Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xealot posted:

...I'm realizing how thoroughly the post-2016 political situation has crushed my dreams and made me cynical. I want to believe but reality keeps disappointing me.

I honestly wonít believe this movie is real until Iím in the theater watching it. I still donít get how this got green lit; last I heard the BR2049 box office killed any chance of it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

G-III posted:

Jodorowsky's dune concepts would have strayed heavily from the source material but goddamn would that have been such a glorious movie had it gotten off the ground.

If that movie had somehow gotten funding I think there was still only like a 25% chance it would have been finished and probably a less than 10% chance it would have actually been good. Iím sure it would have been an ďexperienceĒ no matter what but I donít think Jodorowsky actually had the skills to direct a movie like that. Living on as one of the ultimate What If movies with a lot of rad concept art is probably the best fate it could have had.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Halloween Jack posted:

Having seen that film, he's in it for like five minutes of screen time and I don't remember if he was ever filmed actually moving.

Thereís one of his movies where they green screen him running. Heís just bouncing up and down over a fake background.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

David D. Davidson posted:

Well first there how he runs or rather used to because let's be honest now. Nobody who has ever ran for cardio runs like that. Then there are the reports of his erratic behavior like Rob Schneider talking about how Segal could go from talking to him about how spiritually fulfilled and at peace with himself to screaming at an assistant about killing "whore ex wife" in a heartbeat. Which could be mood swings as the results of steroid abuse. Plus there's the fact that most of his roles these day are acted from him sitting in a chair, which could be the result of just the steroids taking their toll on his body years later.

I feel like cocaine could do a lot of that too. And just being a narcissistic slob

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ingmar terdman posted:

Looking forward to rewatching Lynch and Jodo's Dune, and trying to watch the scifi one for the first time.
Iíll probably end up rewatching the Lynch version but Iím scared to watch the miniseries again. I only saw it when it first aired. I stumbled across a clip of the navigator folding space on YouTube and I thought it was a fan clip somebody filmed with green screens in their basement.

The main positive I remember was that some of the costumes were neat and I liked that everybody had weird accents. Some of that was probably just from hiring cheap Eastern European actors but I donít think Iíve seen another sci fi thing were people spoke in wildly different accents. In a real galactic empire the diversity of accents in a shared language seems like it would be staggering.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I'm re-reading The Dosadi Experiment and so far it's living up to my memories of it being extremely dense (but short!). It feels like a tangent on the evolution of the Sardukar (none of Frank's books get into much detail about Salusa Secundus, do they?). This time around I've also read The Whipping Star which helps with some of the references to alien species & tech, but that book had a pretty goofy antagonist. This seems to be one of his better regarded non-Dune books; are there others that people would recommend?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I just hope part 2 actually gets made :ohdear:

After BR2049 I thought the chances of this being green lit were zero, so I donít know how much money this one has to make for them to continue.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

All of Ridley Scott's director cuts are superior. Across the board.

Alien DC is not better than the theatrical. The cocoon scene was cut for good reasons.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Comedy option of Copolla because Redux is so long it makes the viewer feel like they're going crazy just like Lance

The Apocalypse Now UHD release has a third cut that splits the difference between theatrical and redux. Iím tempted to pick it up but it would be the third time Iíve bought that movie and I think Iíve only watched the Blu-Ray once.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I like Alien 3 but saying that itís better than the original is uh a take alright

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

phasmid posted:

A short while ago we were talking in the GBS Dune thread about Leto's rationale and aside from him wanting to keep people from backsliding into machine thinking there was also a danger over over-orderding society to the point where humans' ambitions would be eclipsed by the new machines they were building, the "trap of prescience".

Itís been a while since I read Foundation but I wonder if there are any parallels. The trilogy does predate Dune, so I wonder if it was a reaction to it at all.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kassad posted:

Not really in the Foundation trilogy (it's also been a while since I've read them but they don't feature robots or computers IIRC?), but there is something similar in novels like The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun. The space colonies are technologically advanced but it's implied that this results in being overly reliant on their robots and becoming stagnant as a result.

Foundation has ďpsychohistoryĒ which is essentially a form of society-level prescience as a science. The later books seemed to imply that knowing the future was the same as shaping it if I remember right; the last couple were basically ďeverything thatís happened was actually this other, even more powerful beingís grand design.Ē

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I donít know if I prefer have a Part 1 with no conclusion or no new Dune at all.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Has anybody watched the fan edit of Lynchís Dune that came out somewhat recently? Not sure what itís actually called - Redux? Spice Diver? Itís on YouTube currently. Itís 3 hours so not exactly something Iíll just watch on a lark.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

kaworu posted:

So everyone wanted to give Lynch a ton of money to direct their big-budget film and do brilliant things with it - he was even approached by George Lucas to direct Return of the Jedi during this time - what a hoot that meeting must have been.

https://youtu.be/EJQ4vCu-S0U

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I remember there were some weird accents on display which I thought was a good touch since people on different planets would obviously talk differently even if theyíre speaking the same language. I donít know if that was intentional or just a side effect of hiring budget European actors though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I watched the ďDune alternate edition reduxĒ aka the Spicediver fan edit of Dune 1984 last night. There were a few awkward moments because he didnít have any footage to work with (one moment that stood out was the beginnings of the Harkonnen attack) but overall it felt pretty coherent. The picture quality was godawful; I didnít realize it was SD-only because some of the footage isnít available in HD and YouTube didnít do it any favors.

It kinda made me tempted to buy that upcoming Dune 4K but I canít remember the last time I watched the theatrical cut. Itís possible Iíve only previously seen the extended cut, and even that was years ago last. Itís a shame Lynch refuses to touch it anymore because there is clearly enough material for an ďofficialĒ improved cut.

Maybe itís because I recently watched Flash Gordon, but some of the production design felt similar. The clunky spaceships & aerial vehicles especially have some of that same vibe and both have some pretty baroque interiors. The shoddy compositing in Dune is also an unintentional callbackÖ (seriously, how did parts of this movie end up looking so cheap?)

Even with a three-hour cut there were parts that felt really compressed. Paul turning into a Fremen and going all Lawrence of Arabia was very stunted. I just donít know how you could have done better in a single movie without radically simplifying the beginning; thereís just too much stuff to cover for a single movie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mike N Eich posted:

We watched the Lynch Dune movie last night for the first time in maybe 20 years for me. It's certainly has its problems, but not without its own charm. I enjoyed myself quite a bit, though that may have been 90% art direction and world building, as the meat and potatoes of the film are not exactly up to snuff.

One thing made me feel like I was experiencing the Mandela Effect though - I distinctly remembered seeing a scene where Paul was challenged by a Fremen to a knife duel, and Paul kills him and was then pledged that man's rations of water for the rest of his life. This wasn't in the version I saw and it drove me mad, until I went to youtube and realized it was a deleted scene likely inserted in the TNT versions of the film I saw in bits and pieces on TV. (Though the water part wasn't in any scene I could find, I may have just imagined that.)

Iím pretty sure that scene was in the Dune Redux fan edit I watched.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mierenneuker posted:

I too remember it from that, mostly because that scene is in terrible quality and features some weird cuts. It's got that "we found this footage on a film reel in the garden shed of a Chilean monastery" energy.

Thatís true for like 1/4 of that fan cut though :pwn:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The vaccines are incredibly effective in preventing you from dying. As weíve seen from this very thread, it does not make you immune. Even if itís ďjustĒ a severe cold that doesnít require hospitalization, that still seems worth avoiding for a lot of people.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Itís been a while since Iíve read the first book, but is it implied that Ix may already have created an artificial navigator at this point?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Didnít his wife die while he was still writing those books? I always assumed that missing her was part of the explanation for the, uh, ďspecial powersĒ that the Honored Matres had

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ccs posted:

Huh so I was under the impression that they filmed both parts one and two at the same time and were just waiting to see how Part 1 did before they spent the $$$ to do all the vfx for part 2. But actually they just filmed the first part. Wonít it be super difficult to get all these huge actors back for a second movie and not run into scheduling conflicts? Especially if this one doesnít do gangbusters because of the 4th wave, WB might cut their losses which would suck.

Yes. A lot of us are assuming the second one will never get made because itís better to be pleasantly surprised than vice versa.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I will be very mad if we donít get a part 2 because Denis threw a bunch of tantrums about the sanctity of movie theaters

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't remember Clark or Asimov being that weird about sex.

Did Clarke even mention it at all?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sponges posted:

Iím watching Lynchís Dune right now and this is a hard to follow slog

The Spicediver fan cut is probably the best you can do with what was shot for that movie but there are still rough parts. If Iíve seen the theatrical cut itís been at least two decades but I can imagine itís very hard to follow given how much shorter it is.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Iíve read a lot of Dan Simmons and I wouldnít characterize him as anything problematic or weird. The most explicit scene I can think of was in one of his horror novels, but it turns out the character was seduced by a ghost or something and didnít act on his feelings.

On the other hand, I tried reading The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton and ugh. I didnít need detailed descriptions of zero-g gently caress chambers. That dude really went out of his way to shove incredibly horny things in among the technobabble. I canít remember how far I got into it before I wondered if it was worth it (itís the first of three books), and yeah, after reading the summaries it somehow involves the ghost of Al Capone being resurrected by some alien bullshit. Nope.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hannibal Rex posted:

Ok, maybe my quote was too obscure, but back around 2006, Simmons wrote that time travel vignette on his blog, warning how Western Civilization wasn't genocidal enough in its war against Islam.

Oh, well, yeah I havenít read a book of his since Drood since I heard he went off the rails politically.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Payndz posted:

So now we know who Neelix was meant to appeal to.

Thereís literally a character whoís a full grown woman thatís only a few years old.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sean10mm posted:

It's creepy either way, but isn't the "covert" pedo stuff in fiction usually more like "looks 12, is actually 600 years old so Actually It's Fine"?

Yeah after I posted that I realized it was backwards. I guess this is more of a case of ďborn sexy yesterdayĒ

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

AwkwardKnob posted:

Have you left the house in the past 6 months? Because reading a post like this leads me to believe maybe you haven't. You're not gonna fuckin die if you go to a movie theater. 80+% of Americans have gotten at least one dose of the covid vaccine. Leave your mask on and sit 6 feet away from other people. It's riskier to ride the bus.

whoís gonna tell him

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I liked it but didnít love it, at least not yet. It felt a bit thin. So many of these actors had so little to do. My impression is that this would be far better as an 8-hour miniseries.

Arrakeen was really weird looking; that never registered as a city to me. I guess it makes sense that the sun would be totally blocked out, but they could have had at least one establishing shot from inside the city looking up at the palace or something. Most of the movie felt oddly depopulated honestly, even when there were crowds.

A strong part 2 could retroactively elevate this one, but Iíll believe that gets made when I see it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Did I see this wrong, or are the Heighliners in this movie just big tubes that open a tunnel between two points in space? IE you just fly through them, you never dock like in the Lynch film. Styling them after sand worms was interesting too.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

gohmak posted:

Can we all agree that this movie was beautiful but the Mini Series is still the best?

I really need to rewatch that. Right now I think Dune (1984) > Dune (2021) for me, but thatís also heavily influenced by the Spice Diver fan cut being my most recent rewatch of the the Lynch movie.

I had a weird thought of someone making an ďabomination cutĒ from the best versions of scenes across all three adaptations :pwn:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't remember this at all? I've skipped through it a few times looking for what you describe and I can't find it. They do very distinctly show the Heighliner in motion and arriving at Caladan which definitely implies the more normal "big transport" interpretation

I think it was when Duncan and the advance party went through.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't remember this at all? I've skipped through it a few times looking for what you describe and I can't find it. They do very distinctly show the Heighliner in motion and arriving at Caladan which definitely implies the more normal "big transport" interpretation

david_a posted:

I think it was when Duncan and the advance party went through.

Actually no, itís when the Reverend Mother comes down for a chat at 21:20. I found a screen cap of it:

(the blue planet looks kind of squished in the movie too)

I donít have time to check whether there was an earlier establishing shot of a blue planet that close to Caladan but it seems odd that there would be.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CapnAndy posted:

I wonder if maybe Feyd-Rautha is going to be folded into Rabban's character. You'd at least introduce the idea of Feyd in this one if you were gonna need him for Part Two, wouldn't you?

The Reverend Mother mentions ďother possibilitiesĒ if Paul doesnít work out, so they did sort of plant the idea of there being a few others on par with Paul.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are we getting to the point I can relax in the knowledge there's probably gonna be a Part 2?

Until they actually start shooting I wonít believe it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Steve Yun posted:

What are the chances of an extended edition

Zero. Denis doesnít even like putting deleted scenes on home releases.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

There will not be a directors cut. Just put that out of your minds as a possibility.

ĒDenisĒ posted:

The Directorís Cut is what people are watching in theatres right now. There will be no other cut. Yes I could have made a much longer, more contemplative movie, but that was not the plan.

ĒDenisĒ posted:

It is true that if Joe [Joe Walker, the editor] and I had let go, we could have done a version of several hours because I filmed a lot. But the final version is really the one that ends up on the screen. I have never done a director's cut of any of my films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Halloween Jack posted:

If the shield was programmed to reject anything that did penetrate it, you'd have problems opening doors or picking things up without turning your shield off first. Maybe you wouldn't be able to touch your shield belt to turn it off.

The real problem with the Lynch shields is that they're never used or mentioned again, so they don't matter outside of that scene.

As for "slowing down but still pushing through," the problem is that a bullet would also do that.

It would have been a lot simpler if they'd just established that anything moving as slow as a sword-swing can penetrate the shield. The only reason to cleave closer to the books is if you actually want to choreograph some kind of infighting, and they didn't.

They are used in the training segment in the beginning as well as during the Harkonnen attack. Duncan turns on his shield before jumping on a bunch of Sardaukar which seems to knock all of them down, and he's killed by some kind of projectile that slowly bores through the shield.