Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can someone point me to a “Dune explained” YouTube video? There’s enough book spoilers here posted without tags that I don’t really care about spoilers anymore.

E: podcast is fine too

Search for Quinn’s Ideas; he has a lot of them explaining various aspects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Since I first watched DUNC I’ve rewatched the Lynch version (theatrical), the extended version of the Sci-Fi miniseries, and DUNC again. I have read the book but it’s been a decade or two since the last time.

The theatrical Dune (1984) is indeed a mess. Having seen the fan cut, I feel a bit more forgiving knowing that they filmed a bunch of stuff that was just hacked out. Jamis’ wife & children are in the throne room at the end even though Jamis isn’t in the movie, nor are crysknives even mentioned! Everett McGill, I love you, but you are truly a godawful Stilgar. The production design is striking at times; by far the most memorable of the three when it works and the budget hadn’t run out. The sand worms are the best out of the three. This is by far the weakest of the three but that doesn’t necessarily make it less interesting. I like stuff like Alien 3 in large part because of the behind-the-scenes story, so I can’t hate this movie.

This was the first time I’ve seen the miniseries since it aired. Obviously the effects are, uh, limited but I expected it. I actually appreciate that they lean into things like really obvious backdrops instead of being ashamed of it. As a straight adaption of the book this is easily the best - the other ones drop so much stuff that this one has time to explore. I like that they added some stuff for Irulan to do. The hats are great (straight out of Moebius) and I liked the Guild reps being total weirdos. I remember when I first watched it I thought it was cool that everyone had weird accents (of course people would, coming from different planets) but it’s pretty apparent it’s just from hiring a bunch of Czech actors and probably not intentional. I’m probably least likely to rewatch this one.

I liked DUNC more the second time, maybe because I knew what to expect (or rather, what not to expect), but I don’t love it. I still think this is a movie that will live and die based on Part 2. An important part of Dune to me is the complexity of the setting & characters which was largely missing from Part 1. If they don’t add some of that back in Part 2 I’ll be disappointed - it might even be a good two-part movie, but it won’t be Dune.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The worst thing I can say about DUNC is also the best thing I can say about the miniseries:

Villeneuve’s work feels like a AAA, high-budget version of the 2000 miniseries; replete with huge special effects, big name actors, and a score to match the scale.

I think they’re the least like each other. In the miniseries I liked seeing things like the formal dinner before the attack, the greenhouse in the palace, the mystery of who Liet is, Feyd’s gladiatorial training, etc. DUNC is a very “opinionated” streamlining of the story that barely covers some of the more fundamental parts of the setting.

Regarding Liet, don’t they actually introduce her as Liet Kynes in this one? I feel like the 84 version also did that. It wasn’t until the miniseries that I remembered it wasn’t revealed until later in the book that Liet was Kynes. I also wonder if this version will keep Chani being the offspring of Liet. I don’t remember the 84 version bothering with it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Coolnezzz posted:

Also holy poo poo this is a derail, to get it back on track I watched Jodorowsky's Dune last night. Dude literally tried to get Dali to play Emperor Corrino.

The best part of the thing was seeing H.R Giger talk about it, he made 5 presentations for the Harkonnen castle and this is my favorite:

In case you haven’t seen this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nwfQaH9K9Q
The design also makes a cameo in Prometheus.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Torquemada posted:

Which begs a question (that I’m positive someone knows the answer to): having established that there’s no FTL communication in the Dune universe, and the Guild charges insane prices for every journey… how do you even book a trip? Say I’m Brendan Oregon and Duke Leto wants to send me from Caladan to somewhere off world, do people just sit around waiting for the space bus to turn up? Is there a scheduled flight?

I don’t think the Heighliners are the only Guild ships. I saw an excerpt from from the Dune Encyclopedia that said they had way more smaller ships than they had Heighliners. I think there’s also some ambiguity about the types of FTL. There’s folding space with the Holtzman drive, but I think there’s other, older FTL drives too.

It might just be a network of smaller mail ships constantly hopping around the universe.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Been forever since I’ve read the books; what exactly did the BG want with a KH? Overtly rule the universe? Improve humanity?

I get that they wanted to carefully “train” their preferred candidate from birth to make them more controllable, but how did they realistically expect to control a being like that? If the KH can see the past and the future, it would be pretty obvious to them that they were being used.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There are only two "official" cuts of Dune 1984 - the theatrical and the extended TV version. Lynch was involved in the theatrical but I don't think he considers it to be "his" since we was forced to remove so much. The TV version had no involvement from Lynch and he made them take his name off of it, which is why it's also known as the Alan Smithee cut.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's at least one more, released as Dune: Extended Edition which contains a bunch of extra scenes and deleted scenes - which is the source of many of the scenes in the Alternative Edition Redux.

That’s the TV cut.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I watched the Lynch Dune last night...

- everything is unbelievably junky looking, like a yard sale
- the squarish shields on people made me laugh as they looked ridiculous
- started to think it won't finish the book because it only had an hour left where Dune 2021 ended, but... it managed to finish it I guess. very rushed.
- honestly was expecting something more incoherent. I never read the book, I just think Dune 2021 explained the plot well enough that the plot points in Lynch's were recognizable.
- the worm designs WERE cooler in Lynch imo
- I actually liked the opening that explains stuff

The shields do look pretty goofy but I think it adds a baroque, inelegant quality to them. The clunkiness kind of helps sell that they don’t have computers in this setting.

The effect was unbelievably painful to pull off too; someone had to cut out a matte for every single flat side of the shield so they could optically print the orange distorted version… for every frame.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kurzon posted:

Part Two should mention the Butlerian Jihad and the ban on thinking machines. A key plot point of Dune is that the spice is essential for space travel, but how then did humans get to Arrakis in the first place if Arrakis is the only source of spice?

This isn’t covered super well, but I think there are two types of FTL in the Dune universe. Folding space with a Holtzman drive is instantaneous but requires a navigator (either machine or organic). They either first discovered Arrakis before the Butlerian Jihad or did it without a navigator.

I don’t know how FTL works in this universe without navigators - maybe they just have to take super small jumps at a time so it takes forever (comparatively) to get anywhere, or maybe they also have some Star Trek FTL that’s just way slower. The encyclopedia mentions the Guild having a ton of smaller ships besides the Heighliners, and given that FTL communications don’t appear to exist in this universe it makes sense there would be a big swarm of smaller ships hopping between planets.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

*Paul takes a step to the sound of shattering glass and stops*
“oh no...”
*another step, more sounds of broken glass*
“our desert...”
*Paul begins to run, each footstep an explosion of shattered glass*
“it’s broken...”

someone’s been messing with house atomics in the desert again

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
In the book, didn’t the Baron have plans that Feyd might become emperor?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

AlternateAccount posted:

Isn’t Sean Young in Planet Dune even?

Based on the trailer, it appears she showed up on set and was presumably paid money. More than that I can’t vouch for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwVZ-2WuJo4

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Bedshaped posted:

I'll probably be finished the book this week. Should I watch the theatrical 84 movie first or just skip to the recut (by Spice Diver)?

I dunno. The recut looks terrible since it’s SD at best and degraded tape at worst, but on the other hand the theatrical is easier to swallow when you can mentally fill in the missing pieces.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Go fuller circle and get Jürgen Prochnow

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I would say the two versions are notable for what they leave out. The entire concept of the Bene Gesserit and what the gently caress that is all about is almost entirely out of the two films IIRC. Some key dialogue, as someone mentioned, “For the father, nothing” is somehow not in these scripts anywhere.

That line is in the Lynch version when Jessica & Mohiam enter Paul’s room. I would link to the Spice Diver edit on YouTube (31:14) but I guess it’s technically illegal; I remember seeing it in the theatrical cut too though

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Looten Plunder posted:

Just saw this last night. Enjoyed it greatly. I had one question though:

The Empire's plan was to give Artriedes control of Arrakus in order to take away their strengths as "masters of the sea and air" and then stage a coup and re-install Harkonnen to govern Arrakus. This is because the Empire see Artreides' influence/power as dangerous so wants them eliminated. That part makes sense.

But why are Artreides seen as powerful/a threat and Harkonnen not? They make it pretty clear Harkonnen is the bigger house, had control of Arrakus for ages, became extremely powerful as a result and have also been skimming billions off the top to make themselves super rich. Why are the Empire threatened by Artreides and not Harkonnen? Why overthrow a less powerful threat and re-install a more powerful one?

Nobody likes the Harkonnens. Leto was very popular among the other houses so the emperor felt there was a real risk he would get deposed (his Sardaukar cannot fend off the combined might of all the other houses).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Looten Plunder posted:

Awesome, thanks guys.

What other houses are fleshed out in the books? Does it go all Game of Thrones with heaps of different big ones clashing with each other?

And if so, why would they invent a totally made up Ordos house for the video game if there were a bunch of others that already exist?

Maybe there was another house mentioned by name (it’s been a long time since I’ve read it) but none of them get any detail.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I literally just finished rereading Rendezvous with Rama and I think it could make a great film. Villeneuve seems like a fine choice since the star of the movie would be the grand vistas of Rama itself.

Morgan Freeman has been trying to get this movie made for decades and the biggest issue seems to be getting the right script.

The heart of the story is exploring the mysteries of Rama, coming away with more questions than answers (Clarke wisely didn’t provide much there), and maybe some grander questions about how we confront the unknown (given Mercury’s actions).

I think it could be adapted into a compelling movie, but a lot of stuff needs to be cut or replaced. Clarke didn’t write this for the characters and it shows - the characters are pretty one-dimensional competent astronauts and there’s random weird stuff like the polygamy and out-of-place horny parts that can be dropped without issue. There are also some specially trained space monkeys that get introduced and… literally never do anything? I guess Clarke just thought up the concept and thought it was cool enough to include Just Because.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Presumably Villeneuve thinks that the script has been solved if he agreed to direct (or is his team writing it too?). I would be pretty lenient of fairly major changes to the story as long as we get some cool shots of Rama itself.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

kalel posted:

sorry, do you mean that Morgan Freeman?

Yes. He wanted to play the commander but that ship sailed a while back. He’s a producer for this one (assuming it actually gets made).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Odoyle posted:

I remember visiting this website in the before times https://web.archive.org/web/20030220143317/http://www.rendezvouswithrama.com/

:lol: theme park rides

This is a pro-click to waste a few minutes. They had Moebius on board with Rama!?! :sigh:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Grendels Dad posted:

But... if Titanic is old and The Shining is older and I'm only one year younger than The Shining, what does that make me?

:ohdear:

the same age as me :(:hf::(

The one that really sends me further to the grave is that Jurassic Park was released closer to the moon landing than today’s date. I learned that factoid a while back so you can pick an even newer movie for it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

kalel posted:

I know she has a song called "geidi prime" so that's not exactly surprising

It’s not a song; her first album is called Geidi Primes and most of the songs have Dune related titles.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Her version would have scrubbed the colonialist stuff...but she was fired because she's not woke enough... especially the way she posed for a photo with a copy of The Communist Manifesto? I like that one album of hers but God drat she seems like a moron

She was saying she was fired for being too woke…

Which I guess is why she’s dating Chelsea Manning now? This sounded like a joke the first time I heard it but I should have known better.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

So you need to cast like Barbara Crampton or Ming-Na Wen as the Emperor which would own.

Elvira, Mistress of the Universe

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ever since that casting was announced I’ve been trying to picture Walken as Wallace in BR2049. I don’t see a scenario where he isn’t better than Jared Leto.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Gurney in the miniseries is how I picture him now. P. H. Moriarty just looks mean and rough in a way that Patrick Stewart and James Brolin don’t.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Are we doing favorite castings now?

I’m not gonna go through all of them, but P.H. Moriarty is the best Gurney. He’s supposed to be grizzled and kinda ugly according to the book. Patrick Stewart comes off as too, I dunno, suave? Brolin is too pretty. Moriarty wins with those S-tier eyebrows. That’s not a man you want to mess with.

I also have to call out Everett McGill as by far the worst Stilgar. Sorry dude, I loved you in Twin Peaks, but that bizarre accent & cadence is horrible.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shanty posted:

It is weird that Momoa gets that whole scene where he shows it to Paul and then it barely shows up again. I mean they use it, but there's no sense that they couldn't just have used a shovel and had a worse time.

I think people intuitively know shoveling sand while you’re on sand doesn’t really work, especially if you’re buried.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Relevant to Enemy re:spiders (link is not a spoiler since it’s a real world statue that you could have know about beforehand).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The banquet scene was a much bigger deal.

Did they actually shoot it? I swore there’s some photos of Jessica in a dinner dress floating around.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There’s not much info on this, but I believe FTL travel existed before the Guild (how the hell did anyone get to Arrakis to discover the spice otherwise?). It’s just way slower and more dangerous than using Navigators. In my head canon it involves talking smaller incremental jumps and sometimes you calculate/guess wrong and jump into a star, whoops!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DarkSol posted:

How would the Guild know that there were Sardaukar in the Harkonnen troop transports? :confused:

They knew because the Heighliner stopped at Salusa Secundus and picked them up. I guess the Harkonnens could have given them plausible deniability by landing a bunch of their own troop transports on the Emperors secretive prison planet, but even if there were some other scheme to smuggle Sarduakar I find it hard to believe that the Guild would be so uninformed/naive not to realize they were transporting them. It’s established they turn a blind eye if you pay them enough.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Boris Galerkin posted:

I rewatched DUNC and in the scene where the palace on Arrakis was being invaded, Gurney leads a bunch of men outside onto the airfield(?) and it both sounded like and looked like Gurney's plan was to lead his men onto the troop transports. This didn't go well of course because all the transports got torpedoed to bits but let's assume Gurney's forces were able to board their transports and the transports took off. Then what? What exactly was the plan here? They were gonna board the enemy's ships good ol' fashioned pirate style or what?

Probably just to escape the massacre. Live to fight another day and all that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Boris Galerkin posted:

Would the spacing guild have let them use their wormhole ship thing to escape?

I haven’t read the books but it sounds like all they care about is money and I don’t see how a bunch of fleeing refugees are gonna pay the toll.

I figured they would just hide in the desert; there’s a lot of it after all. Step 0 is stop getting blown up. Further problems can be solved later.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I always imagined spice harvesters to be really dangerous machines. Mechanical stuff and sand/dust doesn’t go great together, so the workers are probably cleaning and repairing it in real time given how precious the time spent mining is. The David Lynch movie probably colored my view a little since it looks like a grungy factory internally.

I do wonder about the Fremen spice mining but given that there’s only a population of millions and they have reign over most of the planet (versus the trillions(?) that need to be supplied out of the industrial side) they might use less efficient manual means. Teaching a bunch of blue collar off-worlders to walk without rhythm while working out in the open desert probably doesn’t work too well, nor would it scale enough to produce the quantity of spice needed for literally the rest of the known universe.

Besides, I don’t know where the Fremen would get a harvester from unless they built their own. They can’t exactly roll on in to their local Intergalactic Harvester dealer and finance one without raising a lot of questions. Stealing one would be possible I guess, but you would also have to nab the carryall and take out all the scouts and hope it gets blamed on a sandstorm. Plus there’s all the equipment needed to maintain the harvester and carryall which is probably sizable.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Spotted on Mastodon

Builder is credited as Angus MacLane

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t think that’s Alia; that’s somebody sitting in a chair

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Name Change posted:

Unless it adds like 90 minutes of plot it's not going to do much for the second half of the movie.

I really enjoy Dune '84 for what it is, but the last half in particular make it seem insane. IIRC, there's basically no explanation of the kwisatz haderach or the demonic spacebaby at all and stuff just starts happening. There is a Godpug of Dune who gets more screentime than several important characters.

The Redux version is an interesting watch because he combed through every single piece of released footage, took what he can, and remixed some of it in a creative way. For example, the extended exposition dump in the beginning of the TV version was chopped up into lessons that Paul views on his iPad throughout the movie. Really clever and works very well!

There are absolutely additions that help out with the last part (there are several characters I the throne room duel that are completely unexplained in the theatrical version), but even with all of that you can see how little footage was shot for the final act. I’m not sure if that was the production running out of money or if it was written that way, but to be the fair the book flies through that part too…

I really wish Lynch would make an official cut like this so a studio would throw some money at cleaning up the extended footage (some of it is from VHS, somehow) but that will clearly never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I seem to remember reading that the weird artificial sets in Dune 2000 were an intentional stylistic choice since the budget was so low.

I like it. Some of the casting is really good; I think it’s probably my favorite Gurney Halleck. Plus they had the dinner party scene! I also kind of like that the accents are all over the place. I’m not entirely sure this was intentional or just a side product of hiring a bunch of, uh, affordable European actors but it helps sell that these people come from very different worlds.