Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

For those of you who haven't read it, Hyperion is organized like The Canterbury Tales and even calls attention to that arrangement in its chapter titles. The frame story is a bunch of "pilgrims" going to visit a semi-mythical time-traveling robot murder machine called The Shrike, each for reasons they would at first prefer to keep private. They tell each other stories about why they are going to the Shrike.

Each pilgrim's tale is a different genre of science fiction. They are:

1. The Priest's Tale - body horror
2. The Soldier's Tale - military scifi
3. The Poet's Tale - man-out-of-time (a man is frozen and wakes up in the future with brain damage)
4. The Scholar's Tale - magical realism
5. The Detective's Tale - cyberpunk noir
6. The Consul's Tale - space opera

It's an incredible achievement. However it's also a novel without an ending, and in my opinion the much shorter sequel doesn't stick the landing.

This sounds really boss. I would like something like this.

Dunc was good. I'd give it an 9/10. The imagination, setting, atmosphere, design, costumes, cast, effects, etc. were all excellent. Though it did feel clinical, imo...kind of too clean and crisp which I don't mind but I kind of feel like it deterred a bit. I hope the sequel is greenlit.

EDIT: I really liked Rebecca Ferguson and Zendaya in this. Very striking. I even liked Timothee Chamalalalamae. I would give it another 0.5 if it was 6 hours long and dwelled in this setting, it makes it worth it to explore.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The movie was not that hard to follow. I haven't read the books nor really seen the first properly but I could follow this and appreciate the ambiguity and see how the visions can not be taken as literal in addition it does enough to feed you what's going on and spell it out.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would like to see Batista - Batista Bomb a sandworm.

Can this happen? Who has Dennis' number? This needs to happen.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Gilbert Gottfried for Emperor.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/EHK5fBm1YWk

Elmo. DUNC.

I need this edit.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Dunc 2 ruled

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Watched Dune 2 a second time and loved it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Only if performed the same way lmao

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Failed Imagineer posted:

We must all worm for the Lisan al-Ghaib!

Where is Scotty 2 Hotty!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe they should bring Duncan back and spin him off into his own movie series set in the Dune universe but nothing to do with the books. Just Duncan Idaho having space adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s 5/6 of the books though

Hmmmmm….ok then.

Also I want Worm God on screen.