Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tarnop posted:

I don't feel like the film communicates all this very well. The "show don't tell" that someone mentioned previously ends up just being lots of shots of Jessica bursting into tears and I don't feel like the film gives us much more than "mother worried for her family". It's hard to say though, since I remember enough from the book that I know there's more going on. I'm watching it with a friend tomorrow who hasn't read the book, so I might ask him about this afterwards.

I think it seems like that at first, but the scene with Leto really clarified things to me when he says "I'm not asking the mother, I'm asking the Bene Gesserit." Then when he asks if her order will protect Paul, she doesn't answer, she turns the question back at him. That Leto would ask her in those very clear terms felt like it was something in their relationship they both know but never talk about, and Leto was trying to break the emergency glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tarnop posted:

I wouldn't say weak necessarily, and that's much to Rebecca Ferguson's credit as her performance really is excellent. The script just has her burst into tears as many times as it takes for that to be a big thing I remember. I think she does a great job, as someone just mentioned, of indicating that there's more going on under the surface.

It's possible that the second film will reveal more of how much she knew; maybe they didn't want to overwhelm people since there's already a lot going on, or perhaps it was a choice to make Jessica a more sympathetic character with a view to introducing these wrinkles after the audience has decided they like her.

I think it's probably the latter. Paul knows his mother as a Bene Gesserit, but he doesn't understand it as a whole aspect of her in the same way his father does, and he might come to realize that in the second movie.

Steve Yun posted:

Ohhh speaking of Jessica i just remembered an amazing moment

When Paul brings up that he knows Jessica is pregnant, she is utterly shocked like she got caught in a scheme. The implication seemed to be that Paul is accusing his mom of intending to replace him with a daughter so that she can fulfill her job as the grandmother of the Kwisatz Haderach

Is that in the book

It's in the book but I'm pretty sure it's later in the story, after the attack.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 22, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jamis' actor was great, he grabbed his small amount of screen time and squeezes every drop out of it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Steve Yun posted:

Just throwing out a bunch of random thoughts today

It really stuck out to me that a lot of the hardware is dressed like modern American military hardware. Duncan’s flight suit looked like something from Top Gun. The ornithopter’s flight meters were white on black similar to modern flight meters. The ornithopter’s exterior design looks a lot like a military helicopter. And beyond that the tarmac scenes gave me major Desert Storm vibes

By contrast the Lynch movie dressed things up like a 1700-1800’s European story

I think maybe the Atreides' army having a more grounded was supposed to contrast with the Harkonnen and Sardaukar being dressed like Stormtroopers. Just my feeling though.

e: JFC "This is a people story but they focused on CGI"

Yeah they're always putting CGI on the screen, remember how Jessica and Paul's tent was full of Gungans who constantly yelled over their conversation?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah I wonder if maybe he got downplayed some because then you can avoid a lot of exposition about why Mentats exist and what the Butlerian Jihad was.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CapnAndy posted:

I wonder if maybe Feyd-Rautha is going to be folded into Rabban's character. You'd at least introduce the idea of Feyd in this one if you were gonna need him for Part Two, wouldn't you?

Maybe they want people who haven't read the books to not know the Baron's plan of tricking everyone into loving Feyd, putting them in the shoes of the locals. So when he takes over for Rabban and isn't a screaming lunatic the audience will go "hey maybe this Harkonnen is a good guy!"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yes, Paul sees what has to be done and decides it's too much.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 23, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

porfiria posted:

It's the best scene in the movie. There are A LOT of scenes of dudes standing in squares in landing fields and that one crushed it.

I think they definitely wanted to contrast the Atreides with the Sardaukar there, since we're told the Atreides troops are a threat to the Sardaukar (and they get mad about that). The Atreides have discipline equal to the Sardaukar, but the Atreides' is rooted in what we see as "professional army behavior" while the Sardaukar have all kinds of bonkers (cool) poo poo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

smooth jazz posted:

Why did the ladies stillsuits have codpieces?

Helps them store pee.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I hope the second one is a break dancing competition, preferably at a ski resort.

You'll have to wait until Dune Messiah comes out, in that one the Tleilaxu want to shut down the Fremen community center and turn it into a parking lot and the only way Paul can stop him is to use the Weirding Way to perform the sickest dance moves anyone has ever seen at the dance contest.

It was controversial when it came out in 1969, but then it predicted the entirety of the 80s.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SalTheBard posted:

I read the book when I was in 9th grade and watched the Lynch movie right after that, so it's probably been 25+ years since I've read any of the source material. I have a few questions:

Are the Bene Gessert similar to Handmaids from a Handmaids Tale? It seems like all the BG's that we met are concubines, and Leto even tells Jessica "I wish I had married you.", if Leto and Jessica aren't married, where is Leto's wife?

I think this was hinted at, but want to make sure I understand, the BG on Arrakis are the ones that planted the seeds of "Lisan Al-Galib" regarding Paul right?

The Bene Gesserit are a school for women of high society, like how mentats teach you to be a human computer or the Ginaz school of swordfighting taught Duncan and Gurney to be badass. The skills they acquire are highly valuable, such as their perception of subconscious microgestures. So it's considered a valuable asset to have a BG wife/concubine and, as a result, a lot of the important women in society are members of it, including the Emperor's daughters that were mentioned. Of course there's much more to them in secret, but they don't exactly go around advertising that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There was also a period after computers but before spice where space travel was just... extremely loving dangerous.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wafflecopper posted:

do the books explain why vlad is only a baron while leto is a duke? they both seem to have their own entire planet and be comparably powerful before the events of dune

I don't know if this is the specific cause, but they mention in the book one of the reasons the Harkonnens hate the Atreides is that, despite being more or less equal in power, some Atreides in the distant past married a Corrino princess and the Harkonnens can't claim that. So it could be that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

badjohny posted:

Why mess with what works...get Sting to play Feyd.

Have Sting play the Baron's dad, then have a flashback to Big Vlad smothering Sting with a pillow.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

sean10mm posted:

It's also deliberately ambiguous how much of Leto's goodness is sincere vs tactical. I think Leto himself even points this ambiguity out, along with Kynes.

The thing I remember about that is a line from the book where someone mentions they're making film stock out of the waste from spice refining and Leto says something like "of course we are, how will people know how good I am at ruling unless I tell them?"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Randalor posted:

Honest question: is Brian's Dune stuff actually that bad, or is it just glorified fanfiction that ignores stuff from the original novels, but is at least readable?

Kevin J. Anderson's prose is unreadably bad, and Brian is somehow an even worse author than that.

The Butlerian Jihad isn't about machine thinking, it's about writing Matrix/Dune crossover fanfic.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Steve Yun posted:

For my own entertainment, can you tell us some examples

The Baron isn't fat and diseased because he's a hedonist, he's fat and diseased because Reverend Mother Mohaim used her Bene Gesserit training to flex her pussy muscles in such a way that he got a disease.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

porfiria posted:

I feel like all you need to know about the KJA/BH books is that the Butlerian Jihad is imagined as Humans Vs. Robots.

Versus evil robots, you mean.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

hump day bitches! posted:

He also rapes said Reverend Mother.

Wasn't she tricking him into it so that she could check a box off on their breeding program?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did you just actually say that she was asking for it.

Is that a thing you just typed with your human hands.

I'm pretty sure that it is a thing that Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert wrote, yes

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ok, but like I said I know literally nothing about the story of Dune other than what the movie showed me. And what the movie showed me was that those dream sequences did not happen, so going by that am I really dumb to not take much stock in them?

Paul is prescient, but he's not good at it yet so usually his visions come out as dreams that are just metaphors. Jamis tells Paul he's going to teach him the way of the desert in one dream, and he does, but not in that way he dreamed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And also that Dune itself is a response to Foundation where the Mule is our protagonist, so there's an element of inversion for its own sake.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

sean10mm posted:

Doesn't the book basically "OK Boomer" him for that decades before that was a meme?

Yeah Moneo goes "You've had my dick in your mouth, you know."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jessica was considered a sayyadina, so Jamis is not allowed to put his hands on her

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, there are robots involved, but it definitely comes off as a much broader luddite movement than just some Terminator or Matrix style war against the machines.

Like I said previously, the problem with Brian and KJA's books in that regard isn't that they add some man v machine conflict that never appeared in Frank's books; it's that they ignore that the Golden Path ended that conflict's existential thread to humanity. I know I harp on it a lot, but that's the whole point of Siona's vision, which is incredibly important because it's what causes her to finally understand and accept her place in Leto's grand plan.

Leto II said that the Butlerian Jihad wasn't about machines, but about machine thinking. That technology reduced the amount of things people could do without thinking.

Frank Herbert's failson made it into Terminator fanfic because he's too stupid to think of anything else.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pedro De Heredia posted:

On the other hand, the Dune Encyclopedia, which Herbert approved of, said that the Butlerian Jihad began because a hospital director who was also a computer was aborting babies unjustifiably / doing eugenics. The guy who wrote the Encyclopedia said he and Herbert were in the early stages of expanding that story into an actual prequel. So even Herbert Sr. was not opposed to seeing it as something more than a philosophical argument about human potential.

That is the perfect example of "machine thinking" which allows things to be done without thinking about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think Paul isn't good enough at prescience to realize he was seeing the future but not understanding it. Jamis teaches Paul the way of the Fremen, but not in a way Paul expects.