Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i am excited for D U N C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I've never seen the Lynch movie or the miniseries. I'm not sure if I want to.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe I'll check em out after this new movie comes out.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I once sat in a theater behind a bowling alley to see a local theater production called Michael Bay's Super Mario Armageddon, and in a perfect world this would be an actual Hollywood blockbuster. It was one of funniest and most accurate video game adaptations I have ever seen. After the perfunctory jokes about mario brothers, like on the level of "ha ha, we can only walk to the right", it barreled into Bowser's devious plan where genetic supersoldiers kicked off nuclear destruction. The plan was called OPERATION MUSHROOM CLOUD

http://www.citypages.com/arts/mario-and-michael-bay-like-peanut-butter-and-exploding-chocolate-6578956

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 28, 2020

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

is zimmer still trying to pull off really obvious plagiarisms? that is the most notable thing i know about him :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

It's pretty cool if he's a Dune nerd. I don't hate the guy or anything, I just always giggle when I run across his name because of the Gladiator plagiarism thing. I don't know if he intentionally copied Holst but the Mars song is one of the most famous classical music pieces ever (!) and I don't understand how nobody involved in the film noticed the similarities.

e:

Jewmanji posted:

What did he plagiarize?

it's not clear if he intentionally plagiarized anything, but he seems to "recycle" musical themes between films, and the Gustav Holst foundation sued him at one point because of his score for Gladiator. I am no classical music scholar but I noticed the similarities myself while watching the movie. I don't know if this is the best summary but it gives a general idea:

https://youtu.be/cFswFI7fqxU

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 29, 2020

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

A lot of film music (and other types of accompaniment music) is derivative. This is fine because I don't see how someone could honestly fault a composer for playing towards the existing cultural vocabulary of their audience, especially when the music is not the primary element of the work. I just thought it was funny how Zimmer furiously denied that he quoted or referenced Holst in any way when it came to the Gladiator score.

I also still think the core thing to remember here is that Zimmer is a Dune nerd. This means that he maybe has been daydreaming for decades about how to put scenes from Dune to music. That's really cool!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

How much of those books were actually Brian Herbert? I always figured it was essentially KJA writing them with Herbert's name on them as the cost of KJA being allowed to write in the universe.

the only thing i know about kevin j anderson is that i once read someone describing him as the secular science fiction counterpart to evangelical genre author jerry b jenkins, the guy behind "left behind"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Kurzon posted:

From Heretics of Dune, which came out in 1984. I guess by then Frank Herbert realized that the future wouldn't make sense if all machine computers were banned.

As I understand it, in the past, human starships used AI supercomputers to navigate foldspace, but then the war with the machines happened and AI was banned by religious decree, so human switched to navigators and became dependent on the spice for interstellar travel. It's a premise that I'm skeptical of. No real-world religion bans technology. I imagine a religion that tried to ban something as useful as supercomputers would get cast aside quickly once humans got over the emotional trauma. Religions are usually shaped by the practical requirements of the cultures that spawn them.

many religions have banned and restricted technologies, both throughout history and in the present day

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Can't believe I whiffed on Imperial Planetologist Liet Grimes

elon's pushing the autopilot disengage disengage disengage button

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm only on book 3 (it's very boring so far, I kinda liked 2) but wow those horny quotes from the later novels sure are something.

I dunno what it is with old scifi/fantasy authors and pedo adjacent stuff too, it's endemic.
The 10 year old leto is having visions of future sex with a woman and he describes it as "adult beefswelling in his loins" which is the most unattractive and psycho phrasing I've ever read.

Also does "making her toilet" mean something else in the 1960s cause he only ever describes women (and a tiger) doing it? It's like, the lady Jessica, while taking a dump, pondered the golden path.

clasic sci fi has the combination of it being dominated by super nerdy dudes and also being adjacent to the 1960s :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

It might just be projecting what I want to believe, but I'd like to think Herbert would be just as happy to be wrong about this stuff. Even if he'd be easily poisoned by some of the worst memes that emerged after his death.

I have always felt like 60s sci-fi commonly had elements like this, where it was hard to pin an author down on an ideological question because their books deliberately put in more than one view on a subject.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

i'll save myself the trouble of looking it up and assume it's both more nuanced than that and yet also still exactly that gross

D U N C: assume it's both more nuanced than that and yet also still exactly that gross

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I've only just now clicked this thread having no clue what in the world "DUNC" was and finally becoming curious after realizing it has 80 pages so it's gotta be about something significant :v:

I don't have much to add except I once made a really earnest attempt to get into the 1984 film and really just couldn't, and given its reputation I figured it was mostly the film's fault. So I'm surprised from what I've seen of this new one that it doesn't seem to have fixed anything? It really seems like the same movie with a bump in effects and camera work. I don't know if I can bring myself to watch another 2 hours of the sky being barely a different shade of brown or gray from the sand and people running around with that black tube up their nostrils.

At this point I can only imagine the book is so popular because people don't actually have to see it.

a magnificent post in the venerable old style of "are they trolling, or just a dingus"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

wikipedia says box office receipts have already reached about 80% of the $165 million it cost to make

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Not only does Hans Zimmer reference Brian Enos Prophecy Theme as played by TOTO, I swear there are sequences throughout the movie that sound like they're inspired from the MIDI files of Dune II: Battle For Arrakis.

hans zimmer is really good at being "inspired" by musical themes from other sources. he's so good at it that he got sued by the estate of gustav holst for a song in the gladiator soundtrack sounding a bit too much like "mars" from the planets. he is also a huge dune nerd so it wouldn't be too surprising if he is familiar with the games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

also, ICNICICS

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/1450854328319807489