Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I thought this movie was not good. I don't think anyone would've thought it was good, or even made sense as a movie, if it weren't for our cultural relationship with the novel. I felt pretty bored at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

cohsae posted:

Everyone's taking about the Lynch Dune, but what about the miniseries? Apparently it was popular at the time is it any good or does no one care

Oddly similar to the Villeneuve movie in many ways. Less plodding and and of course cheap as poo poo but likewise highly concerned with hitting the story beats from the book and not being as weird as the lynch version.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

stratdax posted:

A movie that's part of a series still needs to be able to stand on its own, and this doesn't. It's internally incomplete, hollow and empty at its core.

This is a big part of the reason the whole thing came off like a very long episode a modern 'prestige' sci-fi show. The movie never made an attempt to be interesting on its own merits.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The lynch version does a better job at demonstrating that humans have mutated themselves into very weird shapes out of their own volition, that the bene gesserit are not the only ones playing with human genetics and that other factions have went beyond generational breeding programs, the spider thing is really a blink and you'll miss it moment in the context of the movie and it's really not clear enough what purpose it does serve, it's just a creepy spider human thing, we don't even know if this is a form of torture or just a kink.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The biggest difference between LOTR and Dune in their 'adaptability' (and we might throw ASOIAF in there as well, alongside LOTR) is that the thrust of Dune's narrative is exposition, monologues and internal monologues, while LOTR & ASOIAF largely describe characters doing things, even if those things are mostly 'characters going from place to place', this is why the Lynch version starts with a massive un-cinematic exposition dump, the significance of the events of dune relies on the setting to a great extent, there are multiple factions which have to be set up, Paul is very much a person to whom the story happens to rather than a character who goes around and does things, at least in the first half of the novel.

Ultimately I think that this makes adaptations of dune just, bad cinema, at least as long as they attempt to stick to the novel to the extent that both Lynch and Villeneuve did. I already said this but to me the movie felt like a TV show with a huge budget, it even ends on what feels like an end of season cliffhanger.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm just waiting for the inevitable Dune anime.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think you guys overestimate how strongly people feel about the mechanical logic of action sequences in movies.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In the movie they say that there are no satellites orbiting arakis so no one could prove imperial involvement.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Hebrew translation turned the Bene Gesserit into "Bnot Hagishrit", which translates to "Daughters of the bridge" (or maybe Daughters of the Link), the translator kind of went overboard with some linguistic similarities and made some explicit connections where Herbert only had some implicit ones. Kwizats Haderach is translated as Kfizat Haderech, which is actually a Jewish idiom meaning someone who can skip over a portion of the road/way, generally in a spiritual or an intellectual metaphorical sense, which is probably where Herbert took the phrase from and also why hebrew speakers tend to see the Bene Gesserit as being connected to Jewish Mysticism.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Defiance Industries posted:

And also that Dune itself is a response to Foundation where the Mule is our protagonist, so there's an element of inversion for its own sake.

Paul is not the Mule, he's the second foundation personified, but I think that Herbert's twist is actually that in a universe where prescience is possible you'll get prescient folks trying to outpredict one another and in the process effectively rob everyone else from their agency and humanity. In Asimov's foundation literally every single living person is a pawn. Asimov's utopia of a perfect paternalistic shadow government is for Herbert a nightmarish dystopia.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-secret-history-of-dune/

tl;dr: Herbert drew a lot of inspiration from a book detailing the history of conflict between muslims and the russian empire in the caucaus in the 19th century, I'm sure he also drew from more contemporary events (and from Lawrence of Arabia), but there's a lot taken from an earlier less known conflict.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
After viewing the movie once in a cinema and watching parts of it at home I really think it's fair to say that movies really shouldn't have such extreme dynamics in their audio, at home I constantly had to adjust my volume knob and in the cinema that loud parts were borderline painful. I'm sure in some perfectly balanced Dolby approved theater it's all perfect and super immersive but whatever, theaters shouldn't be painfully loud and home viewing shouldn't involve constant volume adjustments. Denis.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It has to be anime.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I liked Endymion. Raul is a good dude.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Everything past God Emperor is just some superhero bullshit.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GORDON posted:

Here's a question:

If the guild controls space travel, does FTL communication exist? This would be a good reason reverend mother finally asks Jessica why she had a boy, fifteen years after the fact.

Or are they just delivering mail scrolls ship to ship?

There's never any indication that FTL comms are as big of a deal as FTL travel, it seems like 'news gets around' in the duniverse, there's no indication that the guild controls or monitors communications the way they do travel.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I can't remember if the novels have any indication that the guild ships are jump gates like depicted in the movie, I always imagined that they were just really big vessels that can move as fast as the plot requires them to and that it was really expensive for them to go places, so it always felt to me like dune was of the particular soft sci-fi brand that had implicit FTL communications without delving into the logistics of them at all, it's been years since my last re-read but I really can't think of any instance where FTL communications are discussed as a logistic hurdle, or something particularly expensive. Maybe it's just my bad memory.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I'm bad at reading.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

stratdax posted:

So this right here is why I think the whole "watch out for charismatic leaders and false prophets" interpretation doesn't really work. Like "oh you got what you wished for... And billions have died!" but then it turns out that the universe really actually did need that to happen and everything Paul and Leto II did was necessary and they saved humanity. It has its cake and eats it too.

Like Jessica and Paul use the planted prophecy to their advantage and insert themselves with the fremen and survive... But then they live up to everything the prophecy said and foretold anyway? I mean if Herbert wanted to twist the trope Jessica and Paul could have just caught a spaceship offworld after Paul becomes emperor and told the fremen "so long losers, nothing changes, it was a lie and you all bought it!".

I think the charismatic leaders metaphor is pertinent largely to Paul's story and becomes less relevant when Leto II is in charge, Leto II was never a charismatic leader, nobody celebrated him as a messiah before he rose to power.

not to mention that Leto II saving humanity was only neccesary in the first place in order because the BG were meddling with human genetics trying to breed omniscient dictators, what Leto did is neccesary only in the context of being such as Leto existing in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
people talk about the original star wars movies like they're some forbidden relic that's difficult to attain but the year is 2023 and all you have to do is Google the words Star Wars Despecialized to find copies of the movies restored to the highest quality by some nerdlord who made it his life's work.