Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

sean10mm posted:

How many drugs were in that book?

Spice
Semuta
Sapho
Elacca
Shere
Verite
Water of Life

Etc., etc.

:350:

To be fair aren't like half those essentially the same thing? "Worm poo poo" is the common through line to a lot of them. Like how Crack and Cocaine are the same thing in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Dune is literally "MUSLIMS. IN. SPAAACE!!!" would it have killed them to at least try to give things a bit of mid-east flair? Make the Fremen dress like Bedoins. The Sarduakar should be High Tech Jannisaries. Give the nobility colorful Turbans and poo poo. Instead everyone looks like their from the same generic unadorned gray plastic world all Hollywood Sci-Fi for the past 15 years has been. That Atreides armor is terrible.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

MrYenko posted:

This is the one thing that always struck me as odd about the Dune universe. Control of Arrakis means control of the spice. Control of the spice means control of the entire economy of the empire.

Why the actual gently caress is Dune not continually garrisoned by sardaukar, and ruled personally by the emperor? I mean obviously not as his capitol planet, but why does he allow another layer of management between him and the lifeblood of his entire empire?

I mean honestly why isn’t the guild the government instead of the emperor? When you can warp in, nuke anyone who doesn’t fall in line, and warp out with zero ability to be retaliated against, you have no reason to not be in charge yourself. What’s the Emperor gonna do, seethe impotently from his useless resort planet that he can’t leave with his Sardaukar he can’t get in contact with? Paul could only do it by already controlling Dune, but he could only do that for the mind-boggling reason that in the last ten thousand years the Guild hadn’t just done it themselves.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
“I could effortlessly seize complete and total power over all existence and no one can stop me, but I won’t.” Is something no powerful political power has ever said in human history.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

KaptainKrunk posted:

The Guild are too twisted to by spice to do anything other than navigate, and they don't really have the means or really the desire to harvest and manufacture spice.

It’s not like they would be the ones actually mining it and getting chased by worms. That’s what the peasants are for. Plus if you want to keep your spice supply flowing letting your political rivals control it is the least safe thing you can do.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Might as well ask why Saudi Aramco doesn’t take over the world.

The people behind Aramco totally would if they had the kind of power the Guild has yes.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s really all a question of timescale and sci-fi/fantasy authors not understanding time. Everything about the setting and status quo at the start of Dune is entirely believable over like a 100 to 200 year timescale. Such a system existing that long before Paul knocks over the house of cards makes perfect sense. It’s just that author’s love to throw out “ten thousand years” without really comprehending just how long a time that is. All of human history is maybe 6000 years if you stretch it, so saying that even the most ossified and hyper-conservative system could remain unchanged and unreformed for 10’000 years is unbelievable. It makes a lot more sense in God Emperor though because of the whole “Immortal omniscient worm-man who physically sits on top of the oil” is a game changer.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Halloween Jack posted:

Including the social realism of economics in a setting doesn't have to mean boring conference room scenes.

For example, as ASOIAF goes on, people start talking more and more about food shortages. They had a series of civil wars, then less than 20 years of peace before another civil war, and armies mostly just eat and do nothing productive. Whereas in LOTR, it's hard to imagine elves farming at all.

Well in the books there’s a lot more farming than in the movies. Remember The battle of the Pellenor Gields in the last movie where the Rohirrim fight the Elephants on a big empty plain? In the book that takes place on a massive sprawl of farm land with them having to maneuver around walls and stuff. Or that the dark and lava’y parts of Mordor are fed by huge slave plantations to the south. And depopulation caused by famine and plague are recent events in-universe.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Who would make a good Shaddam IV really depends on if the movie focuses more on the “Final Boss” or “Guy who ignores and fatally misunderstands his collapsing regime” aspect of the character. You’d probably go with the latter if you want to focus more on the Baron and Feyd as the “true” villains. Which I think they’ll probably go with considering the very, let’s call it non-Lynchian, portrayal DUNC had of the Harkonnens.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Jewmanji posted:

Somehow, the Baron returned.

Sorry that doesn’t happen till the book after Messiah.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Quick someone with photoshop skills merge the Titan Sub with the God-Emperor.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Kedzie posted:

My wife went in for a medical procedure that required her to be put under. She immersed herself in Dune content beforehand in hopes of having a tripped out Dune dream while under the influence. I knew she was my soul mate before, but now...! (sadly I don't think she had any Dune visions in the end)

I dunno, you might want to make sure your wife hasn’t been possessed by her grandfather just in case. Offer her a black mud bath and see how she responds.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Scags McDouglas posted:

It's a plot hole in both the books and the movie, but in the movie, Gurney solemnly declared "Your great great grandfather's legacy".

My recollection of the books is that they were stored there eons ago but I could def be wrong.

His great great grandfather had them built, but one of a noble families jobs across the generations is to make sure they are maintained just like everything else the house owns/controls. There was undoubtedly a line in the Atreides yearly budget labeled “Funds set aside for the maintenance, repair, and servicing of the most ancient and noble House of Atreides Stockpila Atomika”.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Tree Bucket posted:

Dune is in the same category of Lord of the Rings. Are they perfect movies? Nope. Is there any possible timeline in which we get better ones? Haha, no.

Also I wonder if bringing out Dune's ecological themes would be... counter productive? Like, ecology today means "can we save this species/habitat/biosphere from humanity" whereas Arrakis is a planet so hostile that humans can't even walk there without risking death. Since ecology generally equals conservation it's really difficult to invoke ecology without also giving the sense that Arrakis is fragile. The spice harvesters are presented as pretty monstrous, but not in an ecological sense. There's never any Avatar-esque montage of battered oil-slick dunes and sad kangaroo mice. I don't think there's a single scene of a harvester in operation that doesn't end in said harvester getting exploded or eaten.

The Fremen basically want to destroy the natural ecology of Arrakis. It’s definitely not a form of “environmentalism” that fits with most modern peoples conceptions of it. If anything modern mores would kinda paint the Fremen in a bad light. Imagine the twitter hot takes about the Fremen destroying the unique environment of the majestic Sandworm so they can put up yet another forest instead of moving to forest-world. Imagine the “crying Indian” commercial but instead of looking at a highway the Fremen (who is played by a Sarduakar actor) is crying because he sees a lush meadow filled with frolicking children and lambs.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
“Just let humanity die bro! Subscribe to r/childfree!” Is not the great rhetorical smackdown you think it is.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Future vision being wrong defeats the entire purpose of the story. And also relies on an essentially willful misreading of it’s themes. It stinks of that kind of media illiteracy so prevalent today that wants more to “win” on the internet rather than engage with the movie that says everything is actually a coma fantasy.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Blood Boils posted:

I dunno about all that other weird stuff, but how would the character being fallible defeat the purpose of the story?

Because the point of that part of the story is "The prescience trap", a theme that goes all throughout the series about how knowing the future is actually kind of horrible in how it basically locks you onto a path ironically "limiting" your choices. And that the ability to see the "greater good" at such a timescale also makes you an evil monster who kills billions because you're no longer seeing things like a person. Without all that it's just "lol Paul sure is stupid spilling his Jihad all over the floor."

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The ending of Jet Li’s The One but it’s all Jason Mamoa’s.

“I’m nobodies bitch! You… are mine! I WILL BE THE DUNC!”
*Last Resort by Papa Roach starts playing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There’s countless quotes in the real Dune books that all but state the jihad was an ideological war of man against man rather than the plot of Terminator. Sure the pro machine side undoubtedly used killbots, but it wasn’t a side led by killbots.