Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Reflecting as a non-viewer, I have a question on the politics and Leto that hopefully the book had something to say on.

With the Atreides being assigned Arrakis, what does Leto envision his plan as being? He thinks he's being set up to fail the spice production quotas, and his plan is to make peace with the Fremem to maximize production. Assuming that all goes well in a year or two, what then? Does he think the Fremen alliance will become military to set up independent power? Or does he want to sit back, collect cash, and set up Paul to maybe even marry into the imperial family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Leto knows that the Emperor sees him as a threat and is setting him up to fail. But as far as he knows, that would mean failing to keep up spice production, losing face among the other Great Houses, losing the Arrakis fiefdom, being marginalized, and then being destroyed by the Harkonnens with the Emperor's tacit approval. But if he can root out the spies and traitors and get spice production going strong, the other Great Houses won't tolerate anyone loving with that, and he'll be in an unassailable position. An alliance with the Fremen would allow him to both recruit the best fighters in the galaxy and improve spice production in dozens of ways.

Thanks, this is a great post and really helps, along with the previous. I guess the final thing effecting my read is whether or not I should take Leto as seeing how he can make the winning move with the Fremen and set Paul up, or if he thinks that he's going to end up with Princess Corrino himself - the difference between a politico who, for moral and other reasons, knows how to make the best movie, and the same with a solid dose of personal megalomania.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Interesting phenomenon

Dune 2 made $81 million over the weekend, which seems a little low for how good the word of mouth is

Seating charts for regular weekday screenings seem empty

Is it possible everyone is willing to wait to see it in imax and it’s a bottleneck?

Obviously it's in his interests to say this, but the CEO of IMAX explicitly floated it:

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/03/dune-part-two-box-office-opening-sparks-interest-in-part-three.html posted:

Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi epic, the second in the Dune franchise, was buoyed by IMAX
ticket sales, which represented around 23% of domestic ticket sales, or $18.5 million.

“The only reason it wasn’t higher is we ran out of seats,” said Rich Gelfond, CEO of IMAX.

Gelfond noted that presales of the film were “really impressive” and that in many locations, tickets for IMAX screenings aren’t available until three weeks out.