Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Movie ruled, saw it with my girlfriend who isn't the biggest sci-fi person but she really loved it too, so hopefully this does have broad appeal and we get the sequel(s) too.

Wasn't expecting so many references to the Old Duke's run-in with the bull though, it almost got a bit silly where it always came up somehow to underline one thematic turning point or another.

Spylde posted:

. Also loved how they've changed the pronunciation of Harkonnen so it more closely resembles the pronunciation of Finnish surname Härkönen which I seem to remember is the origin of the name. Or this last part can be just my Finnish brain hearing things weird.

Can definitely confirm this, it was the first thing I noticed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

flashy_mcflash posted:

Feyd isn't, no. I don't remember if he appeared late in the books or if Villeneuve's merged his character with Rabban but to me Batista was the stand-in for Feyd here.

My guess is they will introduce Feyd in the second movie, maybe with the gladiator scene. But there is absolutely no mention or hint of him in this one so it's also possible it's going to be just Rabban, especially considering how Piter's role is downplayed too.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Thinking about what this movie picks up from the Lynch version that isn't from the books, the Baron flying around with his floaters is a Lynch thing, isn't it? In the book he has them to make him lighter, but I don't remember him straight-up hovering in midair at any point.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Oh that's right, thanks. I guess making floating his main way of moving around is still a Lynch nod, though

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I think the movie looked gorgeous on the whole, but some of the night-time scenes in the desert were a bit hard to watch due to the darkness and the washed-out colours.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Book question, I'm reading Children right now but it's been a while since I read Dune/Messiah so I'm hazy on a few background details: What exactly was/is the Bene Gesserits' plan for Jessica's child and the Atreides bloodline? They wanted Jessica to have a daughter so they could wed her to a Harkonnen male (I guess Feyd?) and merge the two families, but to what end? If it was about merging the bloodlines, then isn't that already achieved in Paul anyway regardless of his sex or eventual partner since Jessica is the Baron's daughter? If it was because they thought that would bring about the Kwisatz Haderach, why was it so important for that to happen a generation later than it did? Plus they're apparently still after those Atreides/Harkonnen genes even after Paul, with all the talk in Children about how they might want Leto II and Ghanima to breed. Was Paul just not incesty/Harkonneny enough for them for whatever reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
You know how Netflix chooses the promo image for a movie based on what it thinks interests you? Well I just added a bunch of old slashers to my watchlist and now my image for the Lynch movie is a picture of Shadout Mapes brandishing the crysknife