Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1250017255045378050?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

quote:

When Dune hits theaters on December 18, it will only be half the novel, with Warner Bros. agreeing to tell the story in two films, similar to the studio’s approach with Stephen King’s It and It Chapter Two. “I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie,” says Villeneuve. “The world is too complex. It’s a world that takes its power in details.”

lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
one of the behind the scenes articles describes the baron as "rhino-like"... can't wait

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
not many people know about seagal's music career :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v4-zYghodc

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/RealChalamet/status/1291861260347351044

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i'm planning to watch the movie "dune" in cinemas (no covid)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah I was curious what David Ehrlich thought of his other movies. He said of Arrival that Villeneuve was better at picking existing music (Max Richter) for his films than he was commissioning scores. So I’m not too worried about his review. He doesn’t seem to care much for any of his movies

his letterboxd scores arrival, sicario and br2049 3/5 stars, yeah.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ZDp9FEvLA

Bunch of new footage, lookin so, so good.

e: Semuta scene confirmed!

i love those fishbowl helmets @ 0:35

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
movie's good

https://twitter.com/mayzierita/status/1451957628419014656

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the bagpipes in this movie are so good

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
irulan freaking out midsommar-style ftw

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dune-part-2-casts-time-blake-nelson-1235292182/

possible fenring???

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
iron council is the best of the three bas-lag books

loving punished irulan

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

exmarx posted:

loving punished irulan

YES

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it's an environmental determinist thing

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

kull wahad...

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
just watched it... i have decided to join the kataib al-shahid al-muad'dib :tipshat:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

abelwingnut posted:

so how does this work?

the prophecy isn't real. it was the creation of the bene gesserit to help maintain power on a generational timeline on a galactic scale. all of it, from head to toe. it was product of imagination.

however, in the cave scene, where he walks in to prove he's the messiah, he's able to read a few of the attendees minds and what not. they're so shocked that they fully convert. he's also constantly talking to alia.

if the prophecy is completely made up, there can be no such omnipotent character. there should be no one who can see all of the past and all of the future. yet, he telepaths in, can see the past, and can see the future.

it's been a looooooooong time since i read the books, so maybe i'm missing something fundamental. but how do i reconcile this?

it's important to distinguish between the 'real' stuff (superpowers produced by training, drugs, and generations of eugenics) and the politics (kwisatz haderach project, lisan al-gaib prophesy, etc.).

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Simplex posted:

Chani just randomly learned how to pilot an ornithopter somewhere

why would that be a surprise. in the first movie her mum helps paul and jessica escape the sardaukar by pointing them to a hidden ornithopter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does the book ever explain why the Fremen are such good fighters anyway? Paul says they've been fighting the Harkonnens for decades, and while I can buy them being very, very good at ambushes / hit and run stuff, the "effortlessly rinsing Sardaukar in hand-to-hand combat" part always felt weird. Like why even bother with asymmetrical warfare if there's millions of you and you could easily just get close to Arakeen and massacre anyone who isn't a Fremen with virtually no resistance? Does the spice exposure give them some very limited precognition or something? I haven't read the books in drat near two decades so I've forgotten most of it, but I do seem to remember the books eventually backtrack on it and make the Sardaukar decent shock troops with good PR rather than unstoppable elite soldiers.

herbert was basically just a "hard times create strong men" guy. the sardaukar are strong because salusa secundus is a hosed up prison planet, but the fremen are stronger because arrakis is even worse. they could take arakeen, but then all the great houses would team up and exterminate them (because the houses and the guild couldn't tolerate spice falling outside of choam's control). unlike paul, the fremen wouldn't threaten to destroy the spice because shai-hulud is sacred etc.