Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, without context I thought the dark version looked better. But you all apparently prefer the shrill yellow nightmare world on the left??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Rather than (just) dunking on you, I'll say this: it's not (just) an issue of taste.

The colors in the original are expressionistic—they are meant to evoke particular feelings and ideas. What you interpret as a "shrill nightmare world" is an intentional effect: the figure is falling down a massive shaft toward the lower levels of the city and toward his (purported) death. He is in danger, he is anxious, and he is overwhelmed—IIRC this takes place in the middle of a chase sequence. The color fades as it moves toward the center because it makes the shaft feel never-ending, rushing toward the figure. There's a movement to the value contrast. Details are highlighted in yellow to emphasize figures and spaces amongst the cold, blue city space. The figure is colored in red, purple, and orange, colors which are absent in the rest of the image, pulling the eye toward him and also making him distinct from the background, focusing the eye on the color contrast between the two, figure and environment.

In the name of "realism," the recolored version flattens everything, reduces detail, and saps the image of all its life. It may be a bit easier on the eyes in abstract (debatably), but it loses so much more than just beauty and elegance in the process. It's like coloring King Kong, or re-grading Suspiria to be "naturalistic."

Ah thanks, that makes sense. Too bad all that expressionistic evocation is wasted on me, the darker version evokes more emotion from me then the "good" one. That one leaves me cold. But then again, I never could understand all that art crap even back in school, and just used my writing skills to string stuff like what you wrote together for my essays, without really understanding or believing any of it. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

You don't notice the redone one looks like every other bland comic out there?

I don't read many comics, and most of those are black and white. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

You also needed to do meditation and yoga.

One of the premises of the book is that 60s new age bullshit actually works.

I remember reading in a later Dune-novel that the first Mentat was trained by intelligent robots, so did Herbert change his mind later or was the message that Humans are so much better at being robots even robots agree?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This entire discussion is confusing the hell out of me, because intelligent machines are a thing in Dune, not just a metaphor. Hell, in the end the seeker machines even show up, and the story finally ends when machines and humans join together.

As far as I can see, this basically invalidates the entire thing of things like this:

Fly Molo posted:

The Butlerian Jihad was akin to the Cultural Revolution- a reaction against that process of consolidation and fossilization, in an attempt to pursue continuous change and revitalization.

The books themselves say the exact opposite of this! :psyduck:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do you present a Dune podcast

I think it's on place 69 of my list of things to do in the future

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

The son books aren't canon and the things you mention are a big reason that it's clear the son didn't understand his pa's work.

Is there some kind of Council of SF that determined this? As far as I concerned, they're canon. And it's kind of weird to claim the son "didn't understand his work" when he was using notes from his father. But I guess as he was writing stuff you don't like, that must mean he is lying, right?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

The notes don't exist.

The prequels make it patently obvious he didn't understand his dad's books if the sequels hadn't already.

You realize by claiming something extraordinary, you also need extraordinary proof. So, where is your proof? Right now, this reads like pure-strained delusion to me.

phasmid posted:

ITT Getting gulled by a pair of hack writers because "they found some hidden notes!"

Just like every con artist that ever wrote or started a cult. :lol:

Even funnier: Groovelord Neato thinking because he doesn't like something it must obviously mean it does not exist. That's a level of mental disfunction that's amazing! Do you think he will start or join a cult soon? :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

I'm going to the theater, but like a Monday 10 am showing, where it's me and 2 others 10 rows away.

I'm planning to do something similar, including waiting till near the end of the theater run, to minimize the other-people-problem

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

...dear god do I hope my cat isn't posting on here.

I should warn you my old cat did exactly this, she really liked walking/jumping on my keyboard at the most inopportune moments to cause maximum embarassment on IRC and SA.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

He's right. I'm glad whenever directors point this out. The only rebuttal from the mickey mouse club is "Well, then why come it make so much moneyzz>??"

The obvious rebuttal to the rebuttal being of course, "for the same reason people eat McDonald's". Comfort food is comfort food.

Fake edit:

Dune, huh. I managed to catch the movie in theater today and man, I was impressed. And not in a B-Movie sense, either! The latest Star Wars movie basically turned imho into a great comedy at the end, so I can't really call it more than "fine". But Dune? Great from beginning to end. The only thing not great is now I have to sit and wait for years until the second part is out.

No wait, two things are bad about the new Dune: 1.) Wait time for part 2 and 2.) This movie wrote a lot of checks and I'm really hoping the 2nd part can cash those checks in

For a more granular review:

I've seen the David Lynch movie multiple times (I just love Patrick Stewart, OK??!) and also the TV-series. The David Lynch movie was a bit much, but it has an odd charm which grows on you. The TV-series I found to be unbearable boring, I felt like I dropped into a deep coma when it started, and only awoke when the ordeal was finally over.

The new movie on the other hand, is like the David Lynch version, but good: It doesn't try to just put the entire book into a blender and try to force it into a single movie, come hell and high water, and it still has the same odd charm of the Lynch-movie. I miss Patrick Stewart, but the rest was so good I kind of forgot about him as long as the movie kept going.

My conclusion: In Germany, we have this saying that you need to try something three times, and only on the third try will it turn out good. After David Lynch's good first attempt, and the TV-series unholy mess, this third try finally turned out well. Good job, Villeneuve! Nice to see you can do more than winning car races!

Go and see the movie now, if you haven't already. Also, don't drink a lot through the movie, or your bladder will hate you.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wizchine posted:

Are these children, or man-childs? What a petty crew of philistines.

children are smarter

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's because Villaneuve accused (some) Marvel movies of being cut-and-paste.

It's like Scorcesee calling them theme-park rides - I like and enjoy Marvel, but it's a pretty accurate summary.

I don't even understand what's the problem with those people, no-one is ranting about how great fast food chains are just because people complain about bad nutrition. But suddenly, with movies it's their identity at threat??? Who cares if your Marvel-movie is just a very expensive Troll 2, you can still enjoy it

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

A lot of them seem to see the movies as positive and affirming instead of just being money-grabs. My sister loves these movies (oddly when we were kids, she thought comics were dumb) and watches them with her kids and thinks they're just great. I don't even point out all the ugly poo poo in them because what's the point. They'll go "wow it's so powerful and moving" and when you laugh at them they'll say "hey let me enjoy my dumb popcorn movie." Always, never fails.

But it's still funny to me that these people ignore the Avengers being funded by the DoD to the point where it affects the entire movie, basically making it propaganda. They'd say it's coincidence but as some poster on these forums eloquently put it some time ago, that's why the Good Guy is an arms dealer and the Bad Guy is an environmentalist.

I always felt that consuming media this way was bad for your mental health. At the end of the day, a movie is a dead thing. It being moving to you personally doesn't mean your entire identity should revolve around it. I would defend the new Dune to the death, but I would also just go play a video game when people on the internet get too annoying when arguing with me. Dune maybe a great movie and an important piece of art, but it's still a dead thing and not worthy of the love and devotion a living entity deserves.

It's like the people who wanted to marry their Game Boy back in the day. It's a completely baffling brain malfunction, as far as I'm concerned

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Spylde posted:

Just came back from seeing this. Echoing everyones thoughts. Movie was great. Ferguson was especially great. Can't wait for the next part.

I really appreciated how they managed to explain stuff just enough so I think movie can be 100% enjoyed without prior knowledge, without there being some massive explanation dumps. Also loved how they've changed the pronunciation of Harkonnen so it more closely resembles the pronunciation of Finnish surname Härkönen which I seem to remember is the origin of the name. Or this last part can be just my Finnish brain hearing things weird.

And yeah, the way music was used was a bit weird here and there (blasting full volume at odd times it felt like), but it added some otherworldliness so I didn't mind that much

Re. Harkonnen pronunciation. I didn't know there was controversy here! The German dub just stayed exactly the same it always was. Gotta love our dumb ultra-conservative dubbing studios...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

I just find it laughable the assumption that this world has city-sized starships capable of doing interstellar travel all without a single computer onboard. I don’t think that’s what Herbert intended. The world seems much more plausible to me if you have crude computers akin to what we had in the 20th century than no computers at all. Again, this doesn’t obviate the need for mentats and navigators etc

If you go further back, you have stories with starships with "computers", that is, big rooms staffed with people doing calculations. Just a bunch of normal engineers, sitting there, pen in hand, writing out calculations. Is that better or worse than having no real machine computer? :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kurzon posted:

The duel felt so cliché. Paul runs into some Injuns in the desert, they think he's a pussy, so to earn their respect he must beat one of them in a duel.

The duel is an execution. Thanks to his visions, Paul already knows he will kill the guy. Up to that point, he thought he could avoid the vision setting him on the path of becoming Space Hitler, but when Jamis just doesn't want to quit and threatens his mother, he gives in and becomes the killer with blood on his hand he saw in his visions. Quite poetic, really.

Sometimes clichés are a good thing!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pointsofdata posted:

I might be wrong but I think in a vision Janis says something like "I will teach you the ways of the Fremen", which is technically true. I liked how it leant into the Greek epic prophecy style of vision.

I'm sure that that opening voiceover must have been edited after the events in Afghanistan, it was so on the nose.

I know, right? :allears:

Though the baron bathing in what looks like crude oil was almost a bit too much.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

When they cut open the door is that a different thing from a lasgun

I don't know if this is a joke post but:

-Things we have IRL: Stuff to burn through an armored door
-Things we don't have IRL: Laser guns

so the answer is probably yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

While watching the movie I figured there was a [technobabble] way different ships would know like they get confirmation that the missile hit or whatever and it's just a given that that missile hitting that ship kills its shields or whatever. We assume a lot of them are after Gurney personally because it's a movie and he's a main-ish character so it didn't stand out to me as weird because of that.

Personally, I'd also assume that there is a way to detect an active shield, considering how much energy those things must emit to do the things they're supposed to do.

Fake edit:

It also just dawned on me that the slow things can pierce shields -> fast things can't is neatly mirrored by the whole laser-thing: Low-energy sources of photons (like sunlight, or a lamp), don't trigger any ill effects because the shield doesn't absorb too many of them, due to the lower energy density. But something on the level of a weapons-grade laser triggers the shield and tries to absorb all those photons, all at once. Since photons don't have mass, whatever weird quantum-bullshit happens next is probably really bad.

It's an interesting idea, even if energy shields in Dune basically work the opposite of most SF-franchises I know.