Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The_Doctor posted:

Humanity in the year 10,000 should look utterly alien and weird, and I'm not really getting that vibe yet. It's like 2500 at best.

Hard same. Dune should look like an acid trip, not like a Christopher Nolan movie but scaled up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I feel like the stillsuits and the Fremen look fine, but the point of the Fremen is that they are an insanely parsimonious, hyper-utilitarian culture forced to live an incredibly ascetic existence in order to survive on the least-habitable habitable planet in the entire galaxy. The problem is that it seems like they've designed the rest of the movie so as not to conflict with the design of the still-suits, when the whole idea behind the stillsuits is that they are an aberrant alien accommodation to the stark world of Arrakis.

The Landsraad Houses live in absurd Kleptocratic hyper-luxury, even the relatively minimalist Atreides. They're supposed to be a pointed contrast to the Fremen, not look only slightly different.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 7, 2020

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Okay, that looks a lot better than the stills they released previously.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Love the redesign of the sand worms. Looking like an eye really feels like a clever touch and I'm surprised no one else has thought to do that
It does kind of make you wonder how crysknives work.

*All fremen fight duels with twelve foot long finger-thin worm cilia*

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Herbert was fantastic at letting a weird detail or turn of phrase do a lot of heavy lifting. You never really get a sense of what the Guild Navigators look like in their glass tanks, but you feel like you do.

The phrase “Orange Catholic Bible” is one hell of an implication all by itself.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Titanic is fantastic, pre-Avatar James Cameron was one of the greatest nuts-and-bolts filmmakers in the industry.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I know I’m not saying anything that anyone else hasn’t said, but the Geidi Prime stuff looks So. drat. Good.

I forget: Is it ever mentioned that Chani is Kynes’ daughter in the first movie? Because it makes a lot of remarks about Paul being an offworlder deeply ironic, since she’s only 3/4 fremen in the books.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

One issue I have with it is that the Yueh won't be in this one. He had my favourite side-plot when it came to the first one when it came to the tooth. The lines when he speaks to Leto are just masterclass. And the end result makes you want to throw a brick at the screen. Like C'MON! They could have at least taken the Baron out in exchange for Yueh and his wife and Leto and most all the Atreides.

This sub-plot also makes little sense to me. Yueh has dealt with the Baron before, at least in the stories. He knows he's petty, cruel, and obviouuussly a double-crosser. Why trust him at all? Is this better explained in the novel? I haven't read it in over a decade. Is the sheer horror of what would be being done to her just enough to make him grasp at straws, and give up everything for a probability of saving her approaching zero?
Yes, it is better explained in the novel

Yueh doesn't trust the Baron and doesn't do what he does to save his wife; he is well aware that she is already either dead or insane from Harkonnen tortures. He does it for two reasons: 1) Yueh has limited truth-sense training from his Bene Gesserit wife, so he knows that if he hears about his wife's fate from the Baron's own mouth, he will know the truth either way, and the thought that she is still suffering is driving him slowly insane. 2) he knows that if he delivers Duke Leto up the Baron himself will personally appear to taunt him, and that this is the only realistic way he has to put himself in position to strike at the Baron.

Yueh destroys the entire Atreides line just for a chance at revenge. When Suk conditioning breaks, it breaks hard.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

The one character I can't come to any grips with is the Reverend Mother. Why was she siding with the bad guys like that?

Because the Bene Gesserit are the bad guys.

The Bene Gesserit both facilitate the destruction of House Atreides and save Paul and Jessica by providing an escape route into the desert (this is more explicit in the book, where Lady Fenring, the one who seduces Feyd-Ratha, leaves Jessica warning notes) because the Bene Gesserit want the Atreides bloodline, but they don't want the wild card of Atreides power and independence. They plan to breed Paul with Feyd-Ratha's daughter to get their Kwisatz-Haderach, or possibly Feyd with Alia (or Jessica!). The Bene Gesserit want a tame Kwizatz-Haderach on a leash that they can data-mine for total human genetic memory and prophetic knowledge and install as a puppet-emperor; they don't understand that a tame KH is a contradiction in terms, and that the KH must, by his very nature, be a whirlwind that shakes the galaxy.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Aurubin posted:

Yeah, that's the plan. I just think it's not a very good one, in-universe reasons notwithstanding. Is that what Herbert is getting at? Despite Leto's omniscience, even he doesn't know if he's doing the right thing? I don't quite get what Herbert is trying to say, or, if it is the turbo-Hitler thing, don't agree with it. Plus big wormy boy.

Well, Herbert died so we'll never really know, but thematically the meat of the Dune books tended to concern itself with the friction between humanity's stated desire for peace and stability and its actual desire for volatility, violence, growth, and individual action. Herbert never came down firmly on either side of the scale, but seemed to strongly hint that his belief is that there is no stable utopia, and that the only worthwhile existence lies in the interplay between these two opposing forces.

To that extent I think you have to look at both the world Leto built while he was alive, and the world that came to be after his death. Leto forced humanity to smoke the whole pack, not just in terms of tyranny, but in terms of stability and stagnation. As much as Leto liked to talk himself up as the ultimate genocidal turbo-Hitler, Leto's Peace was peaceful; trillions of people existing in a perpetual state of enforced, isolated bucolic tranquility, where no one was allowed to make any choices and nothing ever changed. Everyone finally got the thing they insisted they always wanted and humanity, as a collective, hated it.

Then, the Scattering. Humanity expands beyond the edge of known space, and gets up to who knows what. Leto's Golden path enlarged the known universe like an exploding bomb. A thousand years later, Leto's world, the world of the Old Imperium, the world of Bene Gesserit and Bene Tleilax and all the old cast of characters re suddenly faced with an influx of new monstrous barbarian invaders; the Honored Matres. Over the next two books the Bene Gesserit fight the invaders and defeat them, not by destroying them, but by ingesting and integrating them into their own order, accepting their new skills and tools and insights and flaws. And, in doing so, the new united Bene Gesserit Matres discover that the Honored Matres were only fleeing from an even larger barbarian horde that just smashed their own empire, and oh yeah, they were marching this way.

In the bad KJA books these were the machines or whatever, and it sucks. If Frank Herbert had lived I think it would have been something more interesting, but ultimately what it amounts to is a series of endless potential threats, an unending line of barbarian invaders, each in turn invading, and then being integrated into, the core. Thesis (stability) + Antithesis (violent invasion) = Synthesis (integration). That was Leto's ultimate Golden Path: an unending Hegelian dialectic with an ever-expanding universe of new and terrible ideas. It's the ultimate antidote to prescience: a constant influx of new ideas.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There's a clear connection to spice hinted at by the blue water of life worm extract being blue and granting divination powers.
I'm fairly sure that's how it's left in the 1st book' there's a clear connection between worms and spice, but it's vague and hand-wavy. It's not until the third book that Leto II intuits the full Sandworm life cycle, which even Liet-Kynes wasn't entirely aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

disposablewords posted:

Their history involves a lot of being chased or pogromed out of other places before they finally settled on Arrakis. Plus at this point, the only way for them to move is with the aid of someone else with spaceships, and the main groups who can afford or command that either don't give a poo poo or have an interest in keeping them stuck there. The Guild extorts a ton of extra spice out of them in exchange for various favors, they're an entire society of spice miners there as far as the Guild is concerned.

They’re also all irretrievably addicted to the spice, to the point where if they went offworld the amount of spice they would need simply to survive would bankrupt most noble households. Outside of Arrakis, the blue on blue eyes are only seen on people with insanely depraved spice addictions like Piter.