Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

While I'm looking forward to this new adaptation, the promotional stills so far (which look good) just doesn't have that creative aura that the Lynch Dune had. However, I'm sure it will be pretty stellar once you see the final product in full motion. It'll be hard for me not compare the two as I've loved the Lynch Dune as a staple of my media consumption diet since I first saw it at 4 years old.

A lot of people poo poo on Lynch Dune for straying from the original source material, but forget that Herbert himself was heavily involved in the production and came up with many of the changes because he knew what he put on the page wouldn't translate well into a ~2 hour movie. There was a forward he wrote in a republishing of one of his non-dune novels that goes into this that unfortunately I can't find but folks should really watch / listen to this interview series with Herbert himself talking about the production.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCB56D3BC65D21C17

Nerds get caught up on notions of 'accuracy' and 'authenticity' because their brains make them believe that pointing out discrepancies between source and adaptation because they believe it makes them appear to be smart to others. What sucks with this mindset is that it prevents them from actually enjoying something on its own merits.

Jodorowsky's dune concepts would have strayed heavily from the source material but goddamn would that have been such a glorious movie had it gotten off the ground.

G-III fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

Alien is good but imagine the even worse hell timeline we'd be living in if anything had prevented Dan O'Bannon from making Return of the Living Dead

We would never have gotten the Linnea Quigley dancing in a cemetery while naked. Based on that I will agree.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I fear because I was imprinted by the Lynch dune at a very young and tender age that I won't be able to accept these new costume designs as anything but kinda dull.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I prefer this than the 'risk death to see our movie' model they were running with. But the reality as it is today: movie theaters are a thing of the past. Refusing to release this on streaming now will bite them in the rear end.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Titanic had propeller guy therefore Titanic is good.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I was really luke warm on this new movie until I learned Charlotte Rampling is playing Gaius Helen Mohiam. Hell yeah I'm ready to get Rampled.

G-III fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 17, 2021

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

With the exception of special effects rendering, I found this movie to be DRASTICALLY inferior in comparison to the 84 Dune movie.

1. Nothing was as cool as seeing the full sized prop of the guild navigator arriving at the Emperor's chamber
2. Nothing was as imaginative as watching space get folded by the navigators during the crossing, in this movie they just cut from Caladan to Arrakis showing us nothing. Weak.
3. Zimmer's score was BAD compared to the 84 score and I'm aware that the score at the end references the 84 movie. Doesn't make up for the score being awful throughout the movie.
4. Nothing in the movie helped to explain the Harkonnen and Atreides rivalry like the sequence when the Baron responds to the Duke's letter then floats off to attack the flower boy and pull out his heart plug.
5. No pugs.

2/5: Boring, Beige, and Bloated. I'll be surprised if part 2 ever gets made.

G-III fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah when chani says "this is just the beginning" i laughed out loud

e: they did cut a lot of characterful stuff and replaced it with... nothing, since the movie was still pretty slow but rushed at the same time.

no mention of jessica having a son in defiance of the BG

To be fair this exchange did happen but the dialog delivery in this movie is rapid fire speed so it was easy to miss. That was the other weird aspect of this: everyone is just machine gunning through dialog in the most unnatural way.

quote:

also in their haste to not cast any arabs at all, the end of the movie ended up being the whitest actor ever born being forced to kill an incoherently roaring black man was a bit of a weird image

The only way this works without it being seen as awful is if somehow they make part 2 and however many parts it takes to tell Dune Messiah because only by then is it obvious that 'white saviors are bad, actually' gets pulled off. Given what bland forgettable movie this was I doubt they'll make it that far.