Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yueh clearly wasn't under any delusions, hence the tooth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Philthy posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed that the movie showed different branches of the future he was offered.

I'm not sure how he would have got to the other branch. Presumably at some point he could have done something to prevent himself getting in a fight with the dude and going with the Fremen peacefully, but of course by the time they're having the fight it's no-yielding victory-or-death time

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm surprised they didn't do what LOTR did and film two movies at once, then release them a year apart. This film is so heavily "part 1" in every way, which if nothing else takes a lot of confidence

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's a fragile system in place where the noble houses have enough power that if some of them got together they could coup the emperor. House Atreides is powerful and popular, so if the emperor was seen to have a hand in wiping them out he'd have a dangerous amount of people mad at him. If he looks like he gave them Dune and the Harkonnens attacked out of grievance then everyone is just mad at the Harkonnens

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Most of the movie left me really cold, and I'm uncertain why. I don't think it's short on characterisation, and I like the visuals and production design, the cast is great, but I'm just sitting here shrugging at all the big dramatic moments for reasons which escape me.

The gom jabbar scene owns though. I either don't know or have forgotten anything of how the reverend mother will play into things after this, but that scene gives a palpable feeling that she's gotten more than she bargained for with Paul, and may even have just hosed up terribly by subjecting him to this. It becomes clearer as the movie goes on that Paul has some terrible destiny, and the gom jabbar feels like a stepping stone on the way to it. Possibly the real stepping stone is the conversation with his mother afterwards where he finds out he might be "the one" but the point still stands that the reverend mother has set something in motion just by being there.

The shots of a mouse hanging out a way away from the action and the conversation about the date palms were pretty good foreshadowing. Big things are gonna be happening around Paul, whether or not he wants them to. There's a lot of rather blunt exposition in the film, so something a bit more thematic/metaphorical is welcome

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

I know that its only the first half of the story but I would have thought people would realize something was up with all the "chosen one" poo poo around paul right around when he was having a mental breakdown in the tent over how becoming the "chosen one" means doing a galactic genocide.

Also that the very idea of him being the chosen one has been deliberately planted on presumably multiple planets by a shadowy illuminati conspiracy

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

Like or dislike the 2021 version, but the constant referral and comparison to the ‘84 version is excessive and unnecessary.

It's annoying but inevitable. I remember when Zack Snyder's Justice League came out, and most people could seemingly only talk about it in comparison to the 2017 theatrical cut

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

moths posted:

It was also reinforce the notion that the Harkonnans sort of keep their word.

"Here's your wife, she's a spider now" would also foreshadow dumping Paul and Jessica in the desert because look we didn't kill them.

Just a missed opportunity I guess.

The film as-is reinforces that notion already. "We said she would be freed and you could join her. So join her."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm back and forth on that; I don't really buy Momoa as a legendary warrior of such status that the empire's elite legions are warned that he'll be there, but I do buy him as a brave and loyal friend, and given how things go in the movie that's probably the more important aspect of his character to play up

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's a scene early in the movie where Gurney says "the slow knife penetrates the shield" which felt really redundant since they'd already shown it visually with Paul tapping himself and setting off the shield.

One bit I really like is when Duncan is escaping and in the background the big Harkonnen ship lets off thousands of bombs blowing up everything underneath. It was a nice way of underscoring "our heroes aren't getting back up from this"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The shield effects in the Lynch film were really cool, but the thought of dozens of people fighting each other while covered in those crystal cubes makes my head hurt.

E: the red shield signifying the kill in this is neat, though I also think it probably doesn't make much sense. If the shield is glowing then it knows something is there, so why can't it block it?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The darts have little motors don't they? They make a whining sound, I figured they get stopped by the shield but the motor pushes it through slowly. They're not a lot of use I imagine because you can swat it away if you can reach it or whatever- Duncan evades one that's shot at him no problem, but the one that hits Leto is right in the middle of his back where he can't reach

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah that moment works well in the movie, he hears a suspicious noise and puts his shield up, then finds Shadout uhh Bapes(?) and then while he's distracted he gets the dart. In the end, he's betrayed by the very capacity for empathy and compassion that made House Atreides beloved. There's no room for humanity in high-level galactic politics. That's why the Emperor likes the Harkonnens: "they're not human, they're brutal"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Watching a video game review on youtube today, I was reminded that Neuromancer predicted that in the 2030s people would be impressed if you had three megabytes of RAM

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I wish Villanueve had kept the conversation about the bull's head between Shadout Mapes and Jessica. I'll put it in spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the book (even though it doesn't really spoil anything)

Mapes said: "What'll you be wanting me to do first, my Lady?"
Instinct warned Jessica to match that casual tone. She said: "The painting of the Old Duke over there, it must be hung on one side of the dining hall. The bull's head must go on the wall opposite the painting."
Mapes crossed to the bull's head. "What a great beast it must have been to carry such a head," she said. She stooped. "I'll have to be cleaning this first, won't I, my Lady?"
"No."
"But there's dirt caked on its horns."
"That's not dirt, Mapes. That's the blood of our Duke's father. Those horns were sprayed with a transparent fixative within hours after this beast killed the Old Duke."

Gah, I hadn't put together the bull head in the movie and the line about how Leto's father was killed by a bull!

E: also it foreshadows part 2 doesn't it, where Paul will successfully tame the mighty moon worm

moths posted:

This would work where it cuts back to Paul frowning, and your "death" was just a possible future he didn't like.
That would rule, like Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time. It's funny that in that game, dying and reloading isn't diegetically time travel, it's the prince making a mistake as he tells the story to someone else and backtracking to correct himself

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 28, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

If you've read the books, it's obvious that the Harkonnen have turned a person into a spider-gimp for gross sex reasons. If you haven't read the books, this is totally random because they do absolutely nothing to convey that the Harkonnens are obscenely decadent, besides one scene where the Baron is stuffing his face, offscreen.

There are ways to explain things to the audience without lame voiceovers or expository dialogue, but this film doesn't care about that either.

I just wonder how many people praising the film ITT haven't read any of the books? Because I saw it with someone who hasn't read any of the books nor seen any of the previous adaptations, and they had the same reaction a lot of people had to the Lynch movie: this is total nonsense and I don't understand what's happening or why.

I read the first book a long time ago, and only dimly remember a lot of it now. Some of it I've misremembered clearly, like I remember Duncan Idaho going out like a chump, getting his head cut off in the middle of a sentence that was about something else entirely

I think the Harkonnens as decadent perverts wouldn't work so well with the tone this movie was going for. Like in the Lynch version the Baron was a gay rapist with AIDS who flew around cackling and chopped up cows in his throne room and poo poo, something like that would be way out of place here

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'd have liked for the big ships folding space to create a blue portal or something, the same shade of blue that people's eyes go on spice, to visually link spice and interstellar travel. In the movie it looks like these big long ships are just in orbit over every planet and going through them takes you somewhere else, there's no fanfare to it. Should have made it more clear that going from one star system to another is a Big Deal. Obviously a hosed up looking guild navigator wouldn't have gone amiss too

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

We're like peas in a pod, the three of us, let's face it. You want somebody out of the house, I want to get somebody out of your house. Come on- look! You've been to Saturn. Hey, I've been to Saturn! Whoa! Sandworms- you hate em, right? I hate em myself!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

Two of my friends who had no exposure to Dune before commented on it independently after seeing the movie, and I myself despite having read the books years ago and seen the Lynch movie thought it was kind of jarring, so it's not some random complaint. Thanks for your input though cool irreverent movie guy.

I loved the movie, but considering how prominent knife fighting is in it and how central it is to the plot at different points, it would have been useful to include just a bit more exposition on why they're used so much to make the thought processes of the characters a bit more logical. Like all it would have taken is a couple of lines in Paul's training scene with Gurney to explain that, hey, sword fighting is really important in this universe for specific reasons, and not just because it looks cool.

The movie did this though. The scene where Paul trains with Gurney is specifically there to explain why we swordfight in this setting: Paul turns on his shield, taps his sword against it and it goes blue and repels the sword, then he taps it slowly and it goes red and lets the sword through. This is followed by an extremely clunky line of exposition: "the slow blade penetrates the shield". Nobody says "you can't shoot someone with an assault rifle because the bullet would just bounce off the shield" but they don't need to because we've already established that shields repel fast-moving things. The scene also has Gurney get mad at Paul and say "you fight when you have to no matter what mood you're in!" and "these Harkonnens are unbelievably hardcore!" to make it clear that the swordfighting isn't just some weird ceremonial thing, it's a practical skill that Paul needs to master

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I keep catching more bits I like on a rewatch. The scene on Caladan where Paul and Jessica talk about how he might be "the one" has a couple of really cool shots where each sees the other partially obscured by mist, and it reflects how they're seeing each other in that moment: he's becoming more clear to her, and she less clear to him

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jwN1TjN-_g&t=952s

So apparently the reason why so much of the desert is shot at night is that they were really out on the erg in Abu Dhabi and the desert was too hot for the cameras or the actors to shoot in the day.

The Jordan location is the rocky desert and the Abu Dhabi location is the sand dunes.

I went back a bit to where she was talking about Mission Impossible, and was treated to Rebecca Ferguson talking about "fanny farts, that's literally when we fart with our fannies"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

In the book he tells Leto he's certain she is dead. In Dunc he says he witnessed her being taken apart. Yueh is under no illusions; he's letting the baron think so in order to increase the chance his revenge is successful.

In the miniseries he seems to think his wife will be returned alive. Can't remember off hand how it is in Lynch

I think Lynch was the same as here; they said he'd get her back alive but he knows they're full of poo poo and is doing what they want for a chance at revenge

BTW it wasn't until I rewatched Dunc that I noticed the Baron cuts Yueh's head clean off, sweet jesus

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean yeah, I can understand why the oppressed civilization of people living in hiding in caves underground would not have satellites or any orbital warning/defense systems. But that doesn’t explain why the great house of atrteides, a space faring civilization with advanced technology, wouldn’t bring any with them when they clearly know that the whole thing is a trap

They're expecting trouble, but nothing on the level of what ends up happening. The emperor is backing the Harkonnens with his elite troops, no way they'd want to attack otherwise. They send people into the instead of just carpet bombing it because Baron Harkonnen wants to move back in there afterwards, and they want to ensure that the entire Atreides family is wiped out

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Are people talking about a different scene than the one in the tent where he sees visions of a holy war in his name and has a fit and cries and yells at his mother that she made him a freak? What scene made you think "the jihad will be good and Paul is not worried about it"?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

fadam posted:

What's the deal with the hunter-seeker thing that was sent to kill Paul? The guy in the wall looked like he had a headset that was allowing him to control it, so why did Paul moving slow/standing still stop the drone from targeting him? Wouldn't the wall guy just see Paul?
The cameras aren't that great, it detects sound and movement better than someone standing still. Plus Paul stands in the hologram for a bit, which'll make him stand out less

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Complications posted:

Long story short though was that the move to Arrakis was something that Leto thought was the set up to a more political death blow, not the final lowering of his head to the not quite literal execution block.

yeah he was expecting conflict with the Harkonnens, and suspected that it was a plot by the Emperor to weaken both houses. At one point Baron Harkonnen says that the attack on Arrakis- with the emperor's help- cost him all the profits they'd made from Arrakis in the whole time they'd been there. Even without Yuweh's betrayal, it wasn't something Leto could reasonably anticipate

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

And Paul owns him several times and tries to make him yield, but that law also prevents that from happening so it literally forces his hand to kill him.

Which is also portrayed as sad because iirc one of the visions has Jamis possibly being his friend and mentor.

On the other hand, the fact that he's a bit more confident about joining the Fremen after suggests that Jamis's death has made him think the future is in flux, and that he might be able to avoid his destiny.

Maybe he'll meet Anakin Skywalker at some point and get to ask him how trying to prevent a terrible prophecy usually works

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Someone who enjoyed Dunc: "I loved it, best I've seen in awhile etc I have a minor nitpick but I acknowledge it as such and I am interested in more dune" :)

DUNC fan: "gently caress you!!! You're sooo stupid!" :reject:

Is he really? He kinda dies and gets cucked a lot for a supposedly sexy badass. Almost Boba Fett-esque perception vs reality.

He took out a bunch of sardaukar in this film in a tragic last stand, though I remember his death being a lot less dignified in the book

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Vagabong posted:

I always figured that the conditioning was kinda bullshit but they'd managed to get byvon reputation. Everyone knows the conditioning is unbreakable, ergo nobody wastes any time trying to break it when easier targets are available.

I had figured since it was imperial conditioning and the emperor was in on the plan, there was some kind of official bypass they were able to use

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

This is a bonus post! Collect three for a prize!

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 1, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

The algorithm isn't that smart, its a blind idiot god that work entirely off of keyword association. It saw that you watched [Ben Shapiro Content] before and so recommended you more [Ben Shapiro Content] regardless of whether the previous content you watched was pro or anti Shapiro

This is why Ben Shapiro reviews Dune. He doesn't have anything useful to say about it, but if you watched a video about Dune (red letter media review, lore geek explaining what spice is, whatever) you can now get served up a Ben Shapiro video too.

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait... why don't they just have the carryall hangout with the harvester?
There's multiple carryalls and multiple harvesters out at any given time, likely there are less carryalls than there are harvesters.

The harvesters the Harkonnens use in the intro look different, I wouldn't be surprised if they're a more advanced model with a carryall built in

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

On the one hand, it is self-explanatory...

On the other hand, I’m certain there is a cut or extended scene on Caladan where Paul is watching the video about the Fremen’s desert walk and it continues to explain drum sand...

I thought "huh I wonder if drum sand is a real thing"

E: it is not. But I mean, quicksand is! So who knows what's going on with sand?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The United States posted:

I just assumed there was no way for the crew to get to the roof of the harvester, otherwise they would have landed the orthinopeters on the roof as well. Bad design I guess?

That plus the carryall doesn't really seem equipped to get low or land. It probably has a super custom cradle at base that it has to land in carefully and creaks louder every time

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I wished on twittter for a Hyperion film in response to one of those "which unfilmable sci-fi classic would you like to see on the big screen" click bait questions. I hope I didn't cause this

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

One of the main characters is of Palestinian descent as I recall. He's a war criminal but became an anti-war activist. It's a million years since I read the first book but I like that character in the second because he goes one-on-one with the universe's ultimate killing machine to stop it menacing his friends

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I vote for Jason Momoa and like, don't call attention to it at all

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

stev posted:

Tbh that was one of the few times I found the dialogue was drowned out by the score. At first I thought he said "It's sand!" and I was like... Yeah? :shrug:

Paul: [taps the ground] "It's sand."

Jessica: [dawning horror] "It's coarse, and rough... and... irritating..."

Paul: "...and it gets everywhere."

[beat]

Both: "RUUUUUUN!"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

Couple things im curious about ..are we still spoiling stuff? The Duke complains that the equipment the Harkonnens left them is trash but in the prologue part their spice collecting machines look totally different than the jawa sandcrawler things the Ateides use once they get there. Also Khal Drogo flys around in some stealth fighter looking thing on Calaban but on Arrakis they only use the dragonfly things which I think you see in the prologue as well. Are they just completely using old Harkonnen stuff? Did they just not bring any of their superior air power stuff Poe Dameron talks about at home?

The desert isn't kind to equipment, the Atreides' aircraft aren't equipped to function in the desert while the dragonflies are. The Harkonnens were using high-end Nvidia 3090 spice miners but they took those with them and left some Intel HD 4400 chips for the Atreides to play Crysis with

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I should read Hyperion

I would say the sequel Fall Of Hyperion is well worth it as well, it just switches from being an anthology to a big-scale space opera while trying to wrap up the characters' stories.

I would not say the follow-up Endymion books are worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Fall of Hyperion has editor's disease, where the prose frequently lurches to a halt to explain what happened in the previous book. It's funny because absolutely no one could come into Fall of Hyperion and understand what's going on, no matter how much explanations you shove into the second book. I wonder who made that decision.

Yeah this bugs me about it. There's a bit where a character learns The Terrible Truth at the heart of the entire setting, and there's a bit of exposition thrown in as a reminder of relevant backstory that lands in the middle of the sequence with such a clang that it makes me laugh:

quote:

Farcasters were the Core’s greatest gift to us … to humankind. Trying to remember a time before far-casting was like trying to imagine a world before fire, the wheel, or clothing. But none of us … none of humankind … had ever speculated on a world between the farcaster portals: that simple step from one world to the next convinced us that the arcane Core singularity spheres merely ripped a tear in the fabric of space-time.

Now I try to envision it as Ummon describes it—the Web of farcasters an elaborate latticework of singularity-spun environments in which the TechnoCore AIs move like wondrous spiders, their own “machines,” the billions of human minds tapped into their datasphere at any given second.

No wonder the Core AIs had authorized the destruction of Old Earth with their cute little runaway prototype black hole in the Big Mistake of ‘38! That minor miscalculation of the Kiev Team—or rather the Al members of that team—had sent humankind on the long Hegira, spinning the Core’s web for it with seedships carrying farcaster capability to two hundred worlds and moons across more than a thousand light-years in space.