Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

It looks quite... bland? Apart from the voiceover, that is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:

Villeneuve and a lot of the fans treat Dune like something sacred, it's a good genre book, and that's about it.

The white saviour thing is warranted...even if having a saviour is a bad thing in the end it seems to me that Paul is very much portrayed as the magic man who has destiny at his fingertips, and his children are also magic superbeings or whatever who inherit his empire by birthright.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:

I saw this at the cinema in Hong Kong yesterday and I didn't feel it.

The world building is actively worse than the Lynch Dune, because there are no navigators, no emperor, Geidi Prime isn't memorable at all.

It's strange that it gives the story more time to breathe and yet we get what feels like less Gurney and less Yueh. In Dune 1984 isn't there a great scene where Gurney is just jamming out on some sitar-like instrument?

Almost all the sets are blandly minimalist, it feels like future IKEA, not the opulent craziness of the 1984 production design. The Hans Zimmer score is also blandly generic, unfortunately.

The casting was good, but Chani is a non character in this film, by necessity, which just makes the ending even more abrupt after all those visions of her turning to look at the camera.

This all sounds really negative but it wasn't a bad film at all, it just doesn't feel as daring or imaginative as the Lynch version. This sort of makes you wonder what the point of this version even is, because if it's just to be more faithful to the source material, I don't know if that justifies the effort.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:

That's fair enough, narratively DUNC is much more successful than 1984 Dune. And while you can definitely argue that brutal minimalism fits the setting of Arrakis better, I think it's much less interesting for the wider universe as whole, even the matte paintings for Caladan and Geidi Prime were more characterful than what we got here, for example.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:

If Paul isn't magic how can he, a scrawny kid with no real life fighting experience, overcome a seasoned veteran at the end?

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:

Can a book-reader please let me know if "travelling without moving" is in the book at all? Google suggets it's just Lynch, but I found that line particularly memorable and missed the whole space travel aspect in this one.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:

I read the plot summaries of the other five main books on Wikipedia and, uh, I don't think we need any movies beyond the second part. Seems like it devolves into Dune: The Clone Wars.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:

If we compare theatrical cuts then Dune 1984 isn't better at all, because that cut was a mess. The near three hour alternative cut redux or whatever it is that's on Youtube is really good though. I'm sure there's going to be an extended edition of Dunc and it's almost definitely going to be superior to the theatrical release.

Also there's been two slights at Flash Gordon (1980) so far in this thread, as if somehow being like Flash Gordon is a bad thing. Flash Gordon is excellent and probably has more memorable sets and characters than Villeneuve's Dune. Not to mention a cracking soundtrack.

The attack on Mingo city (on the planet Mongo) is much more exciting than the attack on Arrakeen (on the planet Arrakis) in both cinematic Dunes, for example.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:

Pedro De Heredia posted:

There is nothing particularly original or interesting about the Harkonnens being extra cruel or rapey. Its as "run of the mill" as you can get in this kind of story, especially in the year 2021, there's like a billion of these characters on GoT.

The Harkonnens in 1984 Dune have these sort of milkshake boxes filled with beetle creatures that compress them into juice to then be drunk through a straw (Rabban drinks one and licks his lips, tosses it into a gutter and then shares an evil laugh with Baron Harkonnen, because I'm assuming people on Geidi Prime think littering is hilarious), and let's not forget that Thufir's antidote required him to milk a hairless cat with a rat strapped to its back (?).

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:

No Mods No Masters posted:

David lynch probably doesn't really care, he disowned the movie and stopped thinking about it almost 40 fuckin years ago. Respect

He absolutely doesn't care, he didn't even care enough to read the book before adapting it in the first place. Few would be so brazen with other people's dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

how did the discussion about dogmatic screenwriting not highlight the unexplained and unexplainable lengths this movie went to save the dog.

The fact the pug survives to the end shows you that Paul isn't a real messiah, he's just another emperor with pugs laying around in his court.