Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Glad to say the film mostly met my expectations.

Loved the aesthetic. It didn't approach Lynchian levels of weirdness, but there's definitely an otherworldly vibe in a lot of the shots. Sardaukar was an especially impressive set-piece.

The liquefaction of the sand presaging a sand worm was an especially nice touch. As someone said above, it gives you the information that the worms vibrate (or emit a sonic frequency) so they don't tunnel through the sand, but swim it as if it were a fluid.

Really hoping we get an announcement that the sequel is greenlit. A lot of coy winks from the studio head, but nothing official yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alchenar posted:

The coy winks mean nothing, they can't say 'no we've already decided no part 2' because a whole bunch of people would decide not to watch the film they've already made off the back of that.

True. I thought I had worded things so that it was obvious that all the winks mean poo poo. That's why I'm hoping for an official announcement.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

And Paul owns him several times and tries to make him yield, but that law also prevents that from happening so it literally forces his hand to kill him.

Which is also portrayed as sad because iirc one of the visions has Jamis possibly being his friend and mentor.

Visions are not always literal. In my mind that vision was fulfilled. Jamis did the best thing he could for Paul teaching him the lesson he needed to learn. Basically that the desert is without mercy and you can't spare someone because you lack the strength to make the tough choices. It also establishes Paul as a man worth the Fremen's time and effort to help.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheMadMilkman posted:

I want to see the director’s cut so badly.

I thought Villeneuve famously hated the idea of "extended" and "director" cuts and whatever hits the theater is the final, definitive edition.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

neurotech posted:

How much of the first book does DUNC cover?

2/3-ish.

Obviously being a film adaptation, there's a bunch of stuff not included or compressed or combined into other stuff. Overall though I appreciated the film for what it was and enjoyed it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I can't remember if the novels have any indication that the guild ships are jump gates like depicted in the movie, I always imagined that they were just really big vessels that can move as fast as the plot requires them to and that it was really expensive for them to go places, so it always felt to me like dune was of the particular soft sci-fi brand that had implicit FTL communications without delving into the logistics of them at all, it's been years since my last re-read but I really can't think of any instance where FTL communications are discussed as a logistic hurdle, or something particularly expensive. Maybe it's just my bad memory.

Are those jump gates? I thought those were the actual guild ships ferrying all the other ships along. The hollow space is simply the "hold" for lack of a better word. All the other ships get in there and are dragged along when the guild ship folds space.