Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Arglebargle III posted:

Brian Herbert never wrote a book.

I read The Race for God in High School. I remember vaguely enjoying it.* Meant to read Man of Two Worlds at some point, not sure why I didn't.

*Based on reading a summary maybe ten years after I read the book, and going "Oh yeah, that did happen, and also that part," I don't actually recommend the book. I just kind of enjoyed the premise at the time I read it, which was 10th grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Steve Yun posted:

The Fremen religion being deliberately manufactured, was that in the first book?

I'm not yet there in my reread, but I think I remember some point where it goes from Jessica's thoughts (throughout the first half of the book) about how the Missionaria Protectiva has planted so many safeties into the Fremen culture for Bene Gesserit to use, to some (ancestral? spice vision?) Fremen explaining: no we know about your bullshit, we built an actual religion on top of it, it's not your tool but ours.

I might be misremembering. I'll know in like another 50 or 100 pages. (Paul just met Chani for the first time in the flesh, not a dream vision, and is hornier than he has ever been in his life. It's hilarious.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

And Paul's visions of a blood-drenched future that he knows is the only way out for him and his mother.

That's not his only vision, though.

DUNC posted:

He had seen two main branchings along the way ahead—in one he confronted an evil old Baron and said: “Hello, Grandfather.” The thought of that path and what lay along it sickened him.
I've always been a little curious just what it is that lays on that path.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Jo Joestar posted:

It's the Baron, it's not hard to guess.

e: Just in case it is, the Baron is explicitly a paedophile with a sexual interest in Paul and a (sort of implied in the books, explicit in the encyclopedia) previous incestuous relationship.

I mean, yeah. What I mean is: does Paul survive longterm? Is he kept around as a slave of the Baron? Is there some way Paul could gain an established place as A Harkonnen, and become (an illegitimate) part of the family? Maybe he could become the new Harkonnen mentat! Piter's dead and Thufir's old. Complete Paul's training and keep him for that. And the Baron certainly could kill his own daughter if he wanted, but is there any route where Jessica survives? That sort of thing. What lays on the path beyond the Baron's bedchamber.

Martman posted:

The Baron just lying there, blocking the path like Snorlax
:hmmyes:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

My hardcover copy has an appendices. Pretty sure it's more than a glossary. Like some house history and just some additional information. Not sure if any of my paperback copies do.

I know the paperback copy I first read (twenty?) years ago had at least a glossary, and the replacement copy I picked up a few years ago was (as best as I could tell) the same edition. (This one.) I've always assumed it was just a standard part of the text.

I'm doing my reread on my phone, though; it's easier to do when work is slow. I imagine the ebook has a glossary in the back, but I haven't bothered to check.