Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Zurui posted:

Yeah, Messiah is barely even a novel - more of a connecting story between Dune and Children. It's a good quick read but doesn't function well on its own. Children is a great third act but you can see the wheels coming off the wagon (especially in Alia's bits).

Yup. I basically consider Dune to be a trilogy, the rest of the books are sorta separate. Messiah is such a great followup to Dune, Herbert dealt with the sci-fi problem of what you do with an omnipotent hero in a fun way that I haven't seen matched in any other series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Not sure how I feel about that grey armor, it looks kinda like chunky cosplay. Stilgar looks exactly how I always imagined him.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/johnboyega/status/1250809963292889088?s=21

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

That bottom middle picture :stare:

He's like that airsoft kid with the giant head

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qa27NxITlo

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Who gives a poo poo, it would be a way better visual if there was any colour there at all

Caladan also looked a lot more drab than I had imagined it.

:chanpop:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I liked the look of the thopters. VTOL craft that look more robust than helicopters and can also sweep the wings back for speed, that's pretty much perfect.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ingmar terdman posted:

It seems like he's playing with a lot of eye imagery (the round sandworm mouths) as well as like circular voids (again the sandworm, the planet being a pit-like trap for the Atreides, Paul being in that place where the BG dare not go staring back at them). Maybe it's a stretch but that seems to be a motif that gels with the story

It's also a common image in Middle Eastern superstition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazar_(amulet)

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Also keep in mind that the color grading shown here isn't final - trailers are graded separately, by a different team, and with considerations like scene 3 and scene 37 being shown back to back, and edited to seem like one coherent thing when they aren't. The simplest way to match colors in that situation is to bring everything closer to neutral gray; to desaturate.

But yeah Denis keeps things relatively muted in general, so when the color pops it punches you in the face. I love his visual style.

Aren't glowglobes orange? I bet cave interiors are going to be lit really warmly to contrast with the outdoors.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'm pleased that the aesthetic design looks as weird as I was hoping for.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hayden Christensen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Vavrek posted:

I know the paperback copy I first read (twenty?) years ago had at least a glossary, and the replacement copy I picked up a few years ago was (as best as I could tell) the same edition. (This one.) I've always assumed it was just a standard part of the text.

I'm doing my reread on my phone, though; it's easier to do when work is slow. I imagine the ebook has a glossary in the back, but I haven't bothered to check.

I have a 1965 printing of the book and the glossary is in the beginning of the text. I think they made the right call putting it at the end of later printings, you get enough context in the novel to figure everything out.