Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Libluini posted:

OK, without context I thought the dark version looked better. But you all apparently prefer the shrill yellow nightmare world on the left??

Fix your eyes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You don't notice the redone one looks like every other bland comic out there?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think Herbert's actual writing is pretty bad and thus have never been a huge fan of the book as a whole but the universe is so interesting including stuff like Mentats.

I'll never understand why Anderson and lil Herbert thought it was a good idea to make the Butlerian Jihad a generic war against domineering machines I always envisioned it as a luddite kinda thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Aces High posted:

reminds me of what happened with Blurred Lines but I think I wanted that to get poo poo on because it's such a loving awful song

That decision was incredibly stupid and wrong but yeah I'm in the same boat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Butlerian Jihad being a generic robot war instead of a Luddite type thing was so dumb and I'm not sure how little Herbert thought it'd be a good idea.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PeterWeller posted:

Robots being the ultimate enemy is hinted at by Siona's spice vision in God Emperor.

Doesn't mean they conquered us in a generic robot war.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DetoxP posted:

Appears to be some "live" first look with Stephen Colbert, probably leading to the trailer right now:

https://twitter.com/TwitterMovies/status/1303725610666274817

hahah what a bunch of shits. Just post the loving trailer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

You'd fit in well with the high quality twitter chat.

Those replies are right lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't like it.

The shields looked stupid but a lot of the other stuff looked cool.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Herbert was fantastic at letting a weird detail or turn of phrase do a lot of heavy lifting. You never really get a sense of what the Guild Navigators look like in their glass tanks, but you feel like you do.

The phrase “Orange Catholic Bible” is one hell of an implication all by itself.

I thought in the first book the navigators are just fat guys with blue eyes and he decided to make them weird mutants after that.

First time I saw a visual depiction was Barlowe's guide to extraterrestrials and even though his is more accurate to the description I think Lynch's is so much cooler.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"Duncan Idaho" is a name that should be lame as gently caress but for whatever reason ends up badass sounding.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

Wait so did Brian Herbert just write a scene from the movie into the original Dune or something? How weird.

Considering everything else he's done to the franchise that's pretty minor.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

So are the Sardaukar going to have flowing locks or no.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Was Tenet even good?

Got middling reviews which makes it even dumber than they pushed it out instead of either sitting on it or putting it on VOD.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Disney couldn't possibly do Dune dirtier than Brian Herbert, so whatever.

He'd never do it but I'd love an interview with him asking why he turned the Jihad into a generic robot war when it obviously wasn't.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zartosht posted:

They'd hire the failson probably.

Pretty sure they hired him for this one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

david_a posted:

Alien DC is not better than the theatrical. The cocoon scene was cut for good reasons.

Pacing but it is one of the creepiest scenes I've seen in any movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

i thought no one liked alien 3 better than aliens other than me

You're in Cinema Discusso.

Aliens is definitely better but you'll find loads of people here with that take. In fairness to Fincher, most of the issues with the finished product were outside of his control and it's far better than it has any right to be. I'd love to see the alternate universe version without all the nonsense surrounding production.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 10, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Deranged.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This was brought up in the GBS Dune thread but it's incredibly funny that the top two Dune podcasts "accept" the loving dreadful son books including the stupid Terminator war prequels.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mennoknight posted:

the last thing the world needs are dune podcasts imo

I mean every subject is going to get one so it was hilarious finding out in the thread that the two biggest were run by poo poo fans.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's obviously about how humanity became lazy and stagnant due to machines doing everything for us and it's wild the son and Kevin J. Anderson didn't get that. It's supposed to be a neo-luddite revolt.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's so lame though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Libluini posted:

This entire discussion is confusing the hell out of me, because intelligent machines are a thing in Dune, not just a metaphor. Hell, in the end the seeker machines even show up, and the story finally ends when machines and humans join together.

As far as I can see, this basically invalidates the entire thing of things like this:

The books themselves say the exact opposite of this! :psyduck:

The son books aren't canon and the things you mention are a big reason that it's clear the son didn't understand his pa's work.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do you present a Dune podcast

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 13, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Libluini posted:

Is there some kind of Council of SF that determined this? As far as I concerned, they're canon. And it's kind of weird to claim the son "didn't understand his work" when he was using notes from his father. But I guess as he was writing stuff you don't like, that must mean he is lying, right?

The notes don't exist.

The prequels make it patently obvious he didn't understand his dad's books if the sequels hadn't already.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Libluini posted:

You realize by claiming something extraordinary, you also need extraordinary proof. So, where is your proof? Right now, this reads like pure-strained delusion to me.

Even funnier: Groovelord Neato thinking because he doesn't like something it must obviously mean it does not exist. That's a level of mental disfunction that's amazing! Do you think he will start or join a cult soon? :allears:

The evidence is the sequels and especially the prequels.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There wasn't any universe where we got a sequel if it wasn't filmed back to the back with the first movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

They should have filmed it all back to back.

I think even in a world without the pandemic this is the only way we would've seen them both.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They cast the perfect actor for the Baron.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chairman Capone posted:

He also was the newsreader in Rome.

True Roman bread for true Romans!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

phasmid posted:

Without having seen either, I know Skarsgard is going to take it.

Ian McNeice is the best glutton actor in the business (he's also amazing in Conspiracy in a similar role) so I'm not so sure. It wouldn't surprise me if he does but it's not a done deal.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I figure the "bring peace to Arrakis" is just them actually giving a reason for the Atreides to be on Arrakis. Because I swear the book doesn't actually give a public justification for the Emperor giving them Arrakis. It's just "oh we're moving to Dune now". And we know, and they know, that it's because he wants to betray the gently caress out of them, but obviously the Emperor can't come out and say that.

It could also be a way to simplify the background space-politics - we can establish that the Emperor's rule isn't doing great, and that the Atreides are a respected military power, which obviously becomes really important later on.

Not a public reason but the Emperor's stated reason was because the Beast's oppressive rule had been disruptive and the Duke would bring order if I'm remembering right which would explain "bring peace to Arrakis".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

phasmid posted:

Being vaxxed helps but that doesn't mean you're just magically immune. I love Dune but I'm not taking the risk of sitting around with a bunch of people in the same room for ~2 hours. Besides, the government is probably juking the stats a little bit so they look more firmly in control. For sure the vaccine isn't 95% effective or w/e the claim was.

It's actually more effective than that. The vaccines were an unbelievable godsend the problem is people not getting vaccinated.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

phasmid posted:

My data could be outdated. All right. Still, please try to protect yourselves, threadreaders and moviegoers.

It's weird because in some states it's close to over and others the pandemic is raging as bad as it ever has so it's a state by state judgement whether going to the pictures will be safe or not. I'm lucky to be in one of the states closing in on possible herd immunity so it's not really a risk to go but if I was in Florida or some poo poo I'd be as housebound as ever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

You read my mind, I was going to ask whats been keeping it out of print. Is that true? Insane.

The failson and Kevin J. Anderson claim the book Dune is actually an in-universe retelling of Paul's rise by Irulan to explain away all the inconsistencies they put in their books (like Paul traveling to multiple planets in theirs when the trip to Arrakis was his first trip off Caladan).

DarkSol posted:

What's crazy is that The Dune Encyclopedia contradicts Frank Herbert's own work, so I don't get what the deal is.

Mostly how stupid and wrong their prequel books are is my guess. I think the encyclopedia gets it right that the Jihad was a luddite revolt against computers and not a generic robot war.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

david_a posted:

I will be very mad if we don’t get a part 2 because Denis threw a bunch of tantrums about the sanctity of movie theaters

It we don't get the second part it was either never in the cards or the pandemic keeps raging.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah my reason for not going to the theatre is the worry I'd spread it around. I have a job where everyone could easily work from home but the executives only had us work remotely for the first two months of the pandemic when this state had its harshest restrictions. But I haven't been anywhere but home, the office, the grocery store, and occasionally my parents' since this thing started.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's not getting unanimous praise unfortunately.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

In Messiah Paul compares himself to Hitler and he's several orders of magnitude worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Based on the videos thus far they say Harkonnen the less popular way in the movie (I think the only clip from the actual movie is Brolin but in the Houses video several actors and Villeneuve say it) so that'll take a bit of getting used to.