Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jimbot posted:

Not really a fan of the costuming. It's just so... generic. Has no personality.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1250124710953619456

Could be that the really bad lighting is obscuring the details or there aren't any to speak of.

That's pretty much how I'd imagine the Atreides looking when they first land on Arrakis, no-nonsense military stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Mmmmmm now this is Dune.

Looks good but the more I see those gloves the more they bother me.

quote:

"Properly suited, your forehead cap tight, all seals in order, your major water loss is through the palms of your hands," Kynes said. "You can wear suit gloves if you're not using your hands for critical work, but most Fremen in the open desert rub their hands with the juice from the leaves of the creosote bush. It inhibits perspiration."

Skipping the face coverings make sense for a movie but those gloves are just dumb.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Zurui posted:

holy gently caress they finally got the eyes right

that VF piece said they "glow" so I'm not going to celebrate until I see a trailer at least. Even that still looks to have too much white in her whites.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Clipperton posted:

I think what's rubbing me the wrong way about the costumes is that they look mass-produced, and mass production seems at odds with the feudal setting - in fact it seems more in line with pre-Jihad "machine thinking" I guess.

Sietches had all kinds of mass production activity including stillsuit manufacturing

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I demand purpler lips

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

There are six and exactly six Dune books.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

xutech posted:

Rad trailer but I don't like the gospel style theme

as far as dumb popular music songs playing over a movie trailer goes Pink Floyd is pretty good imo

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

mennoknight posted:

Pink Floyd cover is good, bless this trailer and its water

does anybody know who the artist is that did the cover

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

if anybody is gonna be pimped out it will be the Imperials

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Not getting exterminated and being accepted into a society of uncounted guerrilla freedom fighters seems like a pretty optimistic ending imo

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Maxwell Lord posted:

I predict a sorta semi cliffhanger, probably ending after Duncan Idaho sacrifices himself to save their lives.

IMO there is enough footage in the trailer to points to the ending being after Paul kills Jamis. It looks like they combined the initial Paul/Jessica meet Stilgar's band with the Jamis fight in the same scene. Paul salutes with a crysknife; there's shots of him in that canyon wearing a stillsuit with a bloody nose; there's a very brief shot of Paul in combat putting a knife to a black actor's neck; there's another shot of Fremen patting a shell-shocked-looking bloody-nosed Paul on the shoulder as he walks by in slow motion.

That was already the rumored division point and based on the trailer footage I can't see any other way of ending the film.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

phasmid posted:

Gonna commit Dune sacrilege here by stating that Duncan Idaho is not that important of a character.

Don't come at me about the Scattering.

My hot take is that the trailer is the first time he 'clicked' for me so that I understood why God Emperor Dunc would bother to keep him around because he is all kinds of kick-rear end in the trailer

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

moths posted:

I expect that the first movie would end with Beast Rabban getting replaced with Feyd, since it'll look like a victory but then oops no.

That reminds me, we didn't see any Piter de Vries in the trailer. I think that's the only major character with a known casting that didn't show up.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

he looks like an Uruk without the head painted

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

he better come with a globe

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Bug Squash posted:

This is maybe 25% of the size the baron should be. I'm glad they're not going to manslaughter Stellan Skarsgaard for the role, but still.

Well this one is "grossly and immensely fat" by 1960s standards

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'm down with this if it means a good box office and we get Part 2

if they delay it ten months and then cancel DUNC 2 I'll be loving pissed though

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

Titanic is a great movie with basically no flaws.

having to sit through six renditions of that god damned song at my 4th grade talent show was a big flaw imo

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

:sever:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Payndz posted:

Odds that the two "pause the trailer to give the audience a chance to laugh" quips are the only jokes in the entire movie?

It's the only form of good humor Villeneuve allows himself.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Perestroika posted:

Personally I would've liked them to go a bit harder on the spice eyes. I always pictured them as this rather startling alien look, a near uniform blue with just a black pupil swimming inside. But here they mostly just look like regular blue eyes with a slight tinge to the sclera.

I have the same complaint, nobody ever depicts the eyes the way they're described in the book and it bums me out.

My guess is filmmakers have tried it and it just doesn't work on screen for some reason.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/geewhiz_wow/status/1424809644044730374

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Hey what the gently caress was up with the frame rate at the end of the IMAX version?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

TerminalSaint posted:

I noticed that in non-IMAX and had chalked it up to my theatre's projector. It was like when you go to a relative's house and they have that motion smoothing crap still enabled on their TV.

It was so bizarre. Only truly distracting in a handful of shots but I've never seen a movie do that before. I'd love a technical explanation of what happened there

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

They do mention (but don't describe) "slow-pellet stunner"s in the book so it's not like the movie invented the idea from nothing. I'm a huge book nerd and I thought the dart idea from the movie was pretty cool

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

“If Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen…of my entourage…so wishes,” he said, “I relieve him of all restraint... and give him... freedom... to choose, his own course, in this.”

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

please don't try to film God Emperor tia

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

looks like she did her own bangs

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Not watching this clip until the 25th is my gom jabbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

muscles like this! posted:

Lol though at (major spoilers) once again ending on a cliffhanger

gave me major Empire Strikes Back vibes