Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, the movie is the first half. The trailer straight up tells you Arrakis is a trap and that Leto is going to lose it. Weird choice!

The Lynch movie tells you that right up front too. The miniseries a tiny bit less direct but also does it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Ego-bot posted:

Been a while since I've read the book, but was there an explanation of why the Emperor couldn't just greenlight a Harkonen invasion of Caladan instead of loving up spice production for however long with the pointless transfer?

The only thing I can think of is blaming lowered output of spice on Leto and using that as a pretext for wiping them out.

If the emperor acted openly the Landsradd would turn on him. They mention this in the movie.

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

You'd think with how critical spice is the Emperor would want that planet to be part of his personal demesne.

Neither the other houses nor the Spacing Guild would ever stand for that

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Hodgepodge posted:

In the books, the spice is needed specifically because FTL folds space and without precognition it's impossible to plan a route through that space that won't collide with something. Presumably because you have to travel through the intervening space, just in a single instant with no time to react.

Not impossible, just dangerous.

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well ok, so the Fremen bribe the Space Guild not to put satellites in orbits. That’s fine and all but I’m asking why House Arteides, a space faring civilization capable of producing spacecraft and going to conquer/settle a planet, who fully knows that it’s a trap and that they’ll be attacked by the previous conquerors of the planet, who’s only avenue of getting to said planet was via space transport, did not send up their own satellites and other defense systems?

This explanation kinda makes sense, but also medieval castles had moats and stuff.

Because when they great houses ask the guild for permission to put ships or satellites in orbit of Arrakis, the guild says no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Dan Simmons has written a ton of novels and I feel like there's a reason no one talks about any except Hyperion and its sequels.

Well the only really good ones are the Hyperion books and Carrion Comfort. After that he kind of went crazy