Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Clipperton posted:

The Baron's zooming around because he's stoked his revenge plan worked

The laughing guy is Nefud, the Harkonnen guard captain (field promotion after his predecessor got a faceful of tooth gas)

The control box plays semuta music, which Nefud is addicted to (just like he was in the book!)

Aha! I always assumed that the box was controlling the Baron's flight. Like the guy was laughing because he was making his Baron zip around like a cheap quadcopter drone.
You know what? I'm sticking with my interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still angry it exists.

What unholiness is this!?
"I know, let's make it DARK and GRITTY!!!"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

wizardofloneliness posted:

My impression of Leto is that he's ok I guess, but that he seems vastly more concerned with being seen as a serious artist than he is actually doing anything that warrants that description. He just seems like someone who thinks going method, or whatever he thinks method acting is, is enough to qualify as good.

My favorite Leto trivia is the time he gained 70 pounds and gave himself gout for a movie absolutely no one cares about or remembers.

It took me a little while to work out that the thread was discussing the famous actor Jared Leto, not the fictional nobleman Leto Atreides. I think I should get some sleep.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

davidspackage posted:

You young pup!

Gurney, man!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Cacator posted:

Yes, they had motorcycles and pyrotechnics too.

... are you sure your screening wasn't actually under attack from fierce road-nomads?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Agreed.
Also I would be content if the movie consisted entirely of Atreides ships floating around, blasting their doom horns.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'd be okay with skipping all that plot and character stuff, and just having two hours of sandworms emerging from dust storms.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I bet there's an old school paper rpg out there where you have to roll laser/shield interactions on some monstrous d100 table.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The book makes it clear that Paul "only" nukes a mountain out of the way so that his worms can get through to the Emperor. I can't remember if the movie does the same

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That Hark spice harvester was an incredibly vile-looking machine. Loved it.
And the sheer whimsy of Gurney's sail driven harvester...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Famethrowa posted:

it's fine tbh. the only thing that jarred me out of the flow of movie watching was the random ornithopter flying in literal seconds after everyone else took an epicly long worm subway trip. it did not need the complication of the navigator's guild. it's ok for the Harkonnens to look incompetent and arrogant because they were established to be so the entire movie.

They would be a lot more competent if Rabban could go 10 seconds without murdering crucial personnel. RIP Lenses Glued To Face Guy

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Vegetable posted:

I thought it was kinda lame that Gurney’s still alive. It felt really ballsy in the first movie to have a prominent character played by a big-name actor basically die off screen. Instead he returns with a sucky explanation for how he eluded death and exists only to locate the nukes.

It's a book thing- Seemlar's explanation a few posts back takes away the lameness.

Anyway. The sheer whimsy of that sail-driven spice miner! Just give me a movie about that and I'll be happy.

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you're not into characters improbably returning then you're better off tapping out of the series here lol

LOLOL

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I enjoyed Stilgar talking about "the small centipedes" [holds hands about a foot apart]

e: for actual content- Villeneuve Feyd is more interesting than Herbert Feyd. There's the apparent sincerity of "well fought, Atreides" to the gladiator, and he returns Paul's "may your knife chip and shatter" with great enthusiasm. Almost longing? He's still a repulsive monster, but there's that desire for some kind of honor...

Zadok Allen posted:

I thought Walken was pretty good? I think his “plain” style (although the Sardaukar had a heavy aesthetic) was a deliberate choice by Deni to differentiate him and his House from the Harkennons, which I think worked. The real/main villains of the movies are the Harkennons, not the emperor—he’s secondary. The fusion of the Giger/Nazi aesthetic, cannibalism, casual murder of subordinates, gladiator stuff, genocide of Fremen, etc was meant to signify there is nothing redeemable about the harkennon culture and society at all.

This was really interesting too. The book Harkonnens are just gross untethered vice and ambition; the movie Harks are monsters living under a black sun in a geiger hellscape.
But then they're not so different from the Fremen- both groups have been hammered over generations by their planets and circumstances into something ruthless and warped and kinda horrifying.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 9, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Austin Butler loving killed it. His absolute psycho eyes and the way he strongly matched Skarsgaard's voice and vocal inflections.....wow.

Yeah there were a few scenes where I thought for a moment that the Baron was speaking, but it was actually Feyd. Dude's good at voices.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Alan Smithee posted:

why did i think austin butler was australian this whole time

So did I, for some reason

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

MrMojok posted:

Just saw it for the second time and it was twice as good as the first time

e: I want to learn to speak the Fremen language l, as people do with Klingon

Or you could learn that chant-dance thing the Harkonnen commoners do at the gladiator arena. Somehow more unsettling than the Sardaukar throat soloist.

Monica Bellucci posted:

I have read only the first book of the Foundation series - it was an unashamed, unabashed love letter to science and scientists.

I have watched only the first season of Foundation - it is an expensive waste of good actors that uses a lot of computer to display future tech.

Would you say the tv show strayed from the foundation of the books?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Behold, your future Emperor, Fade-Rautha Harkonnen

Anonymous Zebra posted:

the woman that spends the most time with Paul and sees that most of his "miracles" are a result of him studiously watching YouTube tutorials before coming to Arakis

I never thought of it like that. That's hilarious. And then he begins explaining sand-walking to Chani (for only a second or two, at least...)

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 12, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

YaketySass posted:

Bet they would have felt pretty silly if the KH could only access the memories of his male ancestors.

Hi, Gazing Into The Place You Dare Not Look, I'm Dad

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
“You must have wondered,” continued Stilgar, “how the Sietches stay in communication?”
Jessica acknowledged the question and its unspoken assumptions with a half-nod.
“Of course,” she said.
Stilgar gave a faint smile and waved at the far end of the cavern. “You are about to see a thing that few among even our own people have seen. It allows us to remain in contact with one another across the breadth of Arrakis itself. It is called the Zum Meeting.”
Jessica felt her pulse quicken- stilled it. A rectangle of light sprang into being in the cavern, throwing silver-edged shadows across Stilgar’s face.
Is this it? thought Jessica. Could this oblong of light be the secret means by which sietch speaks with sietch?
“Commence the Zum Meeting,” commanded Stilgar.
And then-
Madness!
Jessica recoiled. The light flared, fractured- a mosaic of lights. Distorted fragments of faces seen from strange angles. A nose, an eye, mouths- moving, slipping. A babble of sounds and voices; breathing and the oceanlike roar of fabric shifting, amplified hugely. Jessica writhed before the Zum, her mind a child’s toy boat tossed upon huge cold waves of light and noise.
“Calm yourself,” came the voice of Stilgar. “While you watch, you also are watched.”
The axiomatic truth of this statement brought Jessica back to a state of full awareness. She shook her head. Slowed her breathing. Forced relaxants down nerve pathways ragged with panic hormones. Her training exerted itself; she shed the animal desire for comprehension and simply let her senses absorb. Hadn’t they taught her that, all those years ago? Any perceptual framework could become a cage. Her haste to understand stood in the way of understanding.
As her body calmed, Jessica allowed herself to perceive the Zum. A rectangle made of smaller rectangular images, generally of faces, though a few showed blank swathes of colour. The largest rectangle by far held the visage of a particularly old and distinguished-looking Fremen male. As Jessica beheld the face, she felt the animal panic of the Zum give way to a deeper, unfolding terror- a black-edged flower of dread blooming within her mind.
“No,” she whispered, as understanding ratcheted outwards in merciless concatenating waves of cognition. For she had looked at the older man in the Zum meeting confidently expecting to analyse voice, glance, movement- and had found her skills instantly thwarted. She had stepped out on to a foot that was suddenly no longer there, perhaps had never been there. The man’s visage had been passed through some kind of filter that alternately froze and unfroze the recording- stuttering, rhythmless. The implications were inescapable. Somehow, the Fremen had gained knowledge of the Bene Gesserit's most advanced nerve-reading techniques- and developed this Zum meeting whereby they could be countered. The Zum was a weapon in a war against understanding.
The older man spoke on, but his voice couldn’t be heard, to the evident discomfort of the other younger Zum participants.
He speaks without speaking, thought Jessica. Great Mother! He is a parable from the old tales made flesh!
And her mind raced to her son, Paul, and to the emrbyonic foetal baby zygote within her uterine wombplace.
As the Zum meeting continued, and others spoke, Jessica realised with immense and shameful relief that the abilities granted her by the sisterhood were still of some use:
The Zum participant Grobdar, for instance, was either in the profound meditative trance of a fourth-level bistar, or his camera had frozen. Somarra’s sound recording apparatus had been activated, even though it was not her turn to speak, amplifying the sound of her breathing hugely and causing ripples of alarm through the other Fremen. Subtle twitches of the eye and tendons told Jessica that Kevn had his attention on another screen none of them could see; and Ohnlifanz, the youngest and most desirable of the Fremen females present, possessed a surprisingly high-quality camera and lighting rig for some reason.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kalel posted:

I think he should rewrite all of the (fake, not real) Brian/Kevin novels. it would be invariably better

Listen, bro, I have some fantastic news about Chatgpt,

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

RBA Starblade posted:

ULTRASPICE

e: Seriously read this bullshit

What the gently caress?

I got about a third of the way through that article. It just keeps going

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Scags McDouglas posted:

He didn't actually die when he did that, but I hear you.

I just hope he passes the baton or something and doesn't just declare the franchise over, taking his ball and going home.

I'm sure the good people over at Disney can sort something out.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Legit bummed they didn't have Paul doing the little hopping gesture with his hand

Same, same.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Sci fi authors have a knack for getting things incredibly wrong. Space colonies by 1999 and communication by fax, sort of thing.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bugblatter posted:

I’ve spoken with a few younger people who use iPod classics because it’s a more “authentic” way to listen to music…

This post gave me a very authentic headache.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

MrMojok posted:

There is nobody in the story that is having a better time than Feyd, and it shows in every frame he appears in. It must have been a really fun role to play.

Good point, he's kind of the Baron of this movie in that he seems to enjoy being ghastly.
also

kalel posted:

tell your dad he's a loving nerd

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
re: future history

TURTLE SLUT posted:

Here's a random thought that I wanted to write down somewhere:

In fantasy, the sound design is pretty simple and familiar. You have sounds of horses and swords being taken out of scabbards, metal clinking and poo poo like that, familiar stuff. Even magic is often like, fireballs whooshing. A huge effort to do well of course, but you don't usually have to invent anything new.

In scifi though, you have to create sounds for things no one has ever heard before. How does a spaceship engine sound? It can't be just a car engine, that would be silly - it has to be something more futuristic and interesting, like put tigers roaring through a million filters or something.

I think Dune 1 and 2 do such an excellent job with this that the sound design is instantly iconic. Think about how well you can remember the sound of lasguns, a shield turning on or exploding, the ornithopters, the little thumper things. All the language and throat singing too is so memorable.

In comparison, there's like two hundred Marvel movies and I couldn't tell you a single thing from those that has a memorable sound attached despite them being filled with wacky scifi devices that should make some sort of a noise.

Dune guns sound like they hurt. Dune knives sound like they really hurt.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 16, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Neo Rasa posted:

Who's everyone's favorite minor character? I think mine might be the woman who's job is to drown the worms to produce more water of life.

The Harkonnen mentats who power a holographic battle map just by chanting. Or the pilot with the lenses glued to his face who speaks in a calm and confident fashion around Rabban, which makes you immediately think "well this guy's gonna get his neck- oh there it goes."

Also, did we ever find out why Irulan was wearing chain mail all the time? It looked rad, obviously, but I'm not sure what the intention with that was.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Neo Rasa posted:

Who's everyone's favorite minor character? I think mine might be the woman who's job is to drown the worms to produce more water of life.

It occurs to me that the drowner-of-worms is the only Fremen to know what it feels like to have wet feet.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
They’d hardly be secret then!

Another thing I’ve been wondering about- where do Fremen get food? They never mention farms or hunting, as far as I can remember.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I read an article about Dune's cinematographer. They had trouble with Paul's first worm ride because obviously nothing in reality moves like that. So in the end, they opted for the feeling of being dumped by a massive wave and not knowing which way is up.
It works!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Stillsuits look less complicated than I thought

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's extra great because it's a completely fitting metaphor. Dammit, now I want to see Surf Dune. Wave? Or just Point Break? Or Avatar 2.

Over in the GBS Dune thread, someone noted that the Frank-approved-but-not-entirely-canon Dune Encyclopedia mentions that the garden in the Arrakis palace was planted by a person from a planet named (sigh) Humidis. The following conversation culminated in

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Martman posted:

lord of the rings is Dunedain

In a hole in the ground there lived a Fremen. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms (okay sometimes) and an oozy smell, but totally a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a sietch-hole, and that means fort.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mario is mushroom land Dune. That said I mostly wanted to picture surfer dude Fremen.

Another one from the archives

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CelticPredator posted:

The problem is walken is a human meme. He cannot do anything because you laugh at his hilarious voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43VjLCRqKNk

I read your POST ... in his voice.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kazzah posted:

Maybe people are smaller in the future

The last 2 minutes of Dune 3 will be a twilight zone-style reveal where it turns out the characters were ants in a sandpit all along!!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

AnEdgelord posted:

you can pry the lady fenring scene from my cold dead hands, its by far the best scene in the entire movie and its not particularly close

Yeah it's an incredible scene.
Was her outfit changing constantly during that scene or am I just remembering it wrong? It's great, anyway. Things look weird when people step in and out of shadows under the black sun.
(On that note, I haven't seen a single "and furthermore-" post about the black sun anywhere. Either the internet has gotten something right for once, or staying off twitter was a great idea)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I guess it's to show that the Harkonnens are products of a horrific environment, just like the Fremen or the Sardaukar. For the Harkonnens this has led to a kind of geigerist hyper-autocracy, while environmental pressures forced the fremen to value equality... until the arrival of the lisan al gaib, anyway....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Scags McDouglas posted:

I wonder if Giedi Prime has like that one guy walking around in a toupee, just totally owning it. The ladies are confused, intrigued, maybe even a little frisky.

That or it's shoot on sight.

He's a distant relative of the one Fremen who likes to work on his tan.
You know, ole dead Garry.