Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Proteus Jones posted:

Are those jump gates? I thought those were the actual guild ships ferrying all the other ships along. The hollow space is simply the "hold" for lack of a better word. All the other ships get in there and are dragged along when the guild ship folds space.

Much like the Spider-thing, the ship as gates is a kind of weird invention for the movie... and like... only for that one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Lynch's version kind of mirror's the end of the book... you can almost hear Lynch himself saying "And so on and so on and so on, you get it, we all get it" to the montage of Fremen armies doing Fremen poo poo.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Theres an entire act full of swerves and character deaths cramped into the last chapter alone. The book easily needed another 100 pages.

I think it is a right of passage to experience the whiplash of "Wait, what? That's it?" on how abrupt the ending is.

At least it doesn't NEED another 150 pages like most Neil Stephenson books though. That's an author that you can tell is just like 'gently caress this, I am done" only 80% into most of his stuff.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It’s almost as if DENIS wanted to make a Nolan film or something.

Totes makes me appreciate Lynch’s fevor dream landscapes even if the adaptation was way worse.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The required world building exposition dumps being the narrator of the neat holo-slide projector was a nice touch, especially how they integrated in into the hunter-seeker scene.

It makes Chani's voice over at the beginning seem kind of tacked on. Of course you can't top the actual text's use of the Princess Irulan quotes for the start of each chapter (esp since the reader doesn't even find out who the character is until she's married off to Paul at the end)-- so it is kind of a compromise, I guess.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, Messiah gets a lot of hate because it's mostly people standing around scheming, but it's a legit cool/unique end of Paul as Maud'dib story.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Dune miniseries always has a place in my heart because the first book's adaptation lowers your standards so much that the second miniseries seems awesome in comparison.

Also, I distinctly remember telling my college girlfriend at the time how fukken awesome Dune was and how rad it was being finally adapted properly only for her to fall asleep by like the second commercial break.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Much like BR49, I could easily could take another... let me check my notes... infinite amount of extra minutes in an extended cut

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Star Wars being a rip off of Dune is kind of detrimental to people easily being able to understand the politics of an "Emperor" in the later thanks to most of pop culture being familiar now with the former.

I'm sure most people who have not read the book think of some sort of absolute dictator (and old crone who is an evil sorcerer) when they think of a sci-fi emperor now. Dune's emperor was more of one leg of a wobbly system that somehow has stayed together for ten thousand years due to stagnation before some drug addicted teenager lead a bunch of noble savages to topple everything, for better or worse.

Oops I meant "for worse or worser" in the short term at least.

edit - it's weird to remember that the original Emperor in "Star Wars" (ie: when it was just one movie) was supposed to be an old out of touch man being used by his military. It's why Tarkin had such absolute control of the Death Star and such.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 24, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
One of the many cool world building done in the second half of Neil Stephenson’s Seveneves is that humanity reached a genetic bottleneck and an entire reborn civilization came out of it, but that period had perfect recordings exist until the present time three thousand years later. Religions would be a lot weirder if you had basically archived livestreams of the day to day happenings of your ancient messiahs.

Of course that whole last half the books has so many cool ideas that are kinda unserved by it being a Neil Stephenson novel and thus he gets bored and drops the story ending extremely abruptly.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Famethrowa posted:

I saw the movie in theatres twice and couldn't understand the tent scene so it's a legit problem of the movie

I think the bigger problem with the tent scene was the laffo desert battle, the completely jaring 2008-Iron Man 1 era cgi on his face at the end of it, and the fact that his vision of a jihad is like... two dozen dudes fighting another two dozen

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Polo-Rican posted:

my problem with this scene is that both factions in the battle are wearing nearly identical suits in nearly identical colors. as an audience member, i can only differentiate them because one is on the left side of the screen while the other is on the right side of the screen

This was a major issue with the film, I don’t really get why it couldn’t have been more colorful. It seems like DV is weirdly drinking the Nolan koolaid with visual style or something.

For example, I get that the whole last two thirds of the film is set on a desert, but gently caress if Lynch’s bizarre fever dream vision of an alien desert was far more memorable.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The book is famous for a reason, it goes heavily into the politics and amazing world building but doesn’t get mired down (like in GOT) in like point of view characters/chapters from other houses besides the main ones that matter.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Rama works as a scifi novel because nothing is explained at the end of the thing w/r/t the actual aliens and their ship. As it would most likely be in real life, hence the ~hard scifi~ of it

Not really material to make a film about though. Especially in comparison to DUNC’s simple boy-becomes-prophetized-savior heroes journey that made the first book so popular.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I thought there was also some plot point of the Guild Navigator Eldric or whatev was also helping to block the conspirators’ plan via his own usage of D U N C M A G I C

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I could have easily taken double the run time, the movie didn’t feel slow at all to me.

I think the biggest complaint that most people had was that the movie felt quite abbreviated , I mean, discounting the whole “stealth half a movie” thing. It definitely needs the Peter Jackson extended edition treatment to let the story breath a lot more especially on the pre-invasion parts of the Atreius household on Arrakis.

I really with DV would get off his high horse and release a longer cut. It would make WB a shitload more money too.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I love most of the look of the film but those carryall balloons always look too... early CGI? Or something? They look 90s VFX as gently caress.

I think it is like the texture or the extremely unnatural (on purpose) deployment animation they picked for it or something.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I saw a laffo Baron Harkonnen ACTION FIGURE at the weird fandom section in Target now.

That's my merchandise spotlight corner.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I always like the idea that the actual time line doesn't matter because humans may have forgotten what year it is due to their enslavement to thinking machines for so long.

Same with how no one knows or cares about Earth.

But then again I am sure the failson helped to fill in those gaps of lore that didn't matter.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
For as pretty good as the Children of Dune followup miniseries, oh man was that Dune miniseries... certainly something. Not bad, just... something. There are even dutch angles to the character portrait shots.

Ian McNeice was amazing though. He has been the only portrayal so far that hasn't like had the number one bullet point of "hey make him gross!" He made the Baron actually seem cunning and competent, something that really comes across in the book and doesn't really in both other adaptations. Of course the character has so little screen time in the most recent version that :shrug:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
DENIS needs to release an extended cut seriously

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Baron von Eevl posted:

So when is Villeneuve gonna have Paul get one of those voice guns?

Just as soon as the Weirding Way is ever mentioned.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
While they may be the absolute worst at ever pulling off their schemes, the Tleilaxu definitely have one of the coolest names in all of scifi. Funny since Dune is so full of bizarrely normal names like Paul or Jessica.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
DUUC

But with the U and N turned into a three.

Upside down also, apparently

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks!

Good to hear, was worried we would have to wait another 3 years for the conclusion.

I am pretty sure the Jamis fight happens like 2/3rds of the way into the first Dune novel, so like... yeah you have no worry that they won't finish the first story in this second film.

The chief complaint besides "it isn't a full / complete" story of the first film was that it was so heavily abridged from the novel, with most of the politics and actual interesting world building being taken out. The second part of the novel doesn't have that problem!

I think most people who read the book are always shocked how quickly it moves to an abrupt ending!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
That Children of Dune soundtrack totally slaps and older Alia was a fukken smoke show.

Those are the main things that I remember about that Children of Dune adaptation, even though I honestly liked the shorter Dune Messiah adaptation better of the like two partner or whatever it was. Prob cuz its a very lean an awesome sequel. Children of Dune always felt like 200 pages longer than it should have been.

Oh yeah and Alice Krige was an awesome older Lady Jessica and Steven Berkoff was great at Stilgar.

EDIT STOP EVERYTHING ALICE KRIGE'S MIDDLE NAME IS MAUD WHAT

jeeves fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 15, 2024

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I hope Zimmer does better work on this one because most of the first score felt very meh. It needed more bagpipes and that cool guitar when they were leaving Caladan and less “Okay so yeah you are friends with the lady from Dead Can Dance, we loving know already dude we’ve known since Gladiator”

The most laffo part was that the epic bagpipes wasn’t even on the original soundtrack but like on one of money grab ULTIMATE SPECIAL EDITIONS

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

aledesma posted:

q: how good is the dune miniseries? I would like to watch it after dunc2.

Also what is the right pronunciation for Harkonnen? the dunc or 1984/audiobook

It’s a really good adaptation with dated sfx and like ridiculous college play at some sort of fashion school customs.

The followup series is even better, especially since it’s the only adaptation of Dune Messiah or Children so far, and for the most part cast of the followup is like the best of all adaptations so far.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Haaaaar-co-NAAAAAAAN is the proper and only way.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Denny’s Dune definitely suffered from lack of breathing room in the Arrakeen palace and such. The dread of knowing there is a spy and them waiting for the hammer to fall is such a good part of the book.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Kart Barfunkel posted:

He better go crazy designing the Tleilaxu.

Cast Kurtwood Smith just for the immortal line of “Bijaz, leave.”

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

smoobles posted:

-If everyone's got laser guns that can slice a spaceship in half from 10 miles away why do they need to fight up close?

Lost in the adaption from the book: if you shoot a laser at a shield both sides explode.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The lack of navigators is baffling.

A whole major plot point of the end of the first novel is that Paul realizes the spice comes from worms and he can kill all of the worms this crippling space travel. This causes the navigators to side with him cuz the spice must flow.

Crazy that like… none of that is mentioned. It’s like the whole reason Paul becomes emperor instead of the rest of the houses rising up against him for knocking over the status quo.

Com’on, at least mention CHOAM once cuz that term is so laff.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sort of in parallel with someone likeCS Lewis becoming more super religious as he aged with his writing- Herbert got more H O R N Y

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm still laughing at the casting of Walkin. "Muuu--AAUWWW--DIB!"

Like... was it really because DENIS just saw the Fatboy Slim video a lot in 2001?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Tleilaxu is a god-tier cool sci-fi name and it's not even in the first book at all.

Edit - barely in the first book. The Baron orders a new mentat from them after Piter dies.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 8, 2024

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Like in this film, what was the actual point of Paul taking the water of life? They cut out his first son’s murder, so it’s like “ok I didn’t see them bombarding the village oh no” but it’s like… ok? Then he like says a few yo momma jokes to other tribe leaders using his new found gene memories but like, nothing else is really made of it? Besides it just seems to give him ~CONFIDENCE~

It just seems pretty silly in this adaptation, so much was edited down it’s like, why even bother with that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Apparently Alicia Witt as Alia in Lynch’s Dune had a super Boston accent as a kid, probably one of the many reasons for her being dubbed over.

It makes me laugh though to think about the Emperor and Baron being absolutely confused by her saying “My bruddah is coming!”

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
“Mommy, my bruddah dwank da waddah of life!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The “J” in his name stands for “I’m a lovely Hack”