Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

the robots were implied to be tools of those who believed in 'machine thinking' not skynet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, I think Quinn misses the mark there. Leto II takes Siona out into his desert to show her that the Golden Path is necessary for human survival, that humanity will go extinct without it, not that humanity will fall back under the sway of 'machine thinking', a phrase that is never uttered during that journey. Siona then gets a vision of seeking machines hunting down the last members of humanity who have no escape anywhere.

except that leto 2 also says that by making siona immune to prescience and spreading her anti-prescient genes or whatever, it prevents someone (pretty sure he names the ixians) from creating the seeking machines that will wipe out humanity. it's not the robots that are the true enemy, but the people who would create them. machine thinking is said to be what allowed people to create machines that enslaved other humans, killing them is just another step. the whole point is that 'machine thinking' allows humans to do things without thinking about doing it. like, say, creating self-replicating prescient murderbots. but again, not a skynet robot overlord scenario. leto 2 even calls machine thinking "the real danger."

it's like you only read that one bit of the first four novels lol

edit: leto 2 also says that without his efforts, the end of humanity would've already happened. without his efforts, some guy on ix would've been like, hey, what if we made this thing? i really, really doubt it was as simple as 'there are bad robots out there and they will come for us' like the loving reapers

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 4, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Paul rips Feyd's face off.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Paul has an awkward conversation with Leto and Jessica where they think he's masturbating.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Capntastic posted:

I'm fairly certain at no point are the ultra-badass Sardaukar deathtroops from hellworld ever described visually at all. Because it's not important to their function in the story.

But film is a visual medium, so,

The Sardaukar are also disguised as Harkonnen troops, which is something people seem to keep forgetting when they complain they don't look like Space Marines or whatever.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

imo, herbert's take on homosexuality is better reflected by the stuff between Idaho and moneo where Idaho is like 'homosexuals make me uncomfortable' and moneo tells him to deal with it because the world's different now

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

the miniseries isn't great but the baron is one of the wonderful parts. and i feel like they cast paul based on messiah and children, which the miniseries did afterward, where the actor really looks and sells the part.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

AnEdgelord posted:

that is very stupid

in australia, it has a december release date lmao

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

the marvel bots are out in force

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

the weird attitude of not wanting to turn a work of art into a franchise with several different types of adaptations that'll probably suck or mangle the source material, lunch boxes and a flamethrower lmao

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

lol goddamn all the stuff i was dubious about based on the trailers and whatever else made perfect sense and was incredible in the film. i would've liked maybe ten-twenty more minutes but goddamn. kull wahad!

edit: i wasn't a big fan of the white sardaukar for example until you realize that oh poo poo these guys have a bit of a blood thing and will come out of battle showing off the blood of their enemies on their suits of armor

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Automatic Slim posted:

Thanks for this.

There's a look that Timothée Chalamet gives to Charlotte Rampling near the end of that scene that foreshadows the entire plot of Dune. That's masterful direction.

yes, the moment you see paul just glare at mohaim like an angry god was just a perfect illustration that everyone involved knew what they were doing.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Reik posted:

I don't think they ever mention that it extends your life, either? Like yeah space travel is important but the ruling class cares about it because they wanna be immortal.

i feel like this is mentioned in the bit where jessica says the spice is a sacred thing to the fremen early on?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Question: in the scene where the Sardukaur are negotiating with the harkonnens and those people are being sacrificed, is that a harkonnen world and the sardukaur are just there as guests, or was it a sardukaur location?

there's a brief subtitle thing that says it's salusa secundus: imperial army planet. it's the sardaukar homeworld. in the book lore, it's a prison planet.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Can someone familiar with the books help me understand why the spice seemingly affects different people in slightly different ways?

Does it give everyone clairvoyance? Like do the fremen experience visions in the same way Paul does? If not, how does it give the navigators that power? Is it just a matter of dosage? Is it just the combination of Paul's special upbringing and interaction with the spice that makes him special?

This movie is my only exposure to Dune, aside from bits I've picked up in this thread and others. I don't mind future spoilers if that's necessary to answer fully

pretty much. in the books, there's basically a tarot the fremen can use to vaguely predict the future. the fremen abilities are kinda latent in that sense, a consequence of from-birth spice exposure in the air, food and water. the navigators get it by being immersed in it and huffing it constantly (those helmets in the imperial procession weren't orange, they're filled with spice gas -- you can see their blue eyes faintly in some shots). paul's special upbringing does a lot of the work to give him such a powerful future-sight.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 25, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

fadam posted:

What’s the reason behind cutting Feyd? I can’t remember if he factors in much in the first part of Dune

he doesn't, and i think you could safely introduce him in part 2 with no real damage to the story. i figured they'd cut him as a consequence of nixing the stuff about the BG breeding program, but if they're included that it's likely that they'll include feyd given that he's a component of it and, in a sense, paul's antithesis. i could see part 2 getting into the political intrigue side of things a bit more than this film did as i figured it'd need to introduce the emperor and such before the climax.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

AnEdgelord posted:

Posts like these make me think the haters are just trolling.

there's a dude in GBS who angrily insisted that dune was a failure because it didn't match the step by step heroic journey plotline in the save the cat screenwriting book. he spoke as a writer. a writer whose biggest achievement was getting almost selected in some family guy scriptwriting competition.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

NO PEOPLE TOLD ME THIS WASN'T HAPPENING THERE WOULDN'T BE A SECOND FILM AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

The United States posted:

Can't wait to see Paul's future vision realized in Part Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKlToU4R_0

in all honesty, i thought this was the weakest part of his future visions. i can't not see the one fremen awkwardly cutting his charge so the sardaukar can reach him and that other fremen just softly landing on the sardaukar's shoulders and riding him down like a funfair ride.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Blood Boils posted:

Kynes lifts her head from out of the sand "actually I lied when I said it was just sweat - that's pee & poo your drinking"

*in creepy future-sight voice* processed in the thigh pads, muad'dib *dramatic wailing intensifies*

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Martman posted:

Ultimately I was surprised how much I liked it. Most of the tweaks were not just ok but really effective ways to focus the plot (especially the Jamis vision stuff, I had to look up that dude because I realized I loved him in Too Old to Die Young), but I was pretty ok with the things that I found to be straight-up compromises. The martial arts stuff is kind of undeniably a bit watered down imo, but I'm ok with the result. And I may be weird but the Baron is the other compromise from my point of view. Say what you will about his portrayal in the book being problematic, but he's fun. The book baron is literally the evilest dude ever to exist but he has huge George Costanza energy at the same time and it really adds an amazing counterpoint to the overall thread of questioning the "serious hero" narrative. I think you could absolutely attempt to craft a Vladimir Harkonnen for this movie who is not homophobic but still carries the same kind of absurd paranoid scheming villain energy in fun and wacky ways, but it feels like they just gave up on it. He was still cool as kind of a weird Northern European mob boss, and I understand the motivations to simplify his character, but it was probably the thing I missed the most.

have you seen the miniseries? it feels like they had the adaptation of the baron you're picturing. this isn't a slight, he's by far the best part of it.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Martman posted:

No, I haven't... but that does sound good. A lot of aspects of it have seemed kinda lame but once I finally finish Chapterhouse I may be desperate for more Dune media. (don't worry I will never read the Brian stuff)

I remembered, I loved the part where Paul and Jessica are running from the sandworm. We already know Jessica is pregnant at that point, but Paul is the one who stumbles... and Jessica just straight up runs ahead without even considering stopping to help him. Can't remember if that was in the book, but it worked as a great gag on tired movie cliches.

here's the scene with the tooth and where yueh gets his reward. the baron's actor--ian mcneice--is just wonderful. he's probably the version of the baron that matches most closely to my mental image from the book.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Vagabong posted:

I was wondering if anyone found that the scenes of Paul's Terrible Purpose failed to communicate that the incoming jihad was a bad thing. It makes sense if you've read the book, but my non-book reader mate thought it was just standard heroic prophecy stuff; aside from the piles of burnt corpses that aren't directly connected to Paul there's not much else giving off bad vibes if your expecting a traditional hero narrative.

i feel the shot of paul looking down dispassionately at the bloody fremen cheering on caladan was enough to make it feel somewhat ominous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

bawfuls posted:

It’s funny cause my recollection of the book was constantly having in-universe proper blunder thrown around with no explains having to flip back to the glossary all the time to figure out wtf the characters were talking about.

owlofcreamcehese is just kinda fighting with a book that exists only in their head, rip

Dune posted:

‘I hold at your neck the gom jabbar,’ she said. ‘The gom jabbar, the high-handed enemy. It’s a needle with a drop of poison on its tip. Ah-ah! Don’t pull away or you’ll feel that poison.’

Paul tried to swallow in a dry throat. He could not take his attention from the seamed old face, the glistening eyes, the pale gums around silvery metal teeth that flashed as she spoke.

‘A duke’s son must know about poisons,’ she said. ‘It’s the way of our times, eh? Musky, to be poisoned in your drink. Aumas, to be poisoned in your food. The quick ones and the slow ones and the ones in between. Here’s a new one for you: the gom jabbar. It kills only animals.’

Pride overcame Paul’s fear. ‘You dare suggest a duke’s son is an animal?’ he demanded.