Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Collapsing Farts posted:

The spider is some sort of genetic fuckery, cuz it looks like multiple human parts stretched out and put together;

Jesus gently caress that thing is horrifying if it's some human spider creature that they created.

Like the backside looks like a perineum with the legs removed and smoothed down. And didn't it make some muffled moan when trying to eat?

That poo poo is seriously :nms:

I really think it's either Yueh's wife or she suffered a similar fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I just realized that the film doesn't even hint at Lady Jessica being the Baron's daughter. That's probably for the better? I mean he straight up wants to murder her by leaving her to the sand worms.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
At what point does the Baron rape Mohiam? Because I hope that doesn't make the movie.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Covermeinsunshine posted:

This does not happen in dune at all.

I thought I read this somewhere

I might be losing it

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I actually kind of hope part 2 is about Chani the way part 1 is about Paul.

Villneuve said as much. Said the entire thing will be from her perspective.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Hey, look, Chani got naked in the miniseries. So it's only fair...

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
For real though, I paused that scene so many times in 7th grade...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Just go see it in Florida. We're openly spreading that poo poo to each other down here and the governor is encouraging it!

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
It is definitely an "old school movie" and I'm not sure why that phrase even exists because it is entirely synonymous with "good"

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Modern movies do feel incredibly frenetic and hastily edited, even when they're not marvel style frantic quip-fests, so when a movie like Dune comes along with lots of sedate sweeping shots I don't blame someone for characterising it as old-school.

It makes me want to ban them from all entertainment until their attention span is able to recover.

Just goes back to what Scorsese said. These "newer" pieces of poo poo aren't films. They're amusement at best. Pure dopamine rushes without any artistic merit.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I went and saw "Don't Worry, Darling" this weekend. Loved it.

My gf didn't like Florence Pugh's body type, but I suspect it is jealousy. I cannot wait to see her as thirsty little brat Princess Irulian

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Josh Lyman posted:

Wait what? :psyduck:

yea she thinks she too stocky or some poo poo

I said yea, but she's the hottest tight end I've ever seen in my life

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Failed Imagineer posted:

I guess her body type is a tad thiccer than the typical skeltal Hollywood starlet, but thats a very good thing

mucho agreedo

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I hope we don't just get another Max Zorn outta Walken. I hope he fuckin nails it.

I can see why Villeneuve put him in it. Most people watching aren't going to know about the spice providing youthfulness and anti-aging properties.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Martman posted:

Grandpa Palpatine has fallen into Abomination, and become fully possessed by the living memory of Bust Rodd

I don't understand this reference, but a lot of you folks just love making a big deal out of the most benign poo poo.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Bugblatter posted:

I mean thread necromancy just to say "my wife doesn't like an actress's body" is a big lol.

I was saying that she was really good in Don't Worry Darling and that I'm looking forward to seeing her as a thirsting lil bratty Princess Irulian.

edit: seriously go see Don't Worry Darling. It's great. Avoid spoilers.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

kalel posted:

are you bust rodd. serious question

No. I have no idea who the hell that is.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
The only thing that's weird is that y'all continue to comment on it. I thought Florence Pugh was great in that movie, so I posted about it. Literally loving deal with it...

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Yea let's keep talking about it. Do you want some fan fiction as well?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Bugblatter posted:

His insistence on one single finished cut is something I admire about him. It would be nice if his banquet scene leaked some day, though.

He made one???

Not with the emperor though, right?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, they shot it but cut it. There are a fair amount of behind-the-scenes photos from it though.

The Emporer wasn't in it, why would he be?

The emperor was there in the miniseries version I'm almost certain. I know he's not in the book until the end.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Bugblatter posted:

He was never present in any iteration of the story. Irulan was added to the miniseries version and more or less completely shifts the entire focus of the sequence. In the book it's largely about navigating local Arrakeen politics and discerning spies.

ok he's definitely at the beginning of the Lynch version.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I remember watching Part One and realizing that the audience has no idea that the bull head on the wall is the one that killed Leto's father. I'm wondering if they explain it in that scene like it does in the book.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
The fights were great. I have no idea what people want, but hopefully they don't have any sway with the production lol

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Yea but will Zendaya be ok with the spice orgy scene?

Chani in the miniseries handled it

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Neo Rasa posted:

2NE MESSIAH

CHILDREN OF DUN3

GOD EMPER4 OF DUNE

HERETICS OF DUN5

CHAPTERH6USE: DUNE

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Rewatched Part 1 with the gf on Sunday night.

We somehow got into an argument about the sand compactor. I mistakenly argued that the sand compactor and the thumper were the same device. She literally would not let it go. Fast forward to tonight: she comes over all pissy still arguing about it. Turned out she was right, they are different devices but they both look almost exactly the loving same.

I'm never going to hear the end of this

:suicide:

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Failed Imagineer posted:

They're completely different things. They're both vaguely cylindrical but they're shown to operate very differently

They look almost exactly the same. Is it really so hard to believe that they would use a single device with multiple purposes in the year 10,193?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Lisa Marie Presley makes a cameo appearance as Dr. Yueh's wife.

just kidding, I'm a firm believer that the creature was his wife after she was "taken apart like a doll"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

kalel posted:

I was never a fan of this interpretation because it makes the world of the film seem so small. it stinks of modern star wars' compulsion to connect everything to luke skywalker and darth vader

I think it's pretty obvious. The only reason they didn't reference it again is because it couldn't fit with a PG-13 rating.