Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The scifi series was goofy in a lot of ways but the casting was really loving great across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I don't mind bland if the alternative is the cavalcade of stupid hats from the miniseries, tbh

edit: that tbh was not meant to mock the guy above me, who has a pretty great point about going hog in other designs tho

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I can appreciate the hearty lols that came out of Lynch's version and I mean no disrespect to anyone who unironically likes that movie, but I have to tell you guys, im with the folks who think that the further this strays from the 84 edition, including the costuming, the better

Gonna get kanly'd for this for sure

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

u brexit ukip it posted:

Someone will probably post his lines from Rome.

Only true maker spice for true Fremen.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

"It's only tits and sandworms." - Ian McShane, probably cast in the movie somewhere

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The_Doctor posted:

It’s fun when you can single out an actor and just know they’re headed for good things. I remember noticing Chadwick Boseman in a guest role on Fringe and thinking I’d see him again in a bigger role. He was absolutely killing it, way more than the subject matter deserved.

Band of Brothers was a deep vein for this. Just the one-off supporting characters included Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Simon Pegg, Andrew Scott, and Dominic Cooper.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Blasted through the first book and Messiah just came in the mail today

I forgot how completely horrific the last chapter is - the upper echelon of commerce, politics, and religion all helplessly screaming "what the gently caress have we/they done"

It's way more like the last scene of Rosemary's Baby than the Star Wars medal ceremony. Can't imagine they end a major two-film story on such a grim note but it'd be cool if they did

Herbert's quote about that -- "No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a Hero" -- was always the theme of the series to me. He spent Dune building up Paul, the Atreides, and the Fremen, and then spent the next three books breaking them down and showing just how terrible heroes and their followers can be even when their intentions are good. I get that the first novel is a perfect hero's journey and I get why people loved it, but I also get why a lot of the same audience bounced hard off the rest of Frank Herbert's part of the series. All the unpalatable reasons are what make it unique and good but they're also why it's so unlikely that we'll see anything past the first book.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ingmar terdman posted:

There's also a group of eugenist finishing school witches that basically propagate Joseph Campbell to the unwashed masses. I agree the first book has a fairly standard hero's journey but Frank isn't shy about pulling the curtain back on it along the way

Oh for sure, not at all disagreeing. Herbert alludes to things going extremely uncool with the hero's journey using the chapter epigraphs/epigrams, and then makes things go worse by degrees until everyone's celebrating the start of a galactic jihad heading to billions of deaths. I think the book was popular despite Herbert pulling the curtain back and not because of it, but I think the series has weight and longevity for the opposite reason.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

hump day bitches! posted:

Ian mcniece as baron Harkonnen rules tho.

truth

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The old spice must not flow I guess

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

got off on a technicality posted:

I get a horribly generic vibe from the trailer. I dislike the way it's cut, the way it looks. The way it dwells on and on on that YA protagonist mumble. The worm is awesome, and I like many aspects of the production design. I hope, and even suspect, that the movie will feel quite different

hulud, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Iíve not read the book so Iím just going to assume itís set ten years later.