Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The scifi series was goofy in a lot of ways but the casting was really loving great across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I don't mind bland if the alternative is the cavalcade of stupid hats from the miniseries, tbh

edit: that tbh was not meant to mock the guy above me, who has a pretty great point about going hog in other designs tho

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I can appreciate the hearty lols that came out of Lynch's version and I mean no disrespect to anyone who unironically likes that movie, but I have to tell you guys, im with the folks who think that the further this strays from the 84 edition, including the costuming, the better

Gonna get kanly'd for this for sure

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

u brexit ukip it posted:

Someone will probably post his lines from Rome.

Only true maker spice for true Fremen.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
"It's only tits and sandworms." - Ian McShane, probably cast in the movie somewhere

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

The_Doctor posted:

It’s fun when you can single out an actor and just know they’re headed for good things. I remember noticing Chadwick Boseman in a guest role on Fringe and thinking I’d see him again in a bigger role. He was absolutely killing it, way more than the subject matter deserved.

Band of Brothers was a deep vein for this. Just the one-off supporting characters included Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Simon Pegg, Andrew Scott, and Dominic Cooper.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Ingmar terdman posted:

Blasted through the first book and Messiah just came in the mail today

I forgot how completely horrific the last chapter is - the upper echelon of commerce, politics, and religion all helplessly screaming "what the gently caress have we/they done"

It's way more like the last scene of Rosemary's Baby than the Star Wars medal ceremony. Can't imagine they end a major two-film story on such a grim note but it'd be cool if they did

Herbert's quote about that -- "No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a Hero" -- was always the theme of the series to me. He spent Dune building up Paul, the Atreides, and the Fremen, and then spent the next three books breaking them down and showing just how terrible heroes and their followers can be even when their intentions are good. I get that the first novel is a perfect hero's journey and I get why people loved it, but I also get why a lot of the same audience bounced hard off the rest of Frank Herbert's part of the series. All the unpalatable reasons are what make it unique and good but they're also why it's so unlikely that we'll see anything past the first book.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Ingmar terdman posted:

There's also a group of eugenist finishing school witches that basically propagate Joseph Campbell to the unwashed masses. I agree the first book has a fairly standard hero's journey but Frank isn't shy about pulling the curtain back on it along the way

Oh for sure, not at all disagreeing. Herbert alludes to things going extremely uncool with the hero's journey using the chapter epigraphs/epigrams, and then makes things go worse by degrees until everyone's celebrating the start of a galactic jihad heading to billions of deaths. I think the book was popular despite Herbert pulling the curtain back and not because of it, but I think the series has weight and longevity for the opposite reason.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

hump day bitches! posted:

Ian mcniece as baron Harkonnen rules tho.

truth

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The old spice must not flow I guess

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

got off on a technicality posted:

I get a horribly generic vibe from the trailer. I dislike the way it's cut, the way it looks. The way it dwells on and on on that YA protagonist mumble. The worm is awesome, and I like many aspects of the production design. I hope, and even suspect, that the movie will feel quite different

hulud, same

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve not read the book so I’m just going to assume it’s set ten years later.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

YaketySass posted:

They're Sand Wakanda, just not as outrageously opulent so the rugged facade isn't that much of one.

This made me look up which came first. I thought for sure that the publication of Dune largely predated the first comic with Wakanda, but I was wrong -- Dune came out in 65, and the first series with Wakanda came out in 66, not even a year apart. Still blows my mind that either or both of these came out during the era depicted in Mad Men.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Steve Yun posted:

Would this movie be okay for a 12 year old

Make him watch 2001 and measure the boredom quotient

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

gohmak posted:

Can we all agree that this movie was beautiful but the Mini Series is still the best?

wint: no

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Kurzon posted:

Jessica in this movie always seems anxious. Is she like this in the book?

yes. She's hyper aware of what she's done, what role Paul might have in the future, and what the Atredies taking over Arrakis means. She has the weight of an entire species hanging on the quality of her motherhood. It isn't physically shown in the books -- instead it's a series of thoughts full of self-doubt built around conversations with Yueh, the Duke, Paul, and the Reverend Mother. Thankfully the movie decided to show that and not tell it.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I thought this episode was garbage, personally

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
He did a fine job reading the news in Rome

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

ALFbrot posted:

One bit I loved that I haven't seen anybody mention was when Paul and Jessica were starting up Kynes' hidden ornithopter and there was that common "there's problems getting it started and our pursuers are going to be here any moment!" bit, where Jessica keeps tensely looking towards the blackened door. You fully expect the Sardaukar to show up in the typical "stormtroopers shooting at the Millenium Falcon just as it flies away" manner, but they just... don't. They followed Kynes instead.

This was fantastic. Villeneuve was surely aware of that but let the closed door and closed door only drive all the suspense. Brilliant 👏

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Book reading friends and non-book reading friends have all loved it. Great take on the series generally, but not without a few faults seems to be the median take

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Luv 2 b reductive

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

LesterGroans posted:

Man, if they do make Dune Messiah then Jason Momoa returning is gonna get a big pop from the audience.

God Emperor or bust

Momoa climbing a cliff and making a woman orgasm in the process will be a scene for the cinematic ages

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Alchenar posted:

Lets face it how many other actors could pull that off credibly?

Realistically, only Danny DeVito

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
If Villeneuve gets the go ahead to make Messiah as the third in the trilogy, Paul walking blind into the desert would actually be a great ending to the series.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I heard it as a drill-instructror "Paul you still suck get your poo poo in order" line. R. Lee Ermey would have been a perfect Gurney, but Josh Brolin certainly isn't bad

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Admiral Bosch posted:

"make sure the shield is functioning before engaging in full strength sparring" seems like a pretty logical SOP if you ask me

:hmmyes: exposition is impossibly difficult in fiction without using the "as you know" or "Aren't you Willie Scott, the famous American female vocalist?" bits and Dune does a good job with it

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The thing about explaining things is that explaining things sucks turgid rear end. Star Wars is better without an extended universe that explains the most inconsequential details, like the dice on the Millenium Falcon. Star Trek was better when it didn't explain the Borg. Reader imagination is always, always better than what the creator can come up with, but explanations are profitable, so here he are.

This is me with an original thought that nobody has ever come up with before. Surely.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

Man the Borg were so loving chilling when they were just this implacable lurking menace that was gonna turn up and gently caress humanity *sometime*

Yeah. When they were an implacable force of nature, they went beyond terrifying and into horrifying. I remember watching Q Who part one of Best of Both Worlds as a wee lad and being petrified by the Borg. Late TNG and Voyager turned them into a joke. Implication is genius. Explanation is garbage.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just realized we didn't get to see Jessica give Drunken Idaho the stern talking-to, would've been a great scene between Ferguson and Momoa

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
exposition is really loving tough to write in a novel let alone in a screenplay, and that goes double for some of the crazy poo poo in sci-fi. Dune the movie left a lot of stuff on the floor in the translation between book and cinema and there's a few things I wish had been included, but generally I can't complain with how the movie pulled it off. Like, Kubrick's Shining left a ton of Jack's character out of the movie, and sort of suffered for it compared to the rich characterization of the novel, but Kubrick nailed the creeping-horror feel of the Overlook. That's sort of how I feel about Dune. And also Denis Villeneuve generally. The quality of the directing and cinematography is so good that it accidentally makes a gap between the audience and the characters. Good directors like Kubrick, Villeneuve, et al can use that to tell otherworldly stories. Bad directors don't. Inception and Tenet come to mind.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 8, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
qne

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

There are too many liberal arts grad students for this to happen

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
bro there's tictacs flying through international space, anything's possible

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

DeafNote posted:

The only thing I disliked was that this Baron seemed a little dumber (since he so willingly accepted that Paul had died in the sandstorm)
But I dig his vibe as well, and Skarsgard gives him some gravitas.. (pun unintended)

I don't have my copy of the book on hand, but if I remember right, the baron did actually believe that, didn't he? He just didn't want to say so? (Not being snide here, I seriously can't remember)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
*libertarianishly* Actually, I think you'll find that the age of consent on Geidi Prime is

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
It's in the Orange Catholic Torah I think

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I think Verne is forty or so years before Wells. Though I doubt he's even close to the first

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Tag urself I'm 'Pasty Mesa'

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

Tim Blake Nelson or nothing.

spice guy or whatever you call yourself --

I know you know it's Padishah Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
That's a very good answer. Paul can't make himself do the thing he needs to do. Being a willing victim of the plan against him is the only way out.