Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Netherlands works fine for me. It's better quality than the other alternative I posted.

The special effects are so bad. You have to remember this came out the same year as Return of the Jedi. And simple stuff like a space helicopter looks awful. Like it was filmed in 1955.

The Alternative Cut has Patrick Stewart dual-wielding a submachine gun and a pug so it's not all bad.

Return of the Jedi and Dune were released almost 10 years closer to 1955 than to today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ian McNiece is so good as the Baron in the miniseries. Some of the other actors are spotty; there's enough subpar or mediocre about the miniseries that I'd call it optional, but there's enough good about it that I usually encourage others to give it a chance.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Might I recommend Babylon 5?

There's never a bad time to recommend B5.

Ingmar terdman posted:

At least the first couple hours are on youtube and clicking around it does look pretty clunky but I'm curious to see how much closer to the book it gets. Same reason I want to watch King's Shining.

It's clunky but it does have some bright spots; it's worth watching imo.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think the implication was that the Spacing guild acquired all of their spice off the books, because they can just blockade anyone who tried to out them, so nobody even knew they were a big consumer of it, much less that spice was the key ingredient to the navigators ability to perform space folding.

as far as the navigator's appearance - there are spacing guild dudes in the first book who seem fairly normal, aside from the spice eyes, but I don't think they're explicitly identified as Navigators, and Messiah has a navigator as a major character and he's explicitly a mutant fishman confined to a spice tank. I remember reading somewhere that Herbert actually really liked the imagery from Jodorowsky and Lynch of the Navigators not just being flippery dudes but full on horrific whalepeople, and brought that into the books at some point? Last time I read children, God Emperor or Chapterhouse was like 15 years ago so I can't remember if there's any truth to that.

Lynch's film came out in 1984 so probably only Heretics and Chapterhouse would have that influence, if any is present. I don't know when Jodo's was in production though. God Emperor came out in 1981 so maybe?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh, had no idea Jodo's was that early. For some reason I thought the fact some design crossover occurred meant they were a lot more contemporaneous.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

moths posted:

In its defense, it'll probably be a popular seafront coastal state within 100 years.

:smith:

lol, it's 5000 ft. above sea level, what do you think is gonna happen, Europa crashing into the Earth or something?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wizchine posted:

I didn't hear any ululation in the vocals. Is anything from a Middle-Eastern or North African musical tradition verboten, despite the logical shorthand connecting them to the imaginary Fremen?

Gotta keep the perpetual outrage machine going somehow.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

bombastic Baron actor

Is there any other kind?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

People keep saying this but when I look online I still see an Oct 22 release date, whats going on here?

I looked it up earlier, international release is a month ahead of the USA for some reason.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

battlepigeon posted:

I'm in the mood for more Dune!

Is the miniseries from 2000 and 2003 worth checking out? The late 90s/early 2000s CGI looks sketchy as gently caress, but the cast looks pretty good atleast.

Depends a lot on your willingness to fill in the blanks - not only in the aforementioned CGI, but some of the acting, etc. Some are good though. Someone above already mentioned the Baron is pretty fantastic and others too, e.g. James McAvoy as Leto II in Children. There are good points and bad points to it. It's a pretty faithful adaptation as far as that goes. I like it, and others do, but many others also don't.

In other words, watch it and form your own opinion.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

paging cyrano to the dunc thread

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Eason the Fifth posted:

This made me look up which came first. I thought for sure that the publication of Dune largely predated the first comic with Wakanda, but I was wrong -- Dune came out in 65, and the first series with Wakanda came out in 66, not even a year apart. Still blows my mind that either or both of these came out during the era depicted in Mad Men.

Or it could be that this TV show isn't a fully accurate picture of the era in question.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't get past how badly written it is. It feels like a term paper padded to meet the minimum length.

I don't know why you would expect any different in the 2020s.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It's conon.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

kalel posted:

is spelling missing from the American curriculum as well

New to the internet, are you?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Listen, al Gaib,

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Chani's friend: "heh, more like Muad'dweeb."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't know about you, but I insist upon abject soul-crushing ultrarealism in all media entertainment, especially those with FTL, personal force shields, and eugenic supermen.