Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Wonder if Paul will be handed Jamis’s wife and kids, assuming that’s cut out lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Buttchocks posted:

Played by Anya Taylor-Joy

Wait really? Seems an odd casting choice for Harah

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I mean if it were later in the story I think she would be great as Alia, unless it is her in some Paul future vision stuff.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Also I wonder if they cut Paul’s first infant son getting killed in the assassination attempt but able to warn Paul, been awhile since I read the book but I thought that happening was Paul making the choice to drink the water of life in order gain full god powers since he failed to see that coming.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Want a god emperor comedy smash cut of all the crazy ways he killed Duncan over millenia

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Amazing spectacle, bad movie.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Also Stilgar was water fat

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I really don’t know why everyone talks about Jodorowsky’s Dune like it wouldn’t have been an unmitigated disaster and killed the franchise forever. Dude’s a loving hack masquerading as auteur.

And I agree with the sentiment that Part 2 is basically Denis’s first Marvel movie, loving cut out the soul of the book to hit plot points at breakneck speed.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Part 1 was nearly perfect all Denis had to do was not be a dumbass and include the dinner scene he apparently already filmed in the loving movie.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I know at the end of the day my opinion doesn’t matter but I was expecting a far more faithful adaptation for Part 2, in that so much of the book was cut out and changed that it took me out of the movie completely.

I went into the theater completely blind wondering how will we do this scene or that scene to find that the overall plot got completely manipulated into occurring over what a 5-6 month span of time, ridiculous imo.

My only explanation is massive studio interference that Denis will never admit to since it would ruin his brand.

I readily admit that the film is an enjoyable spectacle to watch in IMAX though much like Marvel movies that’s where I’m coming from and I am not trying to poo poo on anyone who enjoyed it but just venting my frustration as an avid fan of the novels I expected more.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

If they didn’t want to deal with a 2 year old Alia he could of made up some poo poo about the water of life accelerating her aging and use a 10 year old actress so it wouldn’t seem as goofy. I do not think the right answer to that concern is removing Alia from the movie.

Paul not losing his first child to the Harkonnen’s, him not forseeing Gurney trying to kill Jessica, Harah and a good chunk of Fremen culture being removed. Jessica’s character is changed drastically. The smashcut to Gurney killing Rabban lol, Emperor Walken lol what a bad casting. And the complete avoidance of the word jihad, I could go on and on but all I hope for is it interests more people to read the book.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I wonder if how I feel is how Foundation book nerds feel about the Apple TV series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

CBC interview with Denis in case anyone missed it. I listened to a bit and caught the part about him wanting to film with minimal dialogue and little exposition.

https://www.cbc.ca/arts/q/denis-villeneuve-explains-how-quebec-s-history-plays-into-his-sweeping-vision-for-dune-part-two-1.7137979

jesus loving christ