Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Steve Yun posted:

Dunkin’ Idaho
"Buy the cup, free coffee refills!*"

*For the rest of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Baron von Eevl posted:

What sticks out to me was when Maiden wrote a song about Dune and contacted his estate about using the name, the response was something like "my father hated rock and roll, but the kind of rock and roll he hated most was heavy metal. And of all the heavy metal, the kind he hated the most was Iron Maiden."
That's kind of hilarious.

https://norselandsrock.com/to-tame-a-land-iron-maiden/

George Orwell's estate similarly rejected David Bowie's plan to adapt 1984 as a play.

Such a weird attitude to have for works that clearly pay homage to the original work. Worst that can happen is...you almost certainly sell more books?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
About what I expected from Hollywood these days with more time spent on beautiful, sometimes self important visuals at the expense of plot and story.

I found myself occasionally explaining important parts to my wife like why spice is so important (beyond the blink and you'll miss it exposition) and the motivations behind the Emperor and Harkonnens wanting to kill the Atreides. And while the reason why the reverend mother was pissed at Jessica was explained adequately, I felt we only get the barest touch on Jessica and Leto's tragic sin ("I should have married you"). Given the end-to-end series of pain and tragedy in the book, that's one of the few bright spots that should have had a spotlight.

There's also barely any "world". Caladan was just an palace outpost and not near a major city where they could have further used the smart preamble to the book events to explain how beloved the Duke/Atreides are to the people he rules? And contrast that to how the Harkonnens treat people either in Arakis or Geidi Prime. If humanity is just factions of soldier-gangs all the way down...gently caress the Golden Path; I don't see a humanity worth saving.

Overall, I don't see how most audiences will latch on to "cut scene: the movie". This book would work much better in this day and age as a streaming series instead of a multipart movie.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Defiance Industries posted:

Versus evil robots, you mean.
I went along with their books and while changing the nature of the Butlerian Jihad from Frank's alleged view of "humans relying on machines and high technology is a form of self induced slavery" to "T2 Judgement Day" was disappointing, the urine frosting of their work was their Dune 7 "book" that brought all characters back as gholas, revealed the destruction of humanity that Leto II steered against was the return of machines, culminating in the Mass Effect ending of (yet another) Duncan Idaho ghola merging with the primary machines bringing forth some utopia of human machine hybrids and FINALLY ending a conflict never once hinted at in Frank's books.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Starks posted:

Hollywood getting a little too comfortable with slavface after Black Widow and Borat.
So you're saying Sacha Baron Cohen while reprising Jean Gerard's accent from Talladega Nights as Shaddam IV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Edit: Nevermind

Cheesus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 9, 2021