Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I'd give it 3 out of 5, it's no Blade Runner 2049 masterpiece - but it does "feel" like a proper translation of Dune to the screen.

Minor nitpicks and thoughts:

1. A lot of the visuals feel very similar to the Lynch movie, almost to the point where I feel it influences this movie too much.
2. The cinematography is very Villeneuve-esque, in a good way. The hunter-seeker floats like the eyebots in BR2049, the hallways are comically oversized and weirdly lit etc. It all works pretty well in this setting.
3. Ferguson is a terrific actress and carries a lot of the movie.
4. The fremen feel appropriately middle-eastern. I was worried this aspect was toned down, but it works really well.
5. The Baron's makeup is kinda disappointing, I was sure he would be more gross after the poison.
6. The music score feels a little off, almost a little bit too orchestral in a way. I also didn't think the movie had "earned" the scenes with soaring music and Chalamet standing on the shores of Caladan yet.
7. Duncan's death is well done.
8. Brolin's a great actor, but the performance felt a bit weird.
9. I think the sandworms looked great.
10. The shield fighting visual and fight choreography looked good, which is surprising. I always thought this would be almost impossible to translate to the screen.
11. The worldbuilding is very well done, the Bene Gesserit are explained in like 4-5 lines of dialogue - but it's just enough that it works without leaving people confused.

Dante fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Kurzon posted:

This movie is basically Villeneuve trying to fix the Lynch movie. You might prefer the 2000 miniseries. If not good, it at least has its own feel.
That's a really good summary of the vibe you get from this movie. I wish Villeneuve would have strayed a little further from that creative vision, but it's still good.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

gohmak posted:

I love this movie but the mini series is still the best Dune outside of the books.
Agreed. There's a life to the miniseries where the characters seem animated and invested in their own proceedings that's pretty lacking from either movie. With the exception of Rebecca Ferguson, she's just awesome at conveying her character.