Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't even know this movie was being made so I saw the trailer because youtube. If I didn't see that Villeneuve was directing the movie that trailer would have killed any theoretical hype I would have for it.

They should try having more than one hue in a scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Simiain posted:

I mean, as opposed to what, the Wizard of Oz technicolor of Arrival or Sicario or bloody Bladerunner???

People seem to be hyped or willing to forgive it because its Villeneuve, but at the same time worried about the most distinctively Villeneuve aspect of it.

Just because Villeneuve is know for a very specific color usage in his previous films doesn't mean that he has to continue doing so. If he were to direct the Wizard of Oz and chose to use a drab palette so that both the ruby slippers and emerald city were as desaturated as this thing that would also be questionable.

This extends to other choices like clothing, etc. Most of the non-fremen characters in the book are a bunch of royalty, feudal warlords, their retainers, and witches. I don't have the imagination to visualize how those sort of characters would look thousands of years into the future but I do know that they would look, if not gaudy (for our standards), interesting as gently caress. What is the point of being given a setting that gives you a shitload of freedom to let the imagination go wild if you're going to go for a boring aesthetic? a boring aesthetic that doesn't fit the setting.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

i actually really like the reverend mother's look

Yeah, those are fine.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Simiain posted:

OK, but you also say

So which is it? Are you excited that Villeneuve is making a Villeneuve film, or would you rather he not? Because it sounds to me like you're hype for a new Villeneuve film so long as he doesnt do the things that he did to make the movies that justify this hype in the first place.

I get what youre saying, this is pretty far removed from Jodorowsky's Dune, but.....Villeneuve is gonna Villeneuve, I think.

Villeneuve films are not defined entirely by their looks. I like plenty of other aspects of his direction (as well as the projects he chooses to direct), which is why even if that trailer visually looks (to me) like poo poo that doesn't fit the setting, I am willing to believe it will be a quality film.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The Bene Gesserit, the Spacing Guild, the Fremen, and the Atreides were always going to be pretty drab and monochrome. Color doesn't really fit their vibe.

Only the Harkonnen can I really picture with opulent and vibrant colors to show their gluttony and avarice, but I understand that bad guys = black clothing. Also I don't remember anything being mentioned in the book

Look at this dude:

Does he seem like a weapons master in the far future or a modern guy in slacks and a french breton shirt with a large fitbit at a posh hotel?

bawfuls posted:

Do we also hate the generally dark and drab look of the Lynch movie? Cause everyone wears black in that and it’s generally brown/black.

Nah, they may be wearing black lifesaver vests but they pop. And the palette is quite warm.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Prolonged Priapism posted:

He looks like an older soldier wearing the shirt that goes under his dress uniform. Because he's stripped down for a training bout.

Do these look like two neo-neo-feudal nobles training blades in their future castle?

No. They don't, that's the issue I have. Sure, they have personal sci-fi shields, but otherwise they don't look like dudes in the far future at all to me. And even more so since we're talking about a neo-feudal future, there is even less reason for them to look so "normal".