Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

davidspackage posted:

"Madman spice addict" isn't really a fitting description on the Baron. He was only really a madman in the Lynch version.

Yeah, in the books he’s always going on about intricate “plans within plans,” disdains others for less than shrewd indulgences, and what little “craziness” he does exhibit is a ruse to distract from his actual intentions. He’s very much a meticulously plotting mastermind in the novel. He indulges his sadism a bit too much when he captures Leto, but otherwise is always very aware and calculating.

A lot of the early criticism I’m reading seems to be from people forming their ideas of Dune either from Lynch and Jodorowsky’s designs or the cookiness of the later books. But the first two books are a lot more grounded and the few visual descriptions they give tend to be very austere. Halls carved of stone, structures impressive for their size rather than ornamentation. This brutalist take seems fitting.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Koirhor posted:

So uhh what happened to that footage with inception?

I thought the footage was gonna be with Tenet, which didn’t make its release? Still supposed to get something at the end of the week from the online Comic-Con thing, I think?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

SDCC@Home is over now, though. Its last day was yesterday.

Ah, whoops. Apparently Warner Bros mostly sat SDCC out in favor of doing their own event on August 22nd. Maybe then?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eh, if you actually watch the interview in question he doesn't say it quite like that. He's the guy in charge of the physically constructed props and sets and is largely talking from that perspective. There are worms touched on in Paul's dreams and some other bits but the only *practical* thing made for the filming were some worm scales that let them simulate the sand moving over the skin on set. They won't be building practical worms until part 2. What happens with CGI isn't quite so directly under his purview.

I wouldn't be surprised if the worms in part one are largely hinted at in horror film style though. Maybe some surreal visions in the dreams and then just implied scale and maybe a bit of a mouth when the harvester goes under. But we probably won't see fully breeched worms until the second movie.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Saw Tenet in Korea but no Dune trailer. :(

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Empire doesn’t typically use the official logo design, if that’s what you mean

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That was... not the ideal way to first experience it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don’t really understand why Dune should look like an acid trip at all. The descriptions in the book are fairly grounded and kind of brutalist? Are people just really wanting the Jodorowsky take? His movie sounded cool but had nothing to do with the novel.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

its a universe where the closest helicopter analogue is a plane that flaps its wings like a loving bird, there isn't gently caress-all in Dune that's supposed to be grounded or familiar.

The descriptions of the buildings and armors in the book are fairly sparse but tend to lean toward brutalist aesthetics. Paul's palace, one of the few vividly described spaces, especially. If we were meant to be imagining more bombastic visuals while reading the novel, Herbert sure didn't put any effort into indicating that. Elements like the ornithopters are weird, but not in an acid trip fashion. They do actually flap in Denis' version, in a way that fits with the rest of the aesthetic.

I don't know, what I'm seeing from Denis' matches what I saw in my minds-eye whenever I read the books.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

The ornithopters' wings are articulated, but they don't flap to generate lift. They can just be adjusted into different configurations for different situations and needs. It's like a more complex version of the swing wing designs on some supersonic fighters and bombers.

The book specifically mentions Paul and other pilots adjusting the speed of the flapping in a few points though?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it looks good, but I wish the colours were more vibrant. Like Arrakis should feel blazing and desolate and bright at all times.

This would make a great paperback cover if like it wasn't just so loving dark.

The part where Paul and Jessica run from the worm to the rocks is at dusk in the book too though?

Not feeling the song choice mood wise, even if Floyd has history with the franchise. Liked everything else though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Lynch's film came out in 1984 so probably only Heretics and Chapterhouse would have that influence, if any is present. I don't know when Jodo's was in production though. God Emperor came out in 1981 so maybe?

Jodorowsky’s version began development in 1974 and was largely storyboarded and designed within that year. The development of Lynch’s version also took several years and there’s a bit of continuity and crossover of some design work between his version and Jodorowsky’s.

Anything after Messiah *could* have been influenced by the films, though it’s hard to say for sure without direct quotes from Herbert himself. It’s certainly interesting that all the weirdest poo poo shows up in the novels written after Jodorowky had shown him his version, though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

david_a posted:

Alien DC is not better than the theatrical. The cocoon scene was cut for good reasons.

To be fair, it isn’t actually a true DC. Scott had said the theatrical cut is his preferred version, he just wanted to show fans what could have been and the studio called it a director’s cut for marketing purposes.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

i thought no one liked alien 3 better than aliens other than me

Well, he didn’t say Fincher is better than Cameron. So he might not.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

uXs posted:

For a planet where 'scorching heat' is the prevailing temperature, there was surprisingly little sweating going on.

In a really dry desert, your moisture evaporates before it can bead into sweat. Arrakis is an extremely dry desert.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Paul does whisper “I see a holy war spreading like fire across the galaxy” and it’s sort of hard to hear, but then a second later he screams it at the top of his lungs, so

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

It made huge money and won every award you can think of, it was a massive hit!

Easily the most popular work to date for both the Coen Bros and Cormac McCarthy.

170m is a lot for a drama on its budget, but shy of many forgettable romcoms and comedies. It's nowhere near the footprint of a successful summer action movie. It was great and successful within the genre, but it didn't really reach the degree of wide appeal that you seem to think. Cinephiles adore it, but your average joe who just likes to show up to theaters for Marvel flicks or date movies bounced off it hard.

If your social group is predominantly made up of people who are deep into cinema and know who the Coen Bros are, yeah everyone you know probably respects it. But the majority of society doesn't care about movies to that level. I don't think most of my non-movie buff friends have seen it all the way through, if at all.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Well, I wish I encountered people with good cinematic taste as often as others in this thread do. At any rate, we can agree that NCFOM is an immaculately well-made film, even if we don't agree about the degree that it was enjoyed by society at large.

Also, the whale ships rule. Who cares about the aerodynamics of magic floating blocks that are also submarines somehow, a lot of the appeal is just how baffling and otherwordly they are.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

House Atreides is full of trained warriors, but they serve functions beyond that in the “family,” especially in regard to Paul.

As far as the film goes, Gurney is a grizzled hardass who is loyal but has little warmth. He’s a gruff old grandpa. Duncan feels nearly like an older brother and you get the sense that he’s the closest person to Paul after his parents. His death serves as the hardest punch, and you’d lose a lot if the only sacrifice in escape was the more distant Kynes.

Condensing both characters would also introduce awkward plotting hurdles. Who is serving as military advisor and training Paul while Gurnac is meeting the fremen? Or visa-versa. We could have an unnamed character do the introductions, but narratively that sort of thing is better handled by a known personality, especially in film.

The film isn’t really gaining much if anything in runtime if you do condense them. So what’s the point of losing the two personalities and the beat of sacrifice just because they both fight well?

(I’d agree that previous adaptations gave Duncan so little screen time that he was pointless, though)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Ah cool a bunch of new posts, maybe there's been some news about the sequel or the HBO sho– :chloe:

Yeah, exactly.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah Walken isn't anything like what I imagined for the emperor, but he also is a fantastic actor and he's very capable of the personality.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don't understand this reference, but a lot of you folks just love making a big deal out of the most benign poo poo.

I mean thread necromancy just to say "my wife doesn't like an actress's body" is a big lol.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

But Villeneuve hasn’t invited me to see the assembly cut yet? Rude.

As an aside, one year after the initial release, Dune is getting its fourth IMAX re-release in Korea. Even with 4 screens in Seoul, each of which has many showings per day, it's still hard to reserve ideal seats even for a 2 am showing that's almost a week out.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 12, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

His insistence on one single finished cut is something I admire about him. It would be nice if his banquet scene leaked some day, though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

He made one???

Not with the emperor though, right?

Yeah, they shot it but cut it. There are a fair amount of behind-the-scenes photos from it though.

The Emporer wasn't in it, why would he be?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The emperor was there in the miniseries version I'm almost certain. I know he's not in the book until the end.

He was never present in any iteration of the story. Irulan was added to the miniseries version and more or less completely shifts the entire focus of the sequence. In the book it's largely about navigating local Arrakeen politics and discerning spies.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ok he's definitely at the beginning of the Lynch version.

Yeah, I'm just talking about the banquet.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Aside from the power rangers vision, the fights are all great?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nah, hard disagree. The existing choreography has a realistic and brutal style and the more documentary coverage suits it. A more stylized Hollywood approach would be totally inappropriate. It’s part of what makes the power ranger scene so jarring.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

In actual production news, the Dune HBO series casting is underway. Emily Watson (Scientist from Chernobyl) and Shirley Henderson (who is most famous for being the ghost that creeps on Harry Potter in the bathroom) will both be Harkonnens. Indira Varma (mom of the sand snakes in GoT) is Empress Natalya, the wife of Emperor Corrino.

The show takes place about 10,000 years before the movie, when the spacing guild and Bene Gesserit are just getting set up. It's been a while since I read Herbert's timeline of in-universe history and I never touched Brian Herbert's stuff, so I don't recall much of what happened in that period. I guess the two Harkonnen leads come from Brian Herbert's Sisterhood of Dune novel, if anyone knows what that plot consists of.

The first two episodes are being directed by the guy who directed every episode of Chernobyl, which is a nice sign.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, mediocre genre novels tend to make good frameworks for vastly better movies or shows. Brian and KJA being poo poo novelists doesn't really spell its doom.

The showrunners biggest credit is The Haunting of Bly Mannor, which I haven't seen.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Herbert took ideas from various points of history and, despite being well-read, his impressions weren't necessarily entirely accurate. So an idea of a past Australia could well have been an inspiration point. Obviously, they were never really on par with Saurdukar.

Grendels Dad posted:

Most of those prisoners got there for petty theft/being poor, it wasn't like your average American prison where everybody is in a gang and there is lots of fighting.

Uh, so about the average person in an American prison...

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 14, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

I wouldn't call it documentary coverage at all. There's lots of cuts and close ups, just not especially well done. They're functional, but that's about it. I guess I'd just like a clearer sense of style. Villeneuve hasn't directed a whole heap of action before but in, say, Blade Runner, the few action scenes felt more a product of actual vision and ideas as related to the story.

Cuts and close-ups don't really conflict with something being documentary in style? It has the sense of a few cameras being set up in a room and then sifted through for the best footage. Not in the way an amateur action director works, where a lot of fast cuts make up for lack of coherent direction, but the way a Planet Earth carnivore hunt is cut together. It's a stated intent by Villeneuve and Fraser, to the extreme to where they used CG to add compositional imperfections to shots that they thought looked "too perfect."

The very tightly choreographed compositions and cuts of 2049 are gorgeous, but they wouldn't really gel here. I like the tactile nature things are presented in. You get a clear shot of Duncan or Fremen doing impressive jumps or kicks off walls, but it will be in a level wide-shot, not a perfectly framed flashy action movie money shot. You get the sense that this cool thing happened on camera, and we caught it because our static camera was wide enough, not because we set the camera up in this spot because we knew the stuntman would look cool when he did his choreographed action here. The closeups are the kind you get when you have a cameraman dedicated to tracking one subject's face.

I don't know if I'm explaining it well enough, but there's a balance between style and naturalism that makes the world feel cool but still real. I hope they don't tip too far toward one side in the sequel, but interviews with Fraser and Villeneuve don't sound like they will.

Except for that one loving dream one-shot that breaks all of those rules.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So is it gonna be a full year of new posts in this thread being 50/50 a sign of cool sequel news or just palpy being weird?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dennis Villeneuve has said that his intent is to do Messiah as Part 3, but in 10 years when Chalamet has aged up naturally. In the mean time WB and Spaihts are planning other films and series that will spin-off of Dune.

Ardent Communist posted:

did i already post this?

makes me laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHK5fBm1YWk&t=5s

EDIT: yep, in march. still funny

I'm disappointed that the channel never expanded beyond that one video, but I suppose it would be a difficult one to top.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Whether or not it’s a bigger downer than the first book largely depends on how well you understood the implications of the first book’s ending.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Only people with very high IQs can appreciate DUNC

Haha, I don't mean it like that. I just mean that most of the downer stuff in Messiah is alluded to in Dune. But if you read it when you're 14 (Like I did) you might just get caught up in the thrill of Paul winning and becoming emperor and just kinda ignore how he failed to prevent the jihad he sees coming. Then Messiah kind of rubs your face in all those implications.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Axlotl tanks always gives me a chuckle. The bio horror cloning system has a name derived from… axolotls? The cute little lizard guys?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah whatever he’s doing, I’m always happy to see him pop up in a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

“Yes Denis, the samurai swords are essential.”