Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

davidspackage posted:

"Madman spice addict" isn't really a fitting description on the Baron. He was only really a madman in the Lynch version.

Yeah, in the books he’s always going on about intricate “plans within plans,” disdains others for less than shrewd indulgences, and what little “craziness” he does exhibit is a ruse to distract from his actual intentions. He’s very much a meticulously plotting mastermind in the novel. He indulges his sadism a bit too much when he captures Leto, but otherwise is always very aware and calculating.

A lot of the early criticism I’m reading seems to be from people forming their ideas of Dune either from Lynch and Jodorowsky’s designs or the cookiness of the later books. But the first two books are a lot more grounded and the few visual descriptions they give tend to be very austere. Halls carved of stone, structures impressive for their size rather than ornamentation. This brutalist take seems fitting.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

Koirhor posted:

So uhh what happened to that footage with inception?

I thought the footage was gonna be with Tenet, which didn’t make its release? Still supposed to get something at the end of the week from the online Comic-Con thing, I think?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

The_Doctor posted:

SDCC@Home is over now, though. Its last day was yesterday.

Ah, whoops. Apparently Warner Bros mostly sat SDCC out in favor of doing their own event on August 22nd. Maybe then?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

Eh, if you actually watch the interview in question he doesn't say it quite like that. He's the guy in charge of the physically constructed props and sets and is largely talking from that perspective. There are worms touched on in Paul's dreams and some other bits but the only *practical* thing made for the filming were some worm scales that let them simulate the sand moving over the skin on set. They won't be building practical worms until part 2. What happens with CGI isn't quite so directly under his purview.

I wouldn't be surprised if the worms in part one are largely hinted at in horror film style though. Maybe some surreal visions in the dreams and then just implied scale and maybe a bit of a mouth when the harvester goes under. But we probably won't see fully breeched worms until the second movie.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

Saw Tenet in Korea but no Dune trailer. :(

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

Empire doesn’t typically use the official logo design, if that’s what you mean

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

That was... not the ideal way to first experience it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

I don’t really understand why Dune should look like an acid trip at all. The descriptions in the book are fairly grounded and kind of brutalist? Are people just really wanting the Jodorowsky take? His movie sounded cool but had nothing to do with the novel.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

its a universe where the closest helicopter analogue is a plane that flaps its wings like a loving bird, there isn't gently caress-all in Dune that's supposed to be grounded or familiar.

The descriptions of the buildings and armors in the book are fairly sparse but tend to lean toward brutalist aesthetics. Paul's palace, one of the few vividly described spaces, especially. If we were meant to be imagining more bombastic visuals while reading the novel, Herbert sure didn't put any effort into indicating that. Elements like the ornithopters are weird, but not in an acid trip fashion. They do actually flap in Denis' version, in a way that fits with the rest of the aesthetic.

I don't know, what I'm seeing from Denis' matches what I saw in my minds-eye whenever I read the books.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

PeterWeller posted:

The ornithopters' wings are articulated, but they don't flap to generate lift. They can just be adjusted into different configurations for different situations and needs. It's like a more complex version of the swing wing designs on some supersonic fighters and bombers.

The book specifically mentions Paul and other pilots adjusting the speed of the flapping in a few points though?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it looks good, but I wish the colours were more vibrant. Like Arrakis should feel blazing and desolate and bright at all times.

This would make a great paperback cover if like it wasn't just so loving dark.

The part where Paul and Jessica run from the worm to the rocks is at dusk in the book too though?

Not feeling the song choice mood wise, even if Floyd has history with the franchise. Liked everything else though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Lynch's film came out in 1984 so probably only Heretics and Chapterhouse would have that influence, if any is present. I don't know when Jodo's was in production though. God Emperor came out in 1981 so maybe?

Jodorowsky’s version began development in 1974 and was largely storyboarded and designed within that year. The development of Lynch’s version also took several years and there’s a bit of continuity and crossover of some design work between his version and Jodorowsky’s.

Anything after Messiah *could* have been influenced by the films, though it’s hard to say for sure without direct quotes from Herbert himself. It’s certainly interesting that all the weirdest poo poo shows up in the novels written after Jodorowky had shown him his version, though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

david_a posted:

Alien DC is not better than the theatrical. The cocoon scene was cut for good reasons.

To be fair, it isn’t actually a true DC. Scott had said the theatrical cut is his preferred version, he just wanted to show fans what could have been and the studio called it a director’s cut for marketing purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003
Belgium!

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

i thought no one liked alien 3 better than aliens other than me

Well, he didn’t say Fincher is better than Cameron. So he might not.