System Message

The forum store is down for maintenance. The beta test went well!
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Dunkiní Idaho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

moths posted:

It's jarring that "Idaho" would have any meaning 15,000 years from now, since it barely has any today.

15000 years from now it no longer refers to the state, and instead is a phrase in future vernacular that means ďIt is I, the prostituteĒ

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

You need Thufir for the drama of refusing to attack Paul at the end.

And if theyíre following the book more closely, to scrap with Jessica to show how she was distrusted

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 16, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Roadie posted:

When it comes to the spice eyes effect, my default mental image is pretty much always Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia.

I have to wonder how much of that aesthetic in the book was inspired on that film's cinematography.

If youíre gonna do crazy eyes Peter otoole gotta go with the murder boner face

But yeah I also wonder how much of Dune was inspired by Lawrence of Arabia

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Dune is only in theaters

You canít live your life in fear. Fear is the mind killer.

just kidding better to have the mind killer than the lung killer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Wizchine posted:

I didn't hear any ululation in the vocals. Is anything from a Middle-Eastern or North African musical tradition verboten, despite the logical shorthand connecting them to the imaginary Fremen?

fremen break out in Irish riverdancing, but with uneven steps so as not to attract the worms

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

bawfuls posted:

when did that change? It was listed with all the other HBO streaming releases for months.

edit: Dune is still listed on this page https://www.hbomax.com/same-day-premieres

Ah, sorry I was looking at outdated news

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 5, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Automatic Slim posted:

Itís Lawerance of Arabia on psychedelics. LoA came out in Ď62 and thatís when Herbert started writing Dune.

And like the real life Lawerance of Arabia, thereís a sad after life when the story ends.

Villeneuve is going to have to address this one way or another whether he wants to or not.

I canít find where it is right now but somewhere at the Venice premiere Q&A villeneuve gets asked about white savior complex and he explicitly says Dune is not a white savior story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Z3Wm52yTU

Is it fair to say Dune is a white savior story, and that the later books tear the white savior myth apart, or is there anti-white-savior stuff in the first book as well? I havenít read the first book since high school and havenít read the sequels

The Fremen religion being deliberately manufactured, was that in the first book?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 5, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

They said I could be anything so I became Arrakis, Dune, desert planet

They said I could be anything so I became outer space

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

It's not in here.

Ahh poo poo youíre right I went through it again looking for it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Cheap Trick posted:

The cinema release date change makes sense since there's lockdowns going on here, but no streaming alternative... :sigh:

Well maybe if you guys hosed up your covid response more and got hundreds of thousands killed youíd get rewarded with a streaming release

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The glowing review is encouraging, but man, I hope the actors in the movie pronounce things more consistently than this guy does

Iím sure Deli Vellanov will pull it off

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Thinking about Holtzman shields and their influence on sci-fi anime

Mainly itís an excuse for melee combat in an age of laser guns

Holtzman comes up with several world-changing technologies

In Gundam they have Minovsky, who developed fusion reactors and also discovered a new subatomic particle released by fusion, the Minovsky particle

Minovsky particles interfere with radar, which gives giant robots an excuse for close quarters gunfights and lightsaber fights

Minovsky particles also made lightsabers possible

In Legend of Galactic Heroes, thereís something called Zephyr particles that combatants on both sides release into the air, which will explode if lasers are fired, so armored soldiers are forced to fight with axes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

DeimosRising posted:

Why wouldnít they just use regular guns

Blows up if thereís gunfire too

Only the superpowers had the resources to use this anti-gun/laser gas so youíd only see gunfire when there was something asymmetrical like guerilla warfare, terrorist attacks, massacring civilians

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 10, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Maarak posted:

Otherway around. Star Wars came out in 1977, Mobile Suit Gundam 1979.

Sorry, I mean Minovsky particles made Beam Sabersô possible in the Gundam universe

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Theaters are safe as long as:

1. You wear an N95, KN95, KF94 or reusable respirator and make sure it has a good seal on your face. Cloth masks suck at filtering and surgical masks have leaks on the sides.

2. Never take it off, no food, no drink

3. Wear eye protection

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Drone posted:

I unfortunately had to see it in 3D, but I will say that it's probably the best 3D movie in years -- because it barely makes use of the 3D at all. It works really well on some of the grandiose, larger-than-life architecture of Caladan and Arrakeen though.

Maybe I will see it in 3D then

Some of the best 3D I can remember was in Gravity distance shots and Prometheus landscape shots, where nothing was moving fast and they just wanted you to soak in the scale of what you were looking at.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

By which point, the T1000 as a bad guy was already in the public consciousness, fully ruining the T2 "twist" (which had already been ruined by some of the marketing, the GnR video, and the fact that Robert Patrick looks creepy as poo poo).

A few years ago I forced my girlfriend to a cinema double bill of The Terminator and T2, and she was actually pretty :aaa: at the reveal, which was wild

One of the trailers gave it away but man, if you were able to avoid spoilers that was a good twist

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Kinda weird, isnít Star Trek the antithesis of libertarian

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

If you have a decent sized HDTV at home and want the theatrical experience, just sit on the floor in front of your TV. The act of craning your head up slightly plus having the screen large enough that you have to move your eyes a little to see all the corners feels cinematic. I did this during Lawrence of Arabia when I got the Blu-ray and it felt surprisingly fun

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

A couple friends have complained that Dune was excessively loud, one friend even had to plug his fingers into his ears

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

AwkwardKnob posted:

Have you left the house in the past 6 months? Because reading a post like this leads me to believe maybe you haven't. You're not gonna fuckin die if you go to a movie theater. 80+% of Americans have gotten at least one dose of the covid vaccine. Leave your mask on and sit 6 feet away from other people. It's riskier to ride the bus.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

For the record you can watch a movie in a theater safely if:

1) You use a KF94, KN95, FFP2, N95 or higher rated mask (cloth masks and surgical masks are better than nothing but not by much)

2) you wear eye protection such as glasses or goggles

3) donít take off your mask for any reason at the theater, not to eat, not in the restroom

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Dune was pretty good except for Aidan Gallagher as Paul Atreides I donít think he was quite up to the role

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just let Carpenter Brut do it like he did Blood Machines

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Happy Dune Day everybody

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Would this movie be okay for a 12 year old

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Film was very good

Nitpicks:
The personal shields in the Lymch movie were cooler. On the other hand the swarms of dudes in shields lighting up in battle was awesome

Too many repetitive flashbacks

The shot of Paulís hand melting in the pain box in the Lynch movie should have been in this movie, it was very anticlimactic without

Wish there was a navigator but oh well

Wish there was more Thufir

Bene Gesserits being bald looked striking in the Lymch movie and Villeneuveís were kinda boring by comparison

Thatís about it

Things I liked
The way sand gurgled and became liquid when sand worms came around

Most of the second half being full of surprises because I didnít remember the book well and it was stuff that was cut from the Lynch movie.

Keynes going out like a boss

Making it clear the Fremen religion was planted

Bombs landing on shielded targets

Bigass lasers cutting through terrain

Heighliner looked awesome

The Voice was good

Landscape shots making it clear that the spice industry was a massive operation

Duncan getting fleshed out pretty well

A couple lines to make it clear that space travel and military action is super expensive

Making it clear the Bene Gesserit planted the Fremen religion

Dudes coming out of the sand

The palm trees burning, combined with the line about Dune being turned into a desert to make money

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 22, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Haha that too

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

I love the Daft Punk Crew but is that a loving Chambord bottle

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Can't wait for the 4 hour Alan Smithee version

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Roommate knows sign language and says whatever sign language theyíre using in the movie is not ASL

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Oh yeah one more thing that was not cool:
that one wire-fu jump that Duncan does

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Rabelais D posted:

If Paul isn't magic how can he, a scrawny kid with no real life fighting experience, overcome a seasoned veteran at the end?

Through the power of believing in yourself

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Ohhh speaking of Jessica i just remembered an amazing moment

When Paul brings up that he knows Jessica is pregnant, she is utterly shocked like she got caught in a scheme. The implication seemed to be that Paul is accusing his mom of intending to replace him with a daughter so that she can fulfill her job as the grandmother of the Kwisatz Haderach

Is that in the book

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

It was really well presented, like they give you enough pieces of information that when the moment comes, you put 2 and 2 together and realize how Paul feels about it even though he doesnít say it outright

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Regarding Jamis, I think Paul hesitated for more than one reason

in his visions Paul saw an alternate future where he was friends with Jamis, so killing him meant that friendship and that branch of time would never happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Just throwing out a bunch of random thoughts today

It really stuck out to me that a lot of the hardware is dressed like modern American military hardware. Duncanís flight suit looked like something from Top Gun. The ornithopterís flight meters were white on black similar to modern flight meters. The ornithopterís exterior design looks a lot like a military helicopter. And beyond that the tarmac scenes gave me major Desert Storm vibes

By contrast the Lynch movie dressed things up like a 1700-1800ís European story