Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This movie will live or die for me depending on how well it gets the characterization correct. The 1984 film stripped Paul Atreides of any of his personality from the book, and it was so frustrating and disappointing. On top of leaving out just a ton of really good scenes that bring Arrakis to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I hate that the Lynch version lacks so much cool poo poo and characterization but the part where (most of the dialogue at least is from the book) the baron finishes talking about the plan building up to screaming "IT IS I! BARON VLADIMIR HARKKONEN, WHO ENCOMPASSES HIS DOOM!!!" before ripping out that dude's heart plug and feeding on him and then floats around laughing maniacally for like a minute straight as prog organ music is blasting is loving amazing. :perfect:

Absolute truth. There are some amazing visuals and dialog in that film.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Any ideas as to when we might get the first teaser/trailer for this? I saw some speculation that it might be within the next two months but nothing concrete.

Nothing yet, i'm extremely impatient for this. I would think it would be very soon though. Sometime this spring if the movie is getting a December release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a TV show adaptation of Dune, right? Or when we talk about the series, are we referring to the TV adaptation of sequel, Children of Dune?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I've never actually seen the Lynch Dune. Is it streaming anywhere?

Sadly you just missed Amazon Prime streaming it. They pulled it very recently and now only have the digital version for sale.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

davidspackage posted:

I will never not love that they just taped a rat to a cat

This is one of my favorite scenes of the movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sponges posted:

Is Lynchs Dune a bad movie or just a bad adaptation?

Its both a bad movie and a bad adaptation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is coming out in December, and that tends to be a big month for blockbuster movies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trailer when

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Tomorrow apparently.

Want it now! :mad: I'm so excited!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

STOP HURTING ME

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just saw the opening U.S. weekend figures for Tenet and lol, It would be so stupid to still release DUNE in theaters only in December.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trailer in about 30 minutes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Holy poo poo thank you! That was a great trailer. So excited for December.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:eyepop:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think I need more time with this trailer. I don't want to admit to being underwhelmed? Really did not like the song choice for this (Pink Floyd is overrated to be honest), or the pacing of the trailer. Also, I noticed that December 18th is no longer mentioned as the release date. Denis Villeneuve like a month ago said that post-production editing and reshoots are far from complete and expressed serious doubt about finishing the film on time. Between that, and Warner Brothers seeing that Tenet flopped in theaters, I think this movie is being pushed back in 2021.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

yoohoo posted:

Arrakis should definitely be fiery loving red not gloomy and grey. Also I hate that they spoiled the worms.

Otherwise I am so here for this.

My understanding of how the books explain Arrakis, is that it would actually not look like that, because it's an entire desert planet, how it looks in the film is pretty accurate. Does it make for a good cinematic look? Nope, but at least its realistic I suppose!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AwkwardKnob posted:

Yes! It seems like the Harkonnens are all kind of pale and ghostly looking

Dave Bautista's character looks so badass. He is going to make a great Harkonnen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I noticed the official Youtube channel has updated its description section to mention at the very end that the film is slated to be released December 18. Okay I can take back everything I said about my concerns with the movie being delayed. :v: Glad to be way off base with that one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I hope it gets pushed back.

I hope you get pushed back! :mad:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

No one needs to die for a movie this year

Sooner its in theaters, sooner it comes to digital. I wont be seeing this film in theaters personally.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm hoping the trailer is just bad, because a Villeneuve sci fi movie without expansive vistas full of detail would be weird.

Every single wide shot of landscape is just a single worm spread out across both films. By the end, the camera shots are done showing off the entire worm, and we get to the final act of the movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WarMECH posted:

Oscar Isaac's beard.

This is the true landscape shots, I was lying previously.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

That’s a bit silly. Nolan can’t be blamed for the pandemic, and WB and Nolan were presumably hand-in-hand in the release strategy. Nolan is a uniquely reliable and bankable talent. One critical /box office misfire isn’t going to affect his trajectory at all.

It was a massively bad call on his part to insist the film come to theaters only. That is at least on him.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Automatic Slim posted:

It’s Lawerance of Arabia on psychedelics. LoA came out in ‘62 and that’s when Herbert started writing Dune.

And like the real life Lawerance of Arabia, there’s a sad after life when the story ends.

Villeneuve is going to have to address this one way or another whether he wants to or not.

Dune doesn't have a white savior plot though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just finished watching. Extremely loving good. I wish it had more, but that is an impossible ask. What we got is still great and really well done. I am so happy with this adaptation of one of my favorite books.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The music was... fine, but zimmer is honestly hit or miss on memorable themes, and this is no interstellar. I actually prefer the lynch soundtrack yes i know it's toto, fight me. I have to give the production design to lynch as well, that's the one (and only) thing that movie absolutely nails out of the park 100% of the time.

Did you at least catch the Lynch Dune theme song near the end

I dunno, I had a loving orgasm over the soundtrack.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They made it abundantly clear imo, clearer even than I remember the books being about it

I agree, it's kinda spread out over two or three scenes, but it's there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/281610/Homeworld_Deserts_of_Kharak/ is a good Dune inspired game if anyone wants something more modern.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Parts of this movie did feel like a bunch of suits in a boardroom meddled with it, and demanded certain things of it. The lack of violence, and how clean the deaths felt, were almost for sure one of those things. Someone absolutely said "we want this to be our Star Wars."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FPyat posted:

Between this and Mad Max: Fury Road, what had the better sandstorm sequence?

The sandstorm sequence in Dune, used at least partially, captured footage of air shots of sandstorms in Arizona. I know this because I use to live there and recognized one of the more well known images. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One of the things with Jessica in the book, that is left out of the movie, but I wish was there was her close relationship with Yueh, and the part where they are settling into life on Arrakis, and she starts to suspect that Yueh is hiding some really horrible secret. Although I like how the movie ends up handling Yueh's betrayal anyways, its very different from the book, and the Lynch version.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Part 2 is meant to be the conclusion to the first book, right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DTurtle posted:

We might have to wait longer for Part Two:

I guess technically we are already into a 1+ year delay for part 2, so a bit longer is no big deal. The actors deserve more than what they are getting, and that is more important than seeing this movie, as excited as I am for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Or the studios could just give the actors and writers what they're asking for.

Executives don't wanna, they would rather both groups go away and be replaced with AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I support unions and them showing solidarity and poo poo but it’s kinda hard to feel bad for actors “not getting enough” when you see them walking on the red carpet and all the other extravagances and lifestyle their job affords them.

The number of big time actors that make a liveable wage on acting, is very tiny. Like 1% if even that. The average pay is like $30,000 a year. This strike is for those actors.