Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I liked the trailer a lot!

Yadoppsi posted:

It actually seems like they are backing away from alot of the Islamic elements of the book. I hope its just a misdirect for the trailers and sneak peaks.

I noticed the trailer line was a crusade is coming, but remember it as a jihad in the book. That might actually resonate better in 2020, since Americans generally believe that terrible religious wars are things other people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah the idea is that the holy war is supposedly waged in Atrades' interests but against their will.

Paul's describing an "us" problem, not "the foreigners" as jihad would read in 2020.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I expect that the first movie would end with Beast Rabban getting replaced with Feyd, since it'll look like a victory but then oops no.

Plus that comes around the two years when Paul goes into hiding with the Fremen, so you kind of get the Empire Strikes Back vibe that there's a lot more work to do.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's jarring that "Idaho" would have any meaning 15,000 years from now, since it barely has any today.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

In its defense, it'll probably be a popular seafront coastal state within 100 years.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Davros1 posted:

No Sandworm ... Yet

It's a build a figure. Collect all 128 and make a sandworm the size of your apartment!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Where are you seeing Brian's name in this?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh poo poo, I see what you're looking at. No, that's just bad sentence structure - the cover features a scene from the film.

It's confusing because the tweet reads like this printing of Dune contains a new scene (but they'd have to credit that.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

T UU U N C

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They're banking on 2020 being a better place in three months with the energy of a mark losing three card monte for six hours straight

moths
Aug 25, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe WB are thinking long-term with Dune as a series with a cult following they can milk for years instead of a big box office.

I think this is the case, studios have been hunting for the next legacy franchise ever since Marvel went big.

It does seem to be roughly coloring in the same lines as Marvel's success, in that it's a big budget all-star adaptation that stays faithful to the source material. That might mean less now that it's the norm these days.

They may also be looking to siphon off some of the Star Wars money now that that franchise has hit oversaturation.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Do format codes work in thread titles?

It might be nice to have D U N C.

Or maybe D U N €, it looks less dungy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think it's the lighting - the sculpts look much closer to the actors when there are shadows.

Although that double chin on toy Bautista is really unsettling.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't think he has for a while, but I haven't kept up with action figures.

Here's a better picture of that chin I was talking about :

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Pumpkin Spice Melatte

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh no. I hope this won't mess up the second movie.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Am I correctly assuming they didn't film the first and second parts concurrently?

Releasing half a book as a movie is always risky, but this might be the first franchise to do that with the first book. (Unless you count The Hobbit.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Just wait 10,000 years and watch the real thing

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The problem with a Tenet joke is that it requires both Americans who saw it to be in the same thread.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Billy Zane as Feyd would be really hard not to love.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

My understanding is that the idea goes as far back to the Sherlock Holmes mysteries.

I mean, also the bible, but yeah.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Theaters are dying, and "people must not like Dune" sounds better than "capitalism is inadequate in a crisis" to the executives who'll decide to axe Dune part 2.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It really depends on COVID being a nonissue in Q4.

IF that happens, a space politics nerd movie sequel is a lower tier thing to be happy about.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Checkmate, nerds - Can't have a hero's journey without a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Was that something else the Matrix stole?