Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Egbert Souse posted:

Lynch plays the Emperor

"HEADING OVER TO ARRAKEEN, DUNE. WHOLE LOT OF SHAKIN' GOING ON ON DUNE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hemp Knight posted:

If you’re just filming the first book, then Idaho would be the one to cut. He doesn’t really do anything and dies about halfway through.

I think Gurney would be the one to cut. He barely does anything, from memory he trains Paul a bit and sings a song early on, and then serves as an infodump at one later point.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PeterWeller posted:

Duncan doesn't just disappear off screen. Paul sees him catch a slow pellet in the head: "Paul had one last glimpse of Idaho standing against a swarm of Harkonnen uniforms--his jerking controlled staggers, the black goat hair with a red blossom of death in it." Then a few paragraphs later, Jessica says, "Duncan's dead, Paul. You saw the wound."

I think this sad anticlimactic death is much more fitting to the story, and I think it would be more effective on screen than some glorious death in an arena.

Anticlimactic? Doesn't he die fighting off 19 Sardaukar and mostly winning?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nessus posted:

Depending on how you look at it, he definitely wins, but the story doesn't stay focused on the heroic Last Stand of Duncan Idaho, instead it follows the Duke's psychic son and his mom as they flee further.

True, but any director looking to add an extra action scene has his work cut out for him there.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kassad posted:

I don't see anything wrong with these costumes but I do hope members of the imperial court have insanely elaborate costumes (if we see them in this film). They're literally decadent nobility constantly reminding everyone else that they're better than them.

That, and I hope the Atreides have their own fancy costumes at the dinner party scenes.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the miniseries is slavishly faithful to the book

And yet Irulan shows up at the Atreides banquet!

Generally the CoD series is better but still quite low-budget. I liked CoD Paul and yes of course McNiece as the Baron. Someone will probably post his lines from Rome.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rando posted:

Drugs don't make you an rear end in a top hat they just amplify the rear end in a top hat within.

- Tleilaxu proverb

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Isn't it a really dumb rookie mistake too? Like he keeps fidgeting and pointing his sleeve at the BGs?

A little, but the BGs are supposed to be extremely perceptive as well.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hakkesshu posted:

That brief taste of the score is very good

I'm going to be disappointed if somebody doesn't immediately re-score the trailer with the Dune 2 music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGCZ4dASNuA

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I liked how the shields looked - it conveys fairly well what is happening which is key. Also provides colour to otherwise very muted scenes which I like

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hemp Knight posted:

I think the only description of them in the book is when a captured Sardaukar is brought to Paul, and is described as blond and blue eyed, which seems to be typical of Sardaukar officers. As such, I’ve always pictured the Sardaukar as Nordic or Aryan looking, in contrast to the Arabic looking Fremen or Greek/Mediterranean Atreides..

Given the Sardaukar's origins I don't think that guy is supposed to be specifically representative though. They are the survivors of the imperial prison colonies, so it seems unlikely that they are of one particular race or culture

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Dune 2: Genetic Boogaloo

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That's a fine length for a movie, and should be more than enough to cover the first half of the book with a competent director.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
They can still film Dune Part 2 and Dune Messiah back to back!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

well why not posted:

THIS FILM DEDICATED TO THE BRAVE MUJAHIDEENFEDAYKIN FIGHTERS OF ARRAKIS

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't really recall Frank's books mentioning anything about Ix's government structure one way or the other. There might be something in God-Emperor, but then again that may not be the same structure as during books 1-3.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spermando posted:

Bald guys hate it when you do that to them.

"Light your palm trees on fire" hate it, or "eternal vendetta against your entire family" hate it?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If the movie does well then I really hope they can make two further movies in one go, Dune 2 and Messiah.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ammanas posted:

regarding yeuh i thought the reason he was able to violate his conditioning wasnt that his wife was being tortured or would be killed or was dead it was the schroedingers cat aspect of her being all those conditions and not at once

that ambiguity broke him in some way.

suks to be yueh

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Plus you'll have to explain why a dude who looks 35 has a daughter of marriable age. Muxh easier to say that this geriatric is actually like 150.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Children is definitely the most anime book I've ever read

A bold statement about a book in the same series as Heretics and Chapterhouse

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on Face Dancers and at what point they become indistinguishable from the people they portray

e: Dunesnipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGCZ4dASNuA

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 19, 2023

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You're welcome

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's an ooold trick. Helps that the setting specifically has ridiculously advanced technology in the biological areas, despite or perhaps specifically because of the Jihad, and some adaptations play up the Harkonnens specifically having among the best. The Baron probably wouldn't have to be morbidly obese if he didn't want to be, regardless of his lifestyle. He gleefully wallows in his own crapulence and lords it over everyone else, culminating in his confrontation with Leto- which Yueh knew for a certainty that he would absolutely do.

The great part is that Rabban plays up his dumb brute act in the same way that the Baron plays up his obese hedonist act. Yet the Baron never suspects that Rabban is a lot smarter than he lets on and falls for it hook, line and sinker. The Baron is not as clever as he thinks he is.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Messiah has a stoneburner, not a lasgun-shield reaction. If they do Messiah I'm looking forward to the Preacher and how they portray Alia's madness.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NmareBfly posted:

They ARE showing Fire Walk With Me next month for some reason. :getin:

Basically the same movie right?

Visions, murder, drug use, sietch orgy, yeah pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm very impressed with how well we are shown the sheer speed of a sandworm. You very obviously cannot outrun one. We see this both in the brief shot of the worms heading towards the Sardaukar (?) and again when Paul calls and rides one.