Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

movie owned, looking forward to seeing it in the cinemas when it gets to new zealand in 2068

i have seen the lynch movie and read the book but both were many years ago and i only barely remember them, had no problem following the villeneuve version

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Gadfly posted:

I thought this movie was downright awful. From the score, script, plot, costumes, acting, directing, shots, etc. I've watched daytime soaps and 80s trash with better acting. There's no conviction behind anything the actors are saying. Did they buy the costumes from a temporary Halloween store in an empty mall? All the Islamic stuff was forced in. Everything looks too clean which was my problem with BR2049. In fact it's slower and longer than BR2049 but even more unimaginable.

Denis is a total hack. BR2049 was utterly pointless and this is just straight garbage. You know its bad when I'd rather watch a Zack Snyder movie over this, hell I'll even take Batman v Superman. Marvel movies are better than this, and all those are just amusement rides with dumb jokes. This is absolutely worse than Lynch's Dune. And Lynch's version has its own problems, sure like the hamfisted acting and the melodramatic inner monologue crap. But kudos to Lynch for trying to detangle such an intricate story without watering it down too much for the masses. The visuals are still amazing and you get the sense of each distinct culture. Everything has a distinct look to it from the costumes, to the effects and even vehicles. It's a beautifully cohesive imaginative work.

Denis' Dune is like the opposite, nothing too melodramtic but yet zero imagination and the story too simplified.

Dune is just impossible to make as a movie. So much of that book is about world building and exposition and internal dialogue and so on.

so this is a copy paste of a review by a marvel fanboy mad at dennis over his comments about marvel movies right

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

do the books explain why vlad is only a baron while leto is a duke? they both seem to have their own entire planet and be comparably powerful before the events of dune

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

thotsky posted:

The Lynch version pulls off pretty much everything except the Toto-scored Flash Gordon-esque battle scene in the climax. It's too camp for the tone of the movie, but not camp enough to be entertaining.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Automatic Slim posted:

the constant referral and comparison to the ‘84 version is excessive and unnecessary.

it's also totally inevitable and asking people not to do it is like asking the sun not to rise

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Automatic Slim posted:

The only choice to play the Emperor is Werner Herzog.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Try scratching the middle of your back.

trivially easy actually :colbert:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

spicy meringue lmao

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Does the emperor have any shirtless scenes?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Xealot posted:

Foundation found a way, so sure.

:thejoke:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

idk what theincal is but i can’t stop reading it as theincel

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The actor needs to just ooze arrogance.

Someone already posted this ages ago, as a Foundation joke, but Lee Pace would unironically be perfect

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Too much Galactic Emperor

never enough

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

my problem with this scene is that both factions in the battle are wearing nearly identical suits in nearly identical colors. as an audience member, i can only differentiate them because one is on the left side of the screen while the other is on the right side of the screen

You don’t need to be able to differentiate them in that scene. The point is that Paul’s having a vision of being involved in violence and death.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Danny DeVito should be the emperor, like imagine his delivery of "Bring me that floating fat man, the Baron!"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Janissaries. Or Australians.

lmao your average Australian is at best on a par with your average American in terms of combat ability

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

the prison colony thing hasn't been relevant for a very long time and the vast majority of the population live comfortable city lives just like most people in every other western country

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 14, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I think you mean DUNC DONC

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

That game for real owns, when we first played it we were all sort of worried at first because it seems incredibly complex but after the first turn everything just flows so well and it does an amazing job working the plans within plans/alliances/loving people over stuff into what honestly can be a pretty fast paced game. Really impressive and I totally see why it has such a cult following.

Yeah I had a great time with it. I played as the spacer's guild and opened up by hotdropping a huge force onto Carthag which promptly got obliterated when it turned out the commander was in the Harkonnens' pocket. I recovered somewhat from that but despite being rich as gently caress (other players have to pay the guild every time they land troops from space), didn't have the manpower to dislodge the two strong alliances that were dominating the game. But I was able to bankroll two more-or-less elimated factions (including the Harkonnens) back into the game which were enough to stop any of the big players from achieving a victory condition before the final turn... and the spacer's guild wins if nobody else does by then :agesilaus::hf::homebrew:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well when you have a rugged tough guy like chalamet playing the lead you need some pretty guys in the supporting roles to round the cast out a little

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

well why not posted:

Austin Butler is not Elvis, he is not "sort of Elvis", he is merely an actor who has played Elvis and adopted some of Elvis' mannerisms and speech patterns.

wait, are you saying he's not Literally Elvis? i've been loving lied to

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

it's already 2023 and now i have to wait until 2024 for this movie? what the gently caress???

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

:perfect:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Oh, right, my bad. :doh:

Dune is set like 20k years after Fatboy Slim was around, duh

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's the sequel to the third movie version of a book that came out in 1965.

The statute of limitations on spoilers has run the gently caress out. Hey, guess what, at the end of Pride and Prejudice, they get married.

nobody's complaining about people posting spoilers. some people don't want to watch the sneak peak clip despite knowing the story because we want to enjoy the whole movie at once when it comes out, not in bits and pieces

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

My guess is that Herbert wanted to include sword fights to add to the medieval/feudal flavor of the world, and so he worked backwards from that idea and had to contrive the lasgun/shield thing to justify it.

why not just not have lasers in your sci fi universe

or just say shields beat them just like they do guns

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Rots was a big deal for people my age

Sorry about your generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Come to Boston where the only two proper IMAX screens do not allow for reserved seats and only have showings on the weekends

come to new zealand where the only proper imax screen is in auckland