Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Feyd doesn't really show up until late in the book so will probably only appear in DUNC: Part 2 if they make it.

I'm currently in a reread myself and I was just thinking that in the scene where Feyd fights an unnamed Atreides soldier to impress his uncle and Count Fenring, they could make him be Duncan in the movie to give Momoa a cool onscreen death instead of just disappearing like he did in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Rabban and Feyd serve entirely different purposes in the story that wouldn't make any sense.

And actors for Duncan/Thufir/Gurney have all been cast already so they are definitely 3 separate characters.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
If Herbert stayed alive long enough to finish the final book in the DUNE saga we would have learned that it was, after all, the story of one Duncan Idaho and the friends he made along the way.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
The slow blade penetrates the shield...

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

The scifi series was goofy in a lot of ways but the casting was really loving great across the board.

Hmmm I didn't care for Paul or Leto in that version but the Baron was perfect.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
When the theater starts rumbling and my seat is shaking as a 500 meter loving sandworm of Arrakis bursts out of the ground in fantastic CGI the last thing I'll be thinking of is the gloves worn by Muad'dib. This movie already looks amazing and we've seen maybe 1% of the final product.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Duke Leto: "lol good luck trying to break Suk Imperial Conditioning, it's impossible!"

*Piter de Vries tortures Yueh's wife which breaks him easily*

Duke Leto: "Ah! Well. Nevertheless,"

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Exactly. In Dune the whole revolt against thinking machines is less fear of Terminators/Skynet and more WALL-E where humans become fully dependent.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Poor 'ol Duncan, looked at Harkonnens and died.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
This trailer owns.

Shields look awesome. Costumes look awesome. Special Effects look awesome. Duncan looks like a legit badass this time. Wish they hadn't shown a worm in the trailer, they could have stopped short of it surfacing and just the look of abject horror on Paul and Jessica's face.

DUNE

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Oscar Isaac's beard.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Action figures of the main characters is dumb baby poo poo for babies.

Give me a 1/12 scale 3rd Stage Guild Navigator floating in a tank of spice gas to mount over my fireplace or a life-sized Little Maker I can drown in the bathtub to make my own Water of Life.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

elton john voice: b-b-b-bene geseritssss

:vince:

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

YoursTruly posted:

Lynch movie was good. Good David Lynch movie. Good Dune movie.

:hmmyes:

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
If I was gonna see one movie in a theater this year it would be this one, but not gonna risk it because of Covid.

Thanks, chuds! (I'm in FL)

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Jessica's father is the Barron, that is canon. Mohiam being her mother is failson bullshit and is just 10 levels of stupid.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

I think it's the opposite! On average it seems like people who have a lot of exposure to the books and lynch film have more complaints than people who went in blind.

most of the reasons I came away disappointed were because things I wanted to see didn't appear, or because things were represented in a way I thought was disappointing compared to how I imagined them

Yeah this is me: I've read the books multiple times and am a huge fan of the 1984 movie for what it is. My only complaints about the new movie are the stuff that was left out (would like more explaining Mentats, Dr. Yueh backstory, etc.) but everything that was shown was absolutely amazing.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I just remembered the movie makes a big deal about Jessica hiring the Shadout Mapes and then she's in one other scene but she's dead.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

NmareBfly posted:

I just wonder if they'll drop a line about Shaddam being 150 years old and looking 70 instead of 80->40 or whatever. The actual age doesn't feel like a big deal but him looking younger than he should seems like a significant detail.

This makes the most sense. Casting an actor in their 40s and saying "this dude is actually 79 years old can you believe it!" just wouldn't work in film. I trust Denis to make it work regardless of his approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

this is exactly how i envisioned leto ii when reading geod

uncanny!