Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Libluini posted:

OK, without context I thought the dark version looked better. But you all apparently prefer the shrill yellow nightmare world on the left??

Rather than (just) dunking on you, I'll say this: it's not (just) an issue of taste.

The colors in the original are expressionistic—they are meant to evoke particular feelings and ideas. What you interpret as a "shrill nightmare world" is an intentional effect: the figure is falling down a massive shaft toward the lower levels of the city and toward his (purported) death. He is in danger, he is anxious, and he is overwhelmed—IIRC this takes place in the middle of a chase sequence. The color fades as it moves toward the center because it makes the shaft feel never-ending, rushing toward the figure. There's a movement to the value contrast. Details are highlighted in yellow to emphasize figures and spaces amongst the cold, blue city space. The figure is colored in red, purple, and orange, colors which are absent in the rest of the image, pulling the eye toward him and also making him distinct from the background, focusing the eye on the color contrast between the two, figure and environment.

In the name of "realism," the recolored version flattens everything, reduces detail, and saps the image of all its life. It may be a bit easier on the eyes in abstract (debatably), but it loses so much more than just beauty and elegance in the process. It's like coloring King Kong, or re-grading Suspiria to be "naturalistic."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

If it’s fan made, why the takedowns?

The way I read that Twitter thread was that the version without the planet/dot/lens flare was a fan-made recreation of the official logo, which did have the planet/dot/lens flare. But it seems weird that the background would be so easily recreated so quickly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Leto is a decent enough actor when well-utilized (Requiem), but he can't elevate material. They needed someone who could make reading a phone book compelling as hell.

The contacts were for sure necessary, though—without him being blind, the whole eye motif falls totally flat.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Plus, Wallace sucks in-universe as well. But I really would have preferred a stronger performance, he's easily the worst part of an otherwise flawless film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a whole planet my dude.

Nuh-uh, I've seen Star Wars. Every planet has one environment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

I don't mind bland if the alternative is the cavalcade of stupid hats from the miniseries, tbh

But I love stupid hats in sci-fi :smith:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Come on, what's not to love about that? Spraypainting overdesigned off-the-shelf consumer products is a staple of science-fiction filmmaking.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
LOTR is the exception, though. Even the Star Wars movies are constantly using real-world items as the base of props and they have way bigger budgets than Dune. Maybe it's just that I spend way too much time on prop making forums watching people excitedly track down original costume and prop sources to make their own replicas, but this is a total non-issue. It's standard for how filmmaking works 99% of the time. And it's cool! It embodies the DIY spirit of practical effects.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He's got a producer credit on it, but that could mean anything. Hopefully it means he gets a little cash and is told to shut up and sit in the corner.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The exact same images now in hot hot HD in case you wanted to make sure that Jason Momoa didn't have a thin veneer of stubble on his babyface.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

It’s fun when you can single out an actor and just know they’re headed for good things. I remember noticing Chadwick Boseman in a guest role on Fringe and thinking I’d see him again in a bigger role. He was absolutely killing it, way more than the subject matter deserved.

Yeah, but it's awful when you can single out an actor and just know they're headed for good things, but then look them up and see them stuck in bit parts for years if they're getting work at all. I have that all the time with contemporary actors who are still working, but the bigger bummer is seeing someone in a film from the 70s who is incredible, then looking them up only to see see that their career went absolutely nowhere afterward.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 27, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Mickey Mouse is about to be in public domain, or at least his original incarnation. Disney's lawyers are choosing not to keep works from public domain anymore, presumably because they can still maintain trademarks forever and sue anyone who isn't, like, scanning their own personal 8mm prints of Steamboat Willie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, it makes sense influence-wise, but that makes me think of this from Phantom Menace.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I'm guessing if it hadn't been for the pandemic we'd have a trailer already, but film marketing has been very very slow for the past couple of months. Very few trailers. Studios are moving release dates constantly so they're probably just playing a waiting game with it. Still, seems strange that we just got a bunch of stills then nothing. Usually that's what precedes a teaser trailer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think it's just how he runs his ships. I was feeling the same thing at this stage of BR2049's production.

...then again, in retrospect I've always felt that film was disastrously under-marketed during production.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't believe either is the case, unfortunately.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you show footage to an empty theater does it count as a sneak peek?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

I mean Inception is a pretty fun theater experience, but a very strange plan since I'm guessing most people are still not willing to risk going to the movies, let alone to see a movie that came out ten years ago.

They're going to look at the box office receipts and immediately delay Tenet again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not much to go on, but because news is scarce here's some heartening thoughts about Dune's cinematography being influenced significantly by Deakins even if he wasn't the DP.

e: And assuming you're talking about the ending of Inception, "gasp" does not accurately convey what happened in my theater. It was more like a collective groan with a few people yelling out "Come on!" But in a good way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And we got so much cool entertainment news out of it, like

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Clipperton posted:

Shane Carruth's not doing anything rn

Well, not any movies, at least...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No tiny glasses 0/10

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Doublepost, but trailer online on the 9th and in theaters with Tenet in the next few days.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm, yeah I'll wait for an HD one, then. But bland has been my worry ever since the first stills came out—the production design is pretty disappointing so far, and that's worrying for where my hopes are post-2049.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

G-III posted:

I fear because I was imprinted by the Lynch dune at a very young and tender age that I won't be able to accept these new costume designs as anything but kinda dull.

That plus the dang amazing hats in the miniseries.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Page numbers in the corner of the screen

Ah, so doubling down on their attempted solution first time around.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, no, not like that. Humans should be human, their culture and dress and whatnot should be unrecognisable I mean.

Two words: funny hats

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The latter is more appropriate because the movie is only going to make any money overseas.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
One year delay.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Titanic is a classic "Just because it's not for you doesn't mean you have to poo poo on it" movie. Dorks who are mad that not all movies aren't made for them seem to still be really mad about it a couple decades later while nobody else really has a strong opinion, and/or just thinks it's a fairly enjoyable flick.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ummmmm Waterworld??

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MasqueradeOverture posted:

New "edit" of Lynch's Dune is out:

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/D-U-N-E-D-E-L-U-X-E-E-D-I-T-I-O-N/id/79476

Not had my hands on it yet, but this looks to be the most 'professional' looking edit of the movie I've stumbled upon. By the description definitely should be better paced than the "let's shove as much deleted material as possible and bloat this poo poo" approach the Spicediver edit has.

Not seeing it in my usual fanedit spots yet, but if you wind up finding it would appreciate a PM.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

i thought no one liked alien 3 better than aliens other than me

You've got allies on this forum, my friend :patriot:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

david_a posted:

I like Alien 3 but saying that it’s better than the original is uh a take alright

Yeah, better than Aliens but not Alien for sure.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Yup :cool:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think that graphic was made before Covenant, but if it were in the list I'd put it above Resurrection. Covenant has a lot of really interesting stuff going on but it's a mess—just like Resurrection. But it has David which for sure gives it the edge. I feel like Isolation would fit between the two on my list.

Though yeah Covenant deserves a rewatch from me. It was a weird expectations thing for me the first time around.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

In veering us slightly back into topic- test screenings have confirmed that neither Fayd nor the Padishah Emperor will be showing up in person in the first part.

Continuing with the tangent- if a miracle happens and part two is made, anyone besides David Lynch as Emperor is grave miscast.

Would you accept Jodorowsky?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sequel script being written.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Movie good.

e:

Very good.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's sick.

C-Euro posted:

Oh man is this poster real, or fan-made based on what's come out about the project?

The film never got close to a stage where it would need a poster. All the art on it is cobbled together from widely available pieces.