Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

I have a feeling this board in particular is going to spend a lot of time coming to grips with our own internalized expectations vs what we've been lowkey indoctrinated into thinking it "should" look like based on the Lynch film. I'm doing my best to consciously un-learn all the Lynch stuff before this as best I can, because I also grew up playing the Westwood Studios RTS games which used his movie extremely heavily in every aspect.

Bring it on Denis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

So.... what's up with the supervising art director stating that there's no worm in part 1? That was kind of a shock.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Isnt one of the stills they've released gurney and paul ostensibly looking at the first worm in the book

That was my thinking, along with a ton of other people. But Bugblatter's rationalization makes sense to me.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Oh my god I read a breakdown of what's in the teaser that's playing before Tenet and I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm going to be insufferable once the full trailer drops.

I must not hype

Hype is the dream killer

It is the cognitive dissonance that brings total disappointment

I will fact check my hype

I will prevent it it to pervert me and overjoy me

And when it has lowered I will turn away the inflated expectations to see the truth

Where the hype has gone there will be disappointment

Only impatience remains

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Do any of us have any indication yet about how they're going to try and navigate the whole trope of all the characters' thoughts being narrated in the book/being pretty compelling? Lynch Dune had all that hilarious whispering and I don't see them trying again. I guess maybe we'll just get some of it delivered as actual dialogue somehow? Maybe not at all?

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Hahahahaha holy poo poo

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

THAT WAS INCREDIBLE

I loving looooved Eclipse by Pink Floyd playing, my jaw dropped when I recognized it. It's perfect, and the loving worm at the end melted my face.

I'm still processing. Zero complaints at the moment.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I think I need more time with this trailer. I don't want to admit to being underwhelmed? Really did not like the song choice for this (Pink Floyd is overrated to be honest), or the pacing of the trailer. Also, I noticed that December 18th is no longer mentioned as the release date. Denis Villeneuve like a month ago said that post-production editing and reshoots are far from complete and expressed serious doubt about finishing the film on time. Between that, and Warner Brothers seeing that Tenet flopped in theaters, I think this movie is being pushed back in 2021.

lol @ Pink Floyd is overrated TBH just lol

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Starks posted:

Was the guy coming out of the goo stellan skarsgard as baron harkonnen???

Yes! It seems like the Harkonnens are all kind of pale and ghostly looking

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Y'all need to take a deep breath. Did you already forget the reception that the Dune trailer received when it actually dropped? It has like 31 million views on Youtube and counting. People want to see the movie.

edit: that's like more than every view for both James Bond No Time to Die trailers combined

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

It would be pretty cool, and I could honestly see it happening -- if the color palette of the movie shifts over it's runtime

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

It is notoriously difficult to start/get into because of the way he throws you into the jargon and the world. Obviously hasnít stopped millions from reading it but it is nonetheless

I played the Westwood Studios game Dune 2000 when I was a kid, and it had all the art direction from the Lynch movie combined with Command and Conquer gameplay and full motion video briefings with a bunch of the same actors.

I had zero trouble reading Dune after I played that game haha

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

hump day bitches! posted:

He really doesnt become a focal point till the second book.It's not an orthodox approach to adapt the book leaving Feyd outside the first movie.But the second book its really empty compared to the desnsity of things that happen in the first part.Making the second movie about the Harkonnens and their plans for Arrakis and Imperium is a decent choice.

Assuming Part 2 is made, I'd agree with you that this is a great way to do it. Keeping in mind what we know about Part 1, it seems like we're going to see the Harkonnens really wreck poo poo and basically win at the conclusion of the film. I'm super stoked to see them show us all that insane stuff going on with them once they've established what villains they are

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

MLSM posted:

Nolan did the same thing with that awful movie he released last year. They literally want you to die for their personal enrichment.

Watch this on HBOmax instead. Donít be fools.

Have you left the house in the past 6 months? Because reading a post like this leads me to believe maybe you haven't. You're not gonna fuckin die if you go to a movie theater. 80+% of Americans have gotten at least one dose of the covid vaccine. Leave your mask on and sit 6 feet away from other people. It's riskier to ride the bus.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Just saw an advanced screening on IMAX with my cousin. It's an astonishing movie. Honestly I can only nitpick things here and there, and would have not hesitated to sit through another hour of it. Give me a fuckin extended cut, Denis.

They never say the word jihad. Was kind of expecting that, but still slightly disappointing.

I'm going again on Friday. So loving stoked. I'll think of more to post later but at the moment I'm kind of just blown away and overwhelmned.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

I always thought that the Atreides invented ornithopters but it seems like they kind of come with the planet and are optimized for Dune's weather, but everyone seems really comfortable piloting them like they've done it a million times.

I really, really enjoyed the aesthetic of the Atreides technology in this movie. Everything is just massive and looks like giant slabs of concrete that slide around together and shift and fold. The giant ships and the smaller one that Idaho gets out of in his first scene. Goddamn.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

no baron liking young boys

yeah.... gently caress this movie 1/5 stars

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

That's also my literal only complaint about the movie, having seen it twice now -- some of the peripheral characters we all know and love from the books, who got legitimate excellent casting -- they just don't get a lot of time to shine onscreen. Rabban, Piter de Vries, hell even the Baron. I truly hope they make an extended edition like LOTR got and yeah yeah I know the director would like NEVER DO THAT but gently caress that poo poo, use all the hours of footage you shot and give the fans what they want. This movie is for Dune fans. If the second part gets officially greenlit, that would be the SMARTEST way to drum up interest all over again before it comes out

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

I really wanted more Thufir Hawat :(

Him and Gurney are going to feature fairly heavily in Part 2 though, if you know the book ;)

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

I.G. posted:

In the book Leto's shield is down when he's shot by the dartgun. I have no idea why they changed it so that his shield was active in the movie--it just confuses the audience and makes it seem like the shields don't work well.

It's actually a great way to establish in-movie continuity, given that they kind of sidestepped everything about shield/lasgun interactions, and it enables the audience to intuitively grasp whats happening when the Harkonnen start raining drill-bombs onto the grounded Atredies ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, I'm fine with the Baron not being a giant fat ball of gay panic, but he should absolutely be a madman. It's like they gave Skarsgard notes that said "Palpatine, but not the parts where he's enjoying himself." McMillan and Dourif were wonderful, McNiece was a joy. This is like if you made a Batman movie where the Joker was a boring gangster in a purple suit and the Riddler was a boring gangster in a green suit.

Giedi Prime is a polluted hellhole, but the point of the Harkonnens is that the squalor exists to finance a pleasure dome at its center.

I thought another big whiff was making the environments too similar. On Caladan, everyone wears black and it's greige and wet. On Giedi Prime, everyone wears black and it's always raining. On Salusa Secundus, everyone wears white and it's greige and always raining.

(I did like the human sacrifices on Salusa Secundus. A possible reference to The Holy Mountain?

They've said in multiple interviews and such that Col Kurtz from Apocalypse Now was a huge inspiration for how the Baron was supposed to come off. Like.... disassociated and utterly sociopathic. Love it or hate it thats what they were going for I guess. I will say that from what I've learned, MOST of the deleted scenes from the theatrical cut were Harkonnen stuff which could have maybe fleshed these things out better.