Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

TOOT BOOT posted:

SyFy did one 10-20 years ago. It was more faithful to the books than the David Lynch version but the low budget really showed.

One of the things I really appreciated about the series was the nutso couture costumes. It really helped the characters feel relatable but alien at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Groovelord Neato posted:

You don't notice the redone one looks like every other bland comic out there?

Yes, I found it used familiar color language to communicate in ways that my brain interpreted naturally. The other does not.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Miles Teg's only flaw is that he has no flaws.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, Messiah is barely even a novel - more of a connecting story between Dune and Children. It's a good quick read but doesn't function well on its own. Children is a great third act but you can see the wheels coming off the wagon (especially in Alia's bits).

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The_Doctor posted:

How does it have an atmosphere?

This is covered in the books. Extensively.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

holy gently caress they finally got the eyes right

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

As much as I love the SciFi series, Oscar-winning actor William Hurt was utterly wasted and basically slept through the filming.

"Desert...power...Paul...*snore*"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

PeterWeller posted:

Robots being the ultimate enemy is hinted at by Siona's spice vision in God Emperor.

yeah....the robots are not the problem so much as the shoddy worldbuilding, terrible characterization, and incomprehensible plot.