Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Neo Rasa posted:

Also having seen Jodowsky rant about ecology and colonialism first hand, they should unironically get him to play a completely nuts version of Liet Kynes.

This is the best of all ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Xealot posted:

For real. I want this very badly. And I feel like we're owed one, since the universe took David Bowie from us before he could play Niander Wallace in BR2049.

This is another absolute robbery. Leto is easily the worst part of 2049. His role is weird, but he absolutely fails to sell it. I think maybe the contacts were a mistake, but still. And yet, if I imagine dropping Bowie into the same spot and all other things being equal, same dialogue, same shots, etc, it becomes fantastic.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Failson posted:

I am also concerned that the Jodorowsky Dune documentary has set impossible expectations, (also, did anyone grab the film rights for The Incal?)

Pretty sure they can CG in a golden toilet cheap now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's a bad movie but I have a soft spot for Dead or Alive because of the dad trying to be supportive of his daugther while beating the crap out of her.

Agreed on this. It's definitely got some variant of the Mortal Kombat energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNrKqxZuMDo

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Eason the Fifth posted:

The old spice must not flow I guess

Bravo

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

moths posted:

I liked the trailer a lot!

I noticed the trailer line was a crusade is coming, but remember it as a jihad in the book. That might actually resonate better in 2020, since Americans generally believe that terrible religious wars are things other people do.

Which is weird though, because uhhh... Crusades were absolutely a thing and I am not sure that’s a “gentler” word.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Xealot posted:

I assumed that might've happened because Villeneuve makes slow, beautiful movies that lovely general audiences don't respond to. After BR2049, I was shocked they let him make this.

This makes me sad because it is 100% my jam. A four hour cut of 2049 that also somehow manages to excise all of awkward Jared Leto's scenes would be amazing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

They all look like roasted marshmallows at various levels of doneness/char

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The highest-grossing sci-fi movie is about blue cat people who connect their tails together to have sex.

Nuh uh it was their… hair… brain.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Man, part of what really wounds the Lynch movie is the awful, awful sound mix. It's just painful.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I think part of it is that the cost of interplanetary transport of sizable military forces requires both the assistance of third parties and carries an extreme price tag.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jewmanji posted:

Not only the cost I think, I imagine because the Guild monopolizes interstellar travel, it really makes waging total war difficult because the Guild will either refuse to transport you because they don’t want to disrupt the status quo, or they will transport you but you can’t trust that they won’t slip the news to your adversary

Yes. Before the Guild will “permit” you to wage war, you have to more than offset their losses or offer ironclad deniability.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Guild already has functionally unlimited influence and has already basically accomplished all of their objectives.

Why would they want the hassle of running a galactic empire? It doesn’t gain them anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

So we are just dismissing the failson novels where the Butlerian Jihad involved wars against Terminators?