Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

That's probably Thufir Hawat between Paul and Leto in the Atreides group shot. He's visibly older and less fit than all the other men in uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

Nope, I can't unsee the D U N C

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

I don't see anything wrong with these costumes but I do hope members of the imperial court have insanely elaborate costumes (if we see them in this film). They're literally decadent nobility constantly reminding everyone else that they're better than them.

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

Clipperton posted:

I think what's rubbing me the wrong way about the costumes is that they look mass-produced, and mass production seems at odds with the feudal setting - in fact it seems more in line with pre-Jihad "machine thinking" I guess.

The political system is feudal but it's still an advanced society with giant factories on wheels, nuclear weapons, airplanes, spaceships and so on.

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

Clipperton posted:

Sure, but again, I saw them as made by craftsmen in guilds rather than a bunch of guys punching the clock on the ornithopter assembly line. Bespoke nukes :v:

Okay I do like the idea of bespoke nukes :v:

But really it's more all the stuff that's needed to get to the stage of making ornithopters or nuclear weapons or what have you. You can't make metal alloys or enriched uranium in an atelier.

But who knows, maybe they all just buy stuff from the Ixians.

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

Kull wahad!

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

There's also this bit when Leto first appears in the book and he almost gives a standard pep talk to Paul before catching himself:

quote:

The Duke forced himself to the casual gesture, sat down on a corner of the table, smiled. A whole pattern of conversation welled up in his mind -- the kind of thing he might use to dispel the vapors in his men before a battle. The pattern froze before it could be vocalized, confronted by the single thought: This is my son.

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

Dune and Duner

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

david_a posted:

It’s been a while since I read Foundation but I wonder if there are any parallels. The trilogy does predate Dune, so I wonder if it was a reaction to it at all.

Not really in the Foundation trilogy (it's also been a while since I've read them but they don't feature robots or computers IIRC?), but there is something similar in novels like The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun. The space colonies are technologically advanced but it's implied that this results in being overly reliant on their robots and becoming stagnant as a result.

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

do the fremen suck & gently caress a lot in it?

No, it's a few thousand years after Dune and the Fremen are gone. It's the Bene Gesserit who gently caress.

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Depends on the country. I can't think of any European country that did so, but this was a famous tactic in the unification of Japan during the warring states era.

Yeah, that wasn't a thing in Europe because somebody's fief was their personal property and they had armies to back that up (possibly larger than the monarch's own armies, depending on the time and place). Redistributing fiefs like that is only possible in a system where they were handed out to the nobility by a higher authority in the first place (like, you know, a space emperor).

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

Are a good way to be eaten by sandworms.

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

Xealot posted:

Though I guess Jodorowsky really ran with the idea...in his adaptation, wasn't Leto supposed to be a eunuch, and Paul is some miracle baby conceived through blood?

I can believe it, this very thing happens in the Metabarons comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 11, 2005

It's about time.

AnEdgelord posted:

Paul says hes not the Kwisatz Haderach and talks about coming a generation early at around the midpoint of the book but once he undergoes the spice agony toward the end he does explicitly say he is the . Presumably he only felt it was accurate after undergoing the spice agony.

I also saw it as meaning he is not what the BG want the Kwisatz Haderach to be.