Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Cacator posted:

If we're basing our Dune opinions on The King then Robert Pattison should play Feyd.
And keep the accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm gonna start reading Children of Dune, oh boy! I can't wait to read the further character development of Alia, one of my favorite characters!

Oh.

Oh no.

Oh, Frank, why??

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

David D. Davidson posted:

Hell, he was calling her Alia the Kinfe back in the first book, ehat did you expect?

That it was a sick nickname.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

deoju posted:

Oh, I'm kinda relieved by that actually.

I was afraid it was 'dirty old man writes a tweenage girl to be overly sexual' cringey poo poo.

The Baron, while possessing her, convinces/makes her sleep with some guys to have them work for her. Before this, it's said that she's loving up the ecosystem of Dune (this is Paul's fault to be fair) and kind of a poo poo ruler as well.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Just read about how The Dune Encyclopedia is kept out of print by Herbert's failson because it contradicts his fanfiction. What a dick.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TerminalSaint posted:

It's also easy to forget that while the deep desert may contain nothing other than rocks, sand, and worms, Arrakis is home to a variety of flora and fauna elsewhere.

Yup. Including cute little bats the Fremen use as messengers. Bat-mail, if you will.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm reading God Emperor of Dune and man oh man did Herbert got some things to say. Leto II sounds like a redditor.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/status/1444154199978119173

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

God Emperor Of Dune: In this one, Idaho sucks.
I may be misremembering something from Children, but why would Leto II care so much about Duncan? It's not like he had a relationship with him like Paul did. Stilgar being constantly ghola'd would make more sense for him.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Isn't it allso because prescient people can't see the future of other prescients once these last ones get turbo high? Like how Leto II couldn't see Siona after the point when she had to take the spice from his flap-water? Or am I misremembering?

Also, saw the movie. DUNC good. Wish we had more time with Yueh, since in the books his betrayal is really heartbreaking, especially what with his relationship to Jessica and Paul.

Wish we had more Piter as well. I like Dastmalchian and I think he woul've made the part really fun.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Movie stuff: I got the impression that they made Gurney more of a poet than a bard/singer. When they arrive in Dune, he's reading a little book and then recites a stanza, instead of singing. The same on the tactical meeting attended by Paul after the hunter-seeker.

I know Paul says to him "sing us a song, old man" in the training scene, but that's all. No baliset, or anything.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Torquemada posted:

That’s the Orange Catholic Bible mentioned extensively in the novel, he quotes from it regularly.

I thought it was the OCB at first too, but I forgot if the book mentioned Gurney reading it. It's been a minute since I read Dune and Messiah.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Idk I think "bored and jaded saudi prince" is a valid way to portray the Baron

If that was the case, we should've seen his steam page.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lol I love that it's just a Chapman Stick, it would be some prog nerd poo poo.

The wheel thing in the body also made me think of a Hurly Gurly. Hurly Gurly. Gurney. I hope that was a little joke by the prop team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

If they cut the coffee set scenes I will boycott this movie.