Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Just watched this movie. Never read book, never saw any other versions. Amazing visuals and sounds. Old school pacing could definitely have been sped up without sacrificing anything. I felt like they were stretching out a short story to be honest, even though I know Dune is a dense book, it didn't feel like that. Either that's a testament to getting the points across visually and with as little dialogue as possible, like an old school movie, or they cut A LOT and maybe I lost out because of that. I'm a sci-fi fan and was getting bored about a third into it, and that never changed although the intense scenes did reel me back in, my gf was complaining the whole time, but she has 0 patience for movies and is not a sci-fi fan, so that was to be expected.

I am looking forward to the 2nd movie but I will probably never re-watch this. I am curious to read the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

It is definitely an "old school movie" and I'm not sure why that phrase even exists because it is entirely synonymous with "good"

I'm not as avid a movie goer as I used to be ,as I said my partner has no patience, so my viewing has gone WAY down. I'm also not even close to a critic, but I am referring to the pacing. Other "old school movies" that are not "good" in my opinion because they take so long would be "No Country for Old Men" or "There will be Blood."

On the flip side I liked "A History of Violence" and "A Most Violent Year" and I didn't realize how similar those titles were till just now when I was thinking of other slower burns that I enjoyed.

I think there is definitely a better term to use, I just can't think of one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Slower pacing and not desperately trying to keep the audience's attention with quips, probably.

And for horror movies relying on constant jump scares!

Eason the Fifth posted:

You nailed it with the comment about the visual language but also about how much exposition they cut out. Dune is a pretty great book, I'd recommend reading it for all the reasons everyone else says, but also specifically I think you'd like it because you can see what Villeneue did with such dense material (which will probably make you appreciate the movie more).

I think I will try to carve some time between now and Part two to give it a read!

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 22, 2022