Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

IIRC in the books they go out of the way to mention that even Emperor Shaddam IV wears a slightly fancier version of the Sardaukar uniform instead of fancy finery so maybe this combination of "I'm just one of the people"/naked display of force just caught on with other houses.

The only design failure of the Lynch production (just counting elements from the book) was the Sardaukar's "environmental suit" look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

QED

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Books five and six are interesting disasters, which is more than I can say for anything his son wrote, but they both leak Frank Herbert's weird libertarian politics even worse than the first four and they're basically the first two entries in a trilogy that was never finished by anyone competent.

I got 2 and a half books through the Legends trilogy and realized that I no longer cared where it was going so just returned Corrin to the library despite the water under the bridge.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

I can appreciate the hearty lols that came out of Lynch's version and I mean no disrespect to anyone who unironically likes that movie, but I have to tell you guys, im with the folks who think that the further this strays from the 84 edition, including the costuming, the better

Gonna get kanly'd for this for sure

I unironically like that movie and I don't take any offense, but it really does raise the question of how to translate a sci fi epic first into screenplay and second into a film. The SyFy miniseries was for all purposes more loyal to the books and had more time to follow the details, but IMO was far more boring because of it. The movie for me really set a mood, hit some memorable direct quotes. and nailed alot of characterization in a very condensed amount of time.

Rag on "weirding modules" all you want, but they are an attempt at making a short-hand for something difficult to express in two hours (i.e. a long drawn out fremen insurgency). They create a mechanism that is visually dynamic that can easily explain a win in one big third-act battle.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I cannot imagine 80's Hollywood being able to choreograph or convincingly sell military-supremacy-through-desert-woo-knife-fighting.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

It really is a shame Momoa will only get to play Idaho prime.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Yeah making movie 1 the fall of house Atreides up to maybe Paul and Jessica escaping into the desert lines up with both very-little worm interaction as well as the little-to-no Chani that we've heard about.

There is plenty of room in there for a full movie, including stuff like a big Duncan Idaho fight scene that was both displaced and very abbreviated in the Lynch version.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Looking at that Momoa still, making both sides matte grey/black tactical armor - especially for a combat scene - doesn't speak well for costume design. Sure that body armor looks cool in stills, but if both are samey in-motion then that Idaho fight is going to be an unreadable mess. At least for Lynch you had Sardaukar with the baggy hazmat silouette and bright green face plate contrasted against the form-fitting and maskless design of the stilsuits.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

phasmid posted:

Also I don't really like the idea of having named characters take the role of background chars. They do that poo poo in Star Wars all the time. The universe is gigantic (even in the fuuutuuuuure) but somehow everybody knows everybody and have stories about hanging out with them. Everybody has Boba Fett on speed dial. Everyone's got a story of being held in an Imperial jail. Everybody goes to the Hutt's 4th of Julyabooba parties. It makes the universe seem smaller, not bigger.

It would be one thing if it were coincidental but letting writers and directors take the easy way out is p much how you get everybody getting advice from Melisandre or Dexxter Jettster.

Hear hear!

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Better for the alien thread, but if you don't re-evaluate Covenant post-COVID you are doing yourself a disservice.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Don't forget that there are plenty of people that get all unironically "oorah" over Starship Troopers both in book and in movie form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh okay glad it sounds like that to you.

The first book also has two navigators disguising themselves as guards by wearing contact lenses. You know, these guys:

I'm hazy about the details - wasn't there a whole levelling hierarchy to navigators, with the spice gas entombed ones at the top? Or was that a Lynchism?