Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh, totally, and we definitely do get a fair shake of HEY LOIS stuff -- it's just delivered quickly and woven much more into the plot for the most part than just being hit in the face with RANDOM JOKE :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

My Second Re-Reg posted:

100% same, and I'm looking forward to what SNW accomplishes past season one (which was already a drat good season by most metrics). But while I think both shows have had some wobbly writing from time to time, SNW has tried to hit me while LDS actually did.

As I understand it, SNW will have some interaction with characters from LD in its Season 2.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Everyone posted:

As I understand it, SNW will have some interaction with characters from LD in its Season 2.

Yes, McQuaid and Newsome said during Comic-Con that there is a Lower Decks / SNW crossover.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Timby posted:

McQuaid

Oh no a transporter accident got Jacks Quaid and McBrayer? :ohdear:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPColin posted:

Oh no a transporter accident got Jacks Quaid and McBrayer? :ohdear:

My bad, but y'all know what I meant. :suicide:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

I think it's safe to say that the producers of Picard S2 do give a poo poo about Star Trek, they just weren't very good at it.

Sorta like Chris Chibnall over at Doctor Who.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gently caress now all I want is a McBrayer Kenneth-esque ensign on the Cerritos.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Mirror Badgey

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://trekmovie.com/2022/08/08/lower-decks-season-3-features-bold-boimler-emotional-mariner-and-another-star-trek-movie-parody/

quote:

Tawny Newsome: I’m a lifelong Trekkie. The Enterprise is a real place to me and my brain. So being on that set was magical… I want to apologize to the cast and crew and showrunners of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds because I broke so many things. Because in my mind, every slider, every button… they’re real. It’s a real place. So everything I saw I would touch, I would press, I would slide… [I broke] something on the captain’s chair… I pulled a panel off the wall in the transporter bay.

[…]

Tawny Newsome: Jack and I get to be in live action. We get to be Mariner and Boimler in our human bodies… I also broke a lot of things on the set of the Enterprise. How many things that I break?

Jack Quaid: You broke… I’m going to say seven things.

Tawny Newsome: So I apologize. But it was really fun and yes, Jack will have purple hair.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is going to be so good.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I hope we get a look at the live action Cerritos. Seeing it with proper proportions and all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I believe the current season 2 3D model is meant to be physically accurate, it'd just be textured and more detailed for live action...

Personally the only particularly cartoony proportions, aside from the overall layout, is the big chunky nacelles, and they said in an interview at one point that that was deliberate because of all the engineering interconnects and lift shafts and things. The season 2 model cleanup did a fair bit of minor adjusting, though, especially on the saucer underside.

And it can become a bit more cartoony in shots where they do a 2D paintover instead of direct 3D render too. Which they do do a fair bit, surprisingly often the ships on-screen are just static 2D images moving/scaling relative to each other with no 3D rotation.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 9, 2022

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
LDS has an initial "This looks like rick and morty is it going to be rick and morty poo poo? gently caress gently caress gently caress" thing to get over.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

apatheticman posted:

LDS has an initial "This looks like rick and morty is it going to be rick and morty poo poo? gently caress gently caress gently caress" thing to get over.

Honestly this more than anything was my initial fear going in

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I do hope they don't go LDS-zany for the SNW crossover. From the interview though it sounds like both actors would be totally on-board for "play your characters as they are but not primarily for laughs" and I think they both have the acting chops to pull it off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well Tawny Newsome is a bundle of hyperactive energy in real life anyway, I'm sure she can bring a lot of the Mariner energy without it feeling unfitting to the live action.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

She is literally Mariner IRL :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

apatheticman posted:

I can recall watching the first half of ep1 and thinking it absolutely sucked. Then I saw a ton of people here and elsewhere saying "it sucked at first but actually it's really good" and you know what, they were right. It might not even suck at first, I haven't gone back to check

Also I like Jack Quaid, I hope he's not a sex creep or sex cultist or sex weirdo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Love or hate Rick & Morty at least the studio behind it knows how to draw people and interesting weird junk, and don't have some weird mandate to make everyone as ugly as possible. I'm thankfully failing to conjure any specific names but for ten years felt like there was a nonstop trend to make adult animation hideous.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

As someone else posted earlier, Mariner seems way over hyperactive at first, and then when you get used to it you go back and it is fine. And Boimler was a bit too much of a kiss rear end as well. But after those characters gained some depth, they didn't feel as grating anymore.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah Boimler's initial butt-monkey state is actually satisfying to watch once you've seen that the character grows and gains confidence as well as becoming actually very competent (while still retaining his essential Boimler-ness). Being aware these are just the starting states changes the way you see them.

I do hope they're able to apply a similar level of development to Tendi and Rutherford as well in future, they've had a bit of growth but so far they've been a lot more static. (although they didn't start in the same kind of unhealthy needing-growth state as the main two)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 9, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My hope with the crossover is that you see it from both sides in LD and SNW.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The only thing I find disappointing is that it won't have Rutherford and Tendi. People in the SNW timeframe seeing an Orion Starfleet officer would be pretty good I think.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think it's gonna be an actual time travel or equal contrivance vs. a holodeck experience, so my guess would be "anybody showing up here needs to look like they belong," but IMO that could have led to a humorous "Worf's bandana in Trials & Tribblations" situation where they just change her skin color to look human

also IMO Tendi and Rutherfords' voice actors could more-or-less pass as the characters, so yeah, bit of a bummer

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Eugene Cordero is an absolute treasure. He's great in The Good Place, Loki, and Tacoma FD. And while there are some similarities in his characters, he doesn't really seem typecast and the biggest common thread among them is his relatively distinct voice.

e: I just realized I have no idea where I will be able to watch Tacoma FD now that HBO Max is being lit on fire and flushed down the toilet. :pirate: time I guess.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think it's gonna be an actual time travel or equal contrivance vs. a holodeck experience, so my guess would be "anybody showing up here needs to look like they belong," but IMO that could have led to a humorous "Worf's bandana in Trials & Tribblations" situation where they just change her skin color to look human

also IMO Tendi and Rutherfords' voice actors could more-or-less pass as the characters, so yeah, bit of a bummer

Which already happened but in reverse. :argh:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah he's surprisingly touching in Good Place

It's weird that he seems to be absent from a lot of the press/promos for this season

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah he's surprisingly touching in Good Place

It's weird that he seems to be absent from a lot of the press/promos for this season

Exactly, that could have been such a one note character, but he really brought a lot of charm and sweetness to the role. Ended up in a great place (heh) as well.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

Exactly, that could have been such a one note character, but he really brought a lot of charm and sweetness to the role. Ended up in a great place (heh) as well.

not to derail Trek talk too much but that entire group of Jason/Pillboi/Donkey Doug could very easily have been treated as one-note punchlines the whole series and the whole thing ended up being one of the most emotional arcs on the show

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Other than the breathless pace of the first few episodes, I didn't have any problem with them; the weakest episode of the first season is probably the one with Fletcher, since I didn't care for the character and the whole subplot had all of manic energy of those early episodes but without a lot of the humor.

I finished Season 2, and that back half was just excellent all the way through. One of the things I appreciate about the show, particularly as it develops its voice more in S2, is that it can flip between "Star Trek themed comedy" and "light hearted Star Trek show" and do them both well. Episodes like the season finale could basically be episodes of any other Trek show, just longer and with fewer jokes, but then there's purely comedic ones like "I, Excretus" and "We'll Always Have Tom Paris" that work just as well. It's a good balance, recognizing that it's at heart a comedy while still being able to tell stories with legitimate stakes when needed.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Professor Beetus posted:

Eugene Cordero is an absolute treasure. He's great in The Good Place, Loki, and Tacoma FD. And while there are some similarities in his characters, he doesn't really seem typecast and the biggest common thread among them is his relatively distinct voice.

e: I just realized I have no idea where I will be able to watch Tacoma FD now that HBO Max is being lit on fire and flushed down the toilet. :pirate: time I guess.

Another Tacoma FD fan! There are dozens of us, Dozens!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Other than the breathless pace of the first few episodes, I didn't have any problem with them; the weakest episode of the first season is probably the one with Fletcher, since I didn't care for the character and the whole subplot had all of manic energy of those early episodes but without a lot of the humor.

I finished Season 2, and that back half was just excellent all the way through. One of the things I appreciate about the show, particularly as it develops its voice more in S2, is that it can flip between "Star Trek themed comedy" and "light hearted Star Trek show" and do them both well. Episodes like the season finale could basically be episodes of any other Trek show, just longer and with fewer jokes, but then there's purely comedic ones like "I, Excretus" and "We'll Always Have Tom Paris" that work just as well. It's a good balance, recognizing that it's at heart a comedy while still being able to tell stories with legitimate stakes when needed.

Hell they manage the best Trek action scene in...a long time with s2 ep9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4INYglEexzQ

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Snow Cone Capone posted:

not to derail Trek talk too much but that entire group of Jason/Pillboi/Donkey Doug could very easily have been treated as one-note punchlines the whole series and the whole thing ended up being one of the most emotional arcs on the show

I just realized one of the nice similarities of LD and The Good Place is how they usually never drag jokes out to the point where they are unfunny, and they also move the plot along at a decently quick pace without bogging themselves down in bullshit that requires the main characters to suddenly be incompetent. So many shows do both of those things constantly and it makes them hard to watch.

Burning_Monk posted:

Another Tacoma FD fan! There are dozens of us, Dozens!

:hmmyes: It's also similar to Lower Decks in that it looks like it could be extremely stupid (and tbf it often is) but it still has great characters and a solid emotional core.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 9, 2022

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Eimi posted:

Hell they manage the best Trek action scene in...a long time with s2 ep9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4INYglEexzQ

Man I think I hyped-out-loud at this scene more than I did for the Titan appearance

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I will admit to being mildly disappointed that the season 1 finale of SNW did not feature Will Riker swooping in to save the day after Picard and LD season 1 both did it. No I don't care that it would make zero sense.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I will admit to being mildly disappointed that the season 1 finale of SNW did not feature Will Riker swooping in to save the day somehow after Picard and LD season 1 both did it. No I don't care that it would make zero sense.

He did in my mind. It wasn't Kirk arriving with the mining ships, it was Riker.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

He did in my mind. It wasn't Kirk arriving with the mining ships, it was Riker.

https://i.imgur.com/6VI0HYm.mp4

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
aaugh riker before the beard and before the bod

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I believe the current season 2 3D model is meant to be physically accurate, it'd just be textured and more detailed for live action...

Personally the only particularly cartoony proportions, aside from the overall layout, is the big chunky nacelles, and they said in an interview at one point that that was deliberate because of all the engineering interconnects and lift shafts and things. The season 2 model cleanup did a fair bit of minor adjusting, though, especially on the saucer underside.

And it can become a bit more cartoony in shots where they do a 2D paintover instead of direct 3D render too. Which they do do a fair bit, surprisingly often the ships on-screen are just static 2D images moving/scaling relative to each other with no 3D rotation.

The effects head honcho guy said they make an effort to keep the ship looking like a cartoon, so they overdo the lighting effects and exaggerate some things