Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think Bob Odenkirk could do a decent job as Q, although he may skew a bit too “Everyman” to pull off that specific brand of smug omnipotence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They could just use John De Lancie

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

SimonChris posted:

From the RedLetterMedia thread. This is unironically better than most modern Star Trek. They should get this guy to play Picard instead of Patrick Stewart.

"Run LaForge-Brahms-3" loving lol.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Oh bollocks Voyager was the last thing Keegan De Lancie did, according to imdb.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 25, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Oh bollocks Voyager was the last thing he did, according to imdb.

Epitaphs are weird now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think Bob Odenkirk could do a decent job as Q, although he may skew a bit too “Everyman” to pull off that specific brand of smug omnipotence.

Ohhhh good call. Even better if they have him pretend to be a harmless schmuck whose ship broke down or whatever at first. I could see it. In a better show.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Sounds like he works for the UN and has no interest in acting from some interview I found.

I mean if I saw Picard or Disco I'd probably have no interest in acting either.

If we're being serious, I think Alan Tudyk would make a great Q.

If we're being less serious, I'd unironically love to see a Danny DeVito Q.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 25, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

From the RedLetterMedia thread. This is unironically better than most modern Star Trek. They should get this guy to play Picard instead of Patrick Stewart.

I tracked down the full version, and it is even better because they have extra dialogue in the sex scenes.

Troi tells Riker she won't kiss him until he shaves his beard off, to which he sardonically replies: "It's gonna be a while." Then they gently caress without kissing.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Wife and I have just started The Expanse and hell...... I know its more BSG than Star Trek, but it is what Picard and the Nu-Trek people seem to be going for and my word does it ever shine a spotlight on their failures.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Expanse is neat because when the book series started it was a dystopia and now it looks like a pretty good outcome.

Yes Earth is an overpopulated slum but it succeeds in providing subsistence levels of food energy and shelter by exploiting off world resources.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The expanse is a superior series for a number of reasons

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Expanse is cool because they filmed a bunch of scenes at my favourite ramen chain in Toronto.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

The Expanse is cool because they filmed a bunch of scenes at my favourite ramen chain in Toronto.

It's also cool for other reasons

That's neat, though

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Martytoof posted:

kinton?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Expanse is literally someone's homemade PnP RPG campaign and it works right up until midway through the third season, at which point the central plot thread that's been keeping the action going is resolved, and the show has to contrive hard to explain why any of the characters are where they are or why anyone watching should care.

Season 4 is an absolute mess where the themes completely fall apart and you watch Holden's player make a series of difficulty checks and another player's character got split from the party so you are forced to watch their pointless side adventure.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I hope they'll get back on the pavement with season 5.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Alchenar posted:

The Expanse is literally someone's homemade PnP RPG campaign and it works right up until midway through the third season, at which point the central plot thread that's been keeping the action going is resolved, and the show has to contrive hard to explain why any of the characters are where they are or why anyone watching should care.

Season 4 is an absolute mess where the themes completely fall apart and you watch Holden's player make a series of difficulty checks and another player's character got split from the party so you are forced to watch their pointless side adventure.

I thought the book fan consensus was that the book S4 adapted is one of the weakest and it's uphill from here again.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I thought season 4 wasn't as good as the last one but still pretty good, but then I don't play RPGs so the similarities don't jump out at me

a "bad" season of The Expanse is still better than 90% of poo poo out there right now

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Season 4 really suffered from taking place on a single planet that I don’t think anyone really gave a poo poo about. I know cg ship stuff is expensive, but gently caress man you’re on that amazon bank account now just loving spend it. Bezos won’t even realize you’ve gone over budget.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I'm seeing Roy Thomson Hall a lot on Amazon these days.

And by a lot I mean on the two shows I've actually watched there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yep!

The show lost my interest after a season or two but it was a cool little bit of trivia that I wouldn’t shut up about to anyone who would listen. Hey look, including this thread, now :haw:

Simiain posted:

I'm seeing Roy Thomson Hall a lot on Amazon these days.

And by a lot I mean on the two shows I've actually watched there.

I think the last thing I maybe saw it on was Caprica? But yeah, it’s everywhere. I think it replaced the Toronto city hall as far as “dumb future buildings on TV” go.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Martytoof posted:

I think the last thing I maybe saw it on was Caprica? But yeah, it’s everywhere. I think it replaced the Toronto city hall as far as “dumb future buildings on TV” go.

but city hall already has a space ship built in to the middle!!!!! what could be more futuristic than that?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I ain't got much to contribute for toronto sci-fi locations so I'll just give one of an episode I have not and possibly will never see, an episode of star trek discovery that uses the aga khan museum as some sort of vulcan location:

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/922305719629643776

I like it, it's a nice museum, it's pretty, and it makes a nice futuristic location. from looking at those screencaps I think the only thing they did to make it futuristic is make the trees red and throw in some buildings in the background. now that's a forward thinking building.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I looked up Roy Thomson Hall and it seems familiar. Was that used in Fringe?

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

It was the base of the Vought tower in The Boys, and I (think I) recognized it from the inside during the first couple of episodes of the first season of The Expanse.

Edit: If we're flexin Toronto locations, they filmed some of the Handmaids Tale in the hotel I worked out down there. I met a few mid-tier sci-fi celebs working there.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Season 4 really suffered from taking place on a single planet that I don’t think anyone really gave a poo poo about. I know cg ship stuff is expensive, but gently caress man you’re on that amazon bank account now just loving spend it. Bezos won’t even realize you’ve gone over budget.

That's a consequence of the book they were adapting. Things definitely should improve with season 5 onwards when it gets back into big scale space politics with Holden's crew stuck in the middle.

Though there's one book (six?) that's going to be a bit awkward to adapt as the entire premise of the book is the Rocinante's crew being scattered all over the system for a while.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

piratepilates posted:

I ain't got much to contribute for toronto sci-fi locations so I'll just give one of an episode I have not and possibly will never see, an episode of star trek discovery that uses the aga khan museum as some sort of vulcan location:

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/922305719629643776

I like it, it's a nice museum, it's pretty, and it makes a nice futuristic location. from looking at those screencaps I think the only thing they did to make it futuristic is make the trees red and throw in some buildings in the background. now that's a forward thinking building.

One of those locations that would be improved by some food carts and foot traffic or something. It looks like the forecourt and entrance of a mausoleum.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Still can't get over how Kurtzman said "it's a story about emotion and when life doesn't turn out how you hoped." As if emotions and unexpected events were accomplishments instead of features virtually every story has. It's like a chef saying "the theme of this dish is smells." And of course it's really just revealing why the show is empty melodrama and spectacle

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s also a story about suicide and pulling someone’s eye out of their head

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But really, what story isn't.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'd take immortality any day of the week, though I'd want it turned off by the time the seas start boiling, and it seems typical of these stories that characters reject it when offered more often than not as part of a statement on the part of the author. Yeah, it's sad to outlive other people, but nearly everybody outlives their parents anyway. Life not being any less meaningful just because it's short applies in the opposite direction toward longevity.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

galenanorth posted:

I'd take immortality any day of the week, though I'd want it turned off by the time the seas start boiling, and it seems typical of these stories that characters reject it when offered more often than not as part of a statement on the part of the author. Yeah, it's sad to outlive other people, but nearly everybody outlives their parents anyway. Life not being any less meaningful just because it's short applies in the opposite direction toward longevity.

I think The Good Place is the only show I've seen that actually had a good take on "maybe living literally forever wouldn't be ideal" because they didn't have the characters go "no, anything more than the 60-100 years we currently expect is unnatural and bad".

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Thom12255 posted:

I thought the book fan consensus was that the book S4 adapted is one of the weakest and it's uphill from here again.
I've heard the same thing from multiple book-reading sources. Apparently "if they adapt S5 it's going to take a lot of budget." So... looking forward to S5!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finally got to the part of Voyager where Icheb shows up and welp, nice knowing 'ya, kid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Martytoof posted:

Finally got to the part of Voyager where Icheb shows up and welp, nice knowing 'ya, kid.
I would say they did him dirty but the actor that played him is a shithead so maybe not

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tiggum posted:

I think The Good Place is the only show I've seen that actually had a good take on "maybe living literally forever wouldn't be ideal" because they didn't have the characters go "no, anything more than the 60-100 years we currently expect is unnatural and bad".

The argument is fundamentally meaningless because it posits a human that lives forever, when the reality is any version of us that has changed to the degree it could live forever is no longer meaningfully human. Why pretend it'd be subject to any of our limitations?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would say they did him dirty but the actor that played him is a shithead so maybe not

Oh yeah, I forgot he was a dickbag.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Mulva posted:

The argument is fundamentally meaningless because it posits a human that lives forever, when the reality is any version of us that has changed to the degree it could live forever is no longer meaningfully human. Why pretend it'd be subject to any of our limitations?

How would we no longer be meaningfully human just because we didn't age? Also for the record it's impossible to live forever in the literal sense so I'm assuming when we say forever here we just mean indefinitely or really long time

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jewel Repetition posted:

How would we no longer be meaningfully human just because we didn't age? Also for the record it's impossible to live forever in the literal sense so I'm assuming when we say forever here we just mean indefinitely or really long time

Even with an infinite life span there will be accidents and disease and other bad luck

A million years may as well be forever, though, let alone the entire lifespan of the universe (which we may also figure out how to escape if we really lived another million years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mulva posted:

The usual suspects of immortality would mostly be pretty standard Ship of Theseus arguments (if I transfer my consciousness to a machine body/vat-grown clones/etc. type stuff), but you'd also have to have a fairly narrow definition of "meaningfully human."

OTOH, let's say, for example, that the Cellular Regeneration and Entertainment Chamber from the DS9 episode In The Cards had actually worked. You're extending the lifespan of your own cells, or whatever. I think in a situation like that you'd still be meaningfully human by almost any definition (except I guess the ones who say humanity is defined by the ever-present specter of death :spooky:)