Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They're TNG-style but with the TOS movie flaps. I like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If anything they look like the scrapped Generations uniform design.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Phylodox posted:

Not to be a complete dorkus, but don’t the uniforms place them at a pre-Voyager point in the timeline?

The show takes place in 2380, two years after Voyager returns to earth.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Something tells me Kate Mulgrew would love hamming it up in a VA role as a parody of Janeway in a Trek comedy.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Astroman posted:

Something tells me Kate Mulgrew would love hamming it up in a VA role as a parody of Janeway in a Trek comedy.

Admiral Yawenaj

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Astroman posted:

she fuckin' kills it in NTSF:SD:SUV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrQDLRM-jG0

"i'll be roughing up witnesses :black101:"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If they bring back Janeway they have to bring back Harry and somehow have him still being an ensign.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

If they bring back Janeway they have to bring back Harry and somehow have him still being an ensign.

I was gonna suggest the opposite - bring in Captain Harry Kim and have him just totally be lording it over the lowers. Gone full smug.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Where TOS had the redshirts, Voyager had Harry as the Reusable Ensign.

All other ensigns in Voyager would die the episode they were introduced, Harry was the only one that could be reused for multiple episodes. Of course they wouldn't promote someone that valuable.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I enjoyed the first episode, It's a nice change from the lovely gritty trek we've been getting lately. I hope it keeps it up.

This might be the best trek thing we've had since the end of DS9 which is kind of sad.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Grand Fromage posted:

They're TNG-style but with the TOS movie flaps. I like them.

imo they'd have fit perfectly a in the design timeline about a decade before TNG, but that would have limited the series' ability to reference anything that happened in 90's Trek.

But yeah Starfleet goes through like at least 4 different uniforms in the 20 years between Nemesis and Picard, I guess:

-TNG Film/Late DS9 uniform
-LDS uniform
-Picard flashback uniform (that Rios had stashed in his locker, that Picard and Raffi wore in the flashback scenes to his resignation) that looked a little Star Trek Online-y
-Modern Picard uniform (that is basically just a Voyager uniform with a TNG collar)
-The All Good Things/Endgame uniform is apparently truly Alternate Reality and was forgotten, which was fine because it was uggo despite having the best commbadge, which PIC at least gave a nod to

Sounds dumb but when you think about it, the same thing happened in the TNG era over an even shorter 10 years. But at least all of the uniforms below had a coherent lineage that progressed from one generation to another. With the new ones, it feels like the Chief Fashion Officer is never sure exactly whether they want to evolve on a concept or revisit/mishmash old ones.

-Early TNG spandex
-Regular TNG
-Early DS9/Voyager
-TNG Film/Late DS9

anyway this was a lot of words about Trek fashion, don't forget to like and subscribe and ring that bell below for mo---

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 11, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

imo they'd have fit perfectly a in the design timeline about a decade before TNG, but that would have limited the series' ability to reference anything that happened in 90's Trek.

But yeah Starfleet goes through like at least 4 different uniforms in the 20 years between Nemesis and Picard, I guess:

-TNG Film/Late DS9 uniform
-LDS uniform
-Picard flashback uniform (that Rios had stashed in his locker, that Picard and Raffi wore in the flashback scenes to his resignation) that looked a little Star Trek Online-y
-Modern Picard uniform (that is basically just a Voyager uniform with a TNG collar)
-The All Good Things/Endgame uniform is apparently truly Alternate Reality and was forgotten, which was fine because it was uggo despite having the best commbadge, which PIC at least gave a nod to

Sounds dumb but when you think about it, the same thing happened in the TNG era over an even shorter 10 years. But at least all of the uniforms below had a coherent lineage that progressed from one generation to another. With the new ones, it feels like the Chief Fashion Officer is never sure exactly whether they want to evolve on a concept or revisit/mishmash old ones.

-Early TNG spandex
-Regular TNG
-Early DS9/Voyager
-TNG Film/Late DS9

anyway this was a lot of words about Trek fashion, don't forget to like and subscribe and ring that bell below for mo---

Of all of those, the Picard flashback uniforms had the best design. They look at little cheap up close in HD, but then again all Trek unifroms do, I find. Something about the modern Picard uniforms just didn't click for me. I think it was the weird sternum indent on the coloured shoulder pieces. But the flashback ones looked really nice. I'd take a whole show with that style if they wanted to make one set between Nemesis and Picard.

Astroman posted:

I wish they'd gotten her back as Starfleet CIC for Picard like they'd originally planned. Janeway telling Picard to gently caress off would have been amazing and made nerd heads explode over it even harder.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Taear posted:

While these things are part of America I'd call it western rather than just american. They're themes of the modern capitalist nation instead of just American stuff. I guess making this a comedy is already going to move it further away from that general cultural appeal but the new ones all feel more American than previous ones.

DS9 was American as gently caress. Baseball and root beer as far as the eye can see.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

iirc, when Voyager made contact with Starfleet, there was an episode where the crewmembers finally talk to their families. The first thing Kim's mom does is ask why he's still an ensign. One of the rare good Voyager episodes.

It was the one where the Doctor makes his holoplay about being a slave.

nine-gear crow posted:

Of all of those, the Picard flashback uniforms had the best design. They look at little cheap up close in HD, but then again all Trek unifroms do, I find. Something about the modern Picard uniforms just didn't click for me. I think it was the weird sternum indent on the coloured shoulder pieces. But the flashback ones looked really nice. I'd take a whole show with that style if they wanted to make one set between Nemesis and Picard.

Back when the season was airing, one of the producers (or maybe costume designers, I don't remember) said that was their intent. They wanted the flashback uniforms to look more dignified and classy, and for the modern ones to be off-putting and harsh and angular. I don't think they actually said it was supposed to be a metaphor for the changing nature of Starfleet, but reading between the lines it would be hard to see things any other way.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Idk the post-nemesis uniforms seem pretty consistent to me, you have a stylistic return to the pre-dominion war aesthetic of black shoulders + colored body with Lower Decks, but everything after that we see is within the same general silhouette of colored shoulders + black body, just with different cuts and detailing. They all even have high collars.

also that one ensign on greeter duty at starfleet command in Picard desperately, desperately needed to starch his collars more aggressively

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Which is weird because the modern ones look fine, if a little generic, but the old ones look weird and overly fussy. Those sleeve cuffs are godawful.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Which is weird because the modern ones look fine, if a little generic, but the old ones look weird and overly fussy. Those sleeve cuffs are godawful.

I think only Picard's uniform had the fussy cuffs, which makes sense because he's an admiral at the time and starfleet admirals always had fussy bullshit on their uniforms. I'm pretty sure Raffi's had the standard branch color band.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nope! Everyone had them!

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 11, 2020

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The_Doctor posted:

Nope! Everyone had them!

these look good

i mean, other than being completely ill fitting lol

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I don't like the flared sleeves, what are they elves?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

The_Doctor posted:

Nope! Everyone had them!

You sure those aren’t dress uniforms?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I miss the First Contact uniforms. :shrug:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/star-trek-picard-reportedly-lost-audience-season-1/

trash show confused when it loses its audience

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

WGTC is a clickbait site that makes poo poo up wholesale. They even cite themselves as a source in that article.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Phylodox posted:

I miss the First Contact uniforms. :shrug:
Same, they are probably my favorite in all of Trek

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Drone posted:

-Early TNG spandex
-Regular TNG
-Early DS9/Voyager
-TNG Film/Late DS9

Just to complicate things a little more, the regular TNG and early DS9/VGR uniforms were both being used at the same time. Aside from TNG and DS9 running at the same time, the old FMV game Star Trek: Borg is set on another Federation ship during the events of "Best of Both Worlds, Part II" and everyone's wearing DS9 uniforms, though you can argue against the canonicity of that game pretty easily.

Of course, the real question is why Starfleet is suddenly changing their uniforms every 5-10 years when they used to be content wearing the old TWOK uniforms for upwards of eight decades.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Marshal Radisic posted:

Of course, the real question is why Starfleet is suddenly changing their uniforms every 5-10 years when they used to be content wearing the old TWOK uniforms for upwards of eight decades.

It's because the TWOK uniforms owned.

The overlap between the TNG and DS9/Voyager style, where people were kinda wearing both types (see: Generations) is actually reasonably realistic to how real-world militaries do it, right? Kinda hard to instantly change over from one uniform to another.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

The overlap between the TNG and DS9/Voyager style, where people were kinda wearing both types (see: Generations) is actually reasonably realistic to how real-world militaries do it, right? Kinda hard to instantly change over from one uniform to another.

I mean it really isn't when you are on a starship with replicators. The Chief Fashion Officer just does a push update to all the ships that when the crew says "uniform" to the replicator it makes version 97.5 instead of 97.4

There are massive real world practical reasons obviously, and that's all its ever really been

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Drone posted:

Oh, I don't disagree; I just wish they'd kept the turtlenecks.

I actually always thought the DS9 uniforms were the grubby uniforms you'd wear while you were out in the field while the TNG ones were the good ones that you'd wear if your job didn't involve you shoving your hands in starship engine grease all day.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DS9 depicted the DS9 uniforms as the 'outpost' uniforms, and when a starship captain came they'd have the TNG uniform, or when Sisko was temporarily reassigned to Earth he switched to TNG style.

No explanation for Voyager wearing them though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

WGTC is a clickbait site that makes poo poo up wholesale. They even cite themselves as a source in that article.

It's also part of the Chudsphere.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I mean it really isn't when you are on a starship with replicators. The Chief Fashion Officer just does a push update to all the ships that when the crew says "uniform" to the replicator it makes version 97.5 instead of 97.4

There are massive real world practical reasons obviously, and that's all its ever really been

Consider that Starfleet personnel are constantly ignoring or deliberately misinterpreting orders so they can just do whatever they want, and that this only becomes more frequent higher up the ranks. I'm sure that it's a Starfleet captain rite of passage to reject, stall, or only partly fulfill orders to update all uniforms to version 97.5. It's a way of warning the admiral above you that if they ever want to make you do war crimes, they'll have to give you the order in person at least.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 11, 2020

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

I was gonna suggest the opposite - bring in Captain Harry Kim and have him just totally be lording it over the lowers. Gone full smug.

Keep him as an ensign but give him his own crappy old ship. His crew are all EMH Mark 1s and if he has any visitors they outrank him.

I'm kidding though, he should've been a lieutenant or something by the end of Voyager.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

The_Doctor posted:

Nope! Everyone had them!

This looks like poo poo from a bad parody.

edit: The more I look at it the worse it is, the props they're holding look like garbage as well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Duckula posted:

This looks like poo poo from a bad parody.

edit: The more I look at it the worse it is, the props they're holding look like garbage as well.

Oh yeah, it's the worst designed tablet ever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
most of the props in that show were complete trash

far below TOS or TNG quality for their era

The loving 3D printer with the stickers still on it was just embarrassing

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Westworld probably has the most optimal “future tablet”. Literally just three big pieces of glass that hinge open to make a giant display with no bezel or other gaudy 80s influenced future tech designs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

These were great props for their time

The STP stuff and a lot of recent stuff has just been the laziest Buy a Kindle and Glue Some poo poo On It prop design

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Bloop posted:

These were great props for their time

The STP stuff and a lot of recent stuff has just been the laziest Buy a Kindle and Glue Some poo poo On It prop design

I think it’s because a lot of recent sci-fi has put an emphasis on making those props functional in shots without realizing that you really don’t need to. TNG stuck stickers on PADDs for seven years and no one cared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

hegel warned us of the dangers of hd centuries ago