Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Mulva posted:

Oh gently caress I just realized that it's possible to compare Andromeda to season 3 of Disco. I'm going to laugh my rear end off if Disco somehow manages to be worse.

On the Starship Discovery, Burnham cries again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They’re already writing Disco s4, and SNW will start filming next year (obvs).

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

"writing" disco

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no_elVGGgW8

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No I’m pretty sure the guy from Reddit was right and they are burning the sets and pissing on the ashes

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

FlamingLiberal posted:

No I’m pretty sure the guy from Reddit was right and they are burning the sets and pissing on the ashes

because it's just not selling enough toys

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Space... the final... FUN-tier? What the gently caress is this?!" [slaps a monkey]

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Maybe it'll be good if they actually write a season before it starts, crazy concept I know.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Watching through the 90s X-men cartoon on D+ and it's almost embarrassing how much better and old-rear end cartoon is at long-form "prestige" storytelling than Disco and Picard were.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m watching through Babylon 5 for the first time (there’s a thread!) and I’m really enjoying the big long term plan writing. Serialisation existing in the same episode as plot of the week! It’s not always perfect, but it is a very good balance. I also appreciate with the death of the 22 episode season, you can’t do slow burn so much any more, but you could split a storyline over seasons?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cerritos rendered realistically actually doesn't look bad.

https://youtu.be/FKJYbU77uwQ

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Senor Tron posted:

Cerritos rendered realistically actually doesn't look bad.

https://youtu.be/FKJYbU77uwQ

I like the design a lot. It's goofy enough to be appropriate for the show it's on, but not stupid. And it's neat to see TV TNG/DS9 era design used again.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I’m watching through Babylon 5 for the first time (there’s a thread!) and I’m really enjoying the big long term plan writing. Serialisation existing in the same episode as plot of the week! It’s not always perfect, but it is a very good balance. I also appreciate with the death of the 22 episode season, you can’t do slow burn so much any more, but you could split a storyline over seasons?

What's especially impressive about that show is that when Michael O'Hare suddenly had to stop after season 1 because of mental issues, this was no problem at all for the writers. Supposedly, JMS already had a drawer full of long-term backup plans in case any of the main cast suddenly dropped out.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Technowolf posted:

Watching through the 90s X-men cartoon on D+ and it's almost embarrassing how much better and old-rear end cartoon is at long-form "prestige" storytelling than Disco and Picard were.

Just watch Gargoyles, it's got most of the TNG cast in it.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ok the intro gag for lower decks is amazing. actually :lol:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

"employ the janeway protocol"

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

oh my god episode 2 is so good

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lower Decks is bad. The jokes aren't funny and the characters aren't likeable. It feels like the fifth season of a show, where they've used up all their good ideas and they're just going through the motions.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Lower Decks is bad. The jokes aren't funny and the characters aren't likeable. It feels like the fifth season of a show, where they've used up all their good ideas and they're just going through the motions.

It's not bad but there's no spark of genius that makes it a season 1 Rick and Morty comparator. It's very watchable.

e: I don't like that we've had two episodes in a row where the cast have been paired off in the same way. That's a warning sign and the show will get old real quick if they can't mix the cast up and use different character dynamics to tell stories.

It was extremely Star Trek that the B-Plot was thatnobody cares what job you do as long as you are a) competent and b) it's what you find fulfilling

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 13, 2020

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Alchenar posted:

It was extremely Star Trek that the B-Plot was thatnobody cares what job you do as long as you are a) competent and b) it's what you find fulfilling

This with the ending of Tendi and Rutherford happily hanging out in the Jefferies-tube enjoying what both makes them feel fulfilled, together was just so Star Trek.

I also absolutely love the music, I get such vibes of the TOS movies.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

That episode was totally fine!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alchenar posted:

e: I don't like that we've had two episodes in a row where the cast have been paired off in the same way. That's a warning sign and the show will get old real quick if they can't mix the cast up and use different character dynamics to tell stories.

Early reviewers expressed the same concerns, so it very well may continue. IIRC they got 4 episodes so it may continue being an issue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The very first establishing shot and music sting made me feel comfy. Star Trek has pavlov'd me hard.

All fine, but I do hope the show tones down 'Boimler is such a weenie' soon. Just a bit.

(Oh hey, the warp core actually looks appropriately sized to power a starship on this ship! Benefits of cartoon-land)

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

lol you fuckin nerds. that episode owned

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The very first establishing shot and music sting made me feel comfy. Star Trek has pavlov'd me hard.

It's so weird that there's clearly producers and composers still around who understand what a Star Trek score is supposed to be, but they haven't put one into a show since Voyager.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just saw an interview where they say that the California class are utility ships, and there are actually a number of variants: Cerritos is the engineering support sub-class, which is why it has a big yellow stripe, and we might see science or medical versions pop up with a blue stripe, or diplomatic or command ships pop up with a red one.

Nicely nerdy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like CBS put the first episode up on YouTube region-free and, bravely, comments enabled. Guess they liked what they saw from fan reactions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HzRGqvRK8U

Starting the second episode now. Weird being excited about a weekly Trek.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 13, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Looks like CBS put the first episode up on YouTube region-free and, bravely, comments enabled:

Guess they liked what they saw from fan reactions.

They might be looking for regional watch statistics they can use to pitch it to global networks, too.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Just saw an interview where they say that the California class are utility ships, and there are actually a number of variants: Cerritos is the engineering support sub-class, which is why it has a big yellow stripe, and we might see science or medical versions pop up with a blue stripe, or diplomatic or command ships pop up with a red one.

Nicely nerdy.
The paranoid idiot in me heard this and immediately though "ah, good, now they've given Star Trek Online a reason to sell the ship as a three-pack of different variants instead of as a single ship, just like how that ship that showed up at the end of PIC is technically three different classes as well".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Episode two was really fun! This show is definitely giving me a lot of what I need in a Star Trek package.

I hope they tone down Mariner a LITTLE bit. She’s kind of the only one pumping out the ZANY that I was worried about, and doing it at warp 9.999. Maybe bring it down to a sustainable warp six?

Lot of good things to say about this series so far, I’ll have to give this a re-watch to put together some thoughts.

Also to remove all doubt, the computer voice is certainly not Majel.

E:

Martytoof posted:

e: OK I absolutely can NOT wait to see the toony representations of the other species. I've got a good feeling about Lower Deck style Ferengi :cool:

loving DELIVERED. It was REALLY awesome to see other races in the toony style. Especially the Ferengi. God I hope we have a Ferengi episode somehow.

GIMME YER PROFIT!!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 13, 2020

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I hope they tone down Mariner a LITTLE bit. She’s kind of the only one pumping out the ZANY that I was worried about, and doing it at warp 9.999. Maybe bring it down to a sustainable warp six?

She seemed not quite as bad in episode 2 as she was in episode 1, but frankly Boimler's whole sad sack tryhard routine is already wearing thin to me. At this point I like Rutherford/Tendi a lot more than Mariner/Boimler but I'm hoping that as the season goes on they can back off the One Defining Characteristic a bit for all four of them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Handsome Wife posted:

She seemed not quite as bad in episode 2 as she was in episode 1, but frankly Boimler's whole sad sack tryhard routine is already wearing thin to me. At this point I like Rutherford/Tendi a lot more than Mariner/Boimler but I'm hoping that as the season goes on they can back off the One Defining Characteristic a bit for all four of them.

Hey, Tendi doesn't have one defining characteristic. She has none.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I agree, and I’m optimistic that the writers will find their legs once they have the setup episodes out of the way and the in-show universe coheres a little more.

I’m not going to nitpick it too much because I really did enjoy it, but I can definitely see that they’re going to need to expand. If they keep pairing up smug know-it-all with sad-sack, and the two awkward nerds without at least making it more interesting, rather than just throwing them into increasingly bizarre situations, it’ll get old quick.

So I dunno, for the most part it’s really trending up.

E: Where is this in the timeline? I’d love for Stewart to provide a zany take on Picard. Maybe something like having the mediocre LDS captain go on a mission with Picard and get increasingly annoyed that Picard is genuinely good at his job or something — kind of like a less dumb version of the boimler-mariner plot we had today. I have to imagine Stewart would be 1,000% down for something funny given his previous voice work.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 13, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'The Janeway Protocol' raised a smile but most of this episode was desperately unfunny, again. Aside from being the only modern show to carry on the aesthetics and design sensibilities of the 90s shows i really don't know what you guys are seeing in this, it could certainly become a good show but right now it's about as entertaining as a cancer diagnosis

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I've got some continued nitpicks but I'll just have to try to let them go because that was very fun. I just wish character actions were a bit more grounded and actions had slightly more realistic consequences, but oh well.

Looking forward to Boimler getting a (real) win and Mariner getting a (real) loss based on their personal stances, that would definitely balance out my annoyances with them. For sure want the other two to get fleshed out more though.

e: My favorite gags of the episode were everything with the Ferengi, how supportive everyone was of the various transfers, and the big tough alien being scared of his dad getting mad.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 13, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

multijoe posted:

right now it's about as entertaining as a cancer diagnosis

I’m making the cat doctor face right now :|

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

multijoe posted:

right now it's about as entertaining as a cancer diagnosis

:chloe:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I’m making the cat doctor face right now :|

I'm complaining on the internet about Star Trek, I would be dishonouring my Usenet forebearers if I wasn't absurdly hyperbolic in my criticisms. It is very bad though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Martytoof posted:

E: Where is this in the timeline? I’d love for Stewart to provide a zany take on Picard. Maybe something like having the mediocre LDS captain go on a mission with Picard and get increasingly annoyed that Picard is genuinely good at his job or something — kind of like a less dumb version of the boimler-mariner plot we had today. I have to imagine Stewart would be 1,000% down for something funny given his previous voice work.

It's right after Nemesis, so Picard is captain of the Enterprise-E and Jonathan Frakes is captain of the Titan. I imagine both of them would be up for it. It'd be nice to see the Titan. (I wonder if they'd use the design that's been used for it across the books/comics/videogames and has a collectable model out. Probably not.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Looks like CBS put the first episode up on YouTube region-free and, bravely, comments enabled. Guess they liked what they saw from fan reactions:

Starting the second episode now. Weird being excited about a weekly Trek.

meh